A good STING thing? Yes!

treeduck

Yeah, he's a pompous wanker at times like Boner from U2 but Police and his first 2 solo albums are solid.

I also LOVE his Billy Idol role on The Sinatra Group when he was a SNL musical guest with Rock as Luther Campbell, Myers as Steve Lawrence and the late Jan Hooks as Sinead. RIP Phil and Jan.

"The bald chick! What's with her head?! 14 in the side pocket!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdIJimk-w8

Edited by invisible airwave

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.

Once a tw*t always a tw*t.
  • Like 2

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Hahahahaha! One of the biggest jerks on the planet Earth, but I will take him over BOZO I mean Bono any day! Bruce Springsteen sucks ass too!

• Like 2

Whatever his personality, Sting is an absolutely brilliant songwriter and lyricist.
  • Like 6

Whatever his personality, Sting is an absolutely brilliant songwriter and lyricist.

He's also a stellar musician. I would say half of his output at this point does nothing for me...and some of it I actively dislike...but he is not a vacant pop star by any means. I saw him on the tour he and Peter Gabriel did a few years back. I mostly went to see Gabriel, a guy I had not managed to see at that point. I was really really impressed by Sting at that gig! He was in his mid 60's and still killing it as a bassist and singer. And unlike our beloved Mr. Lee, Sting's voice is still in very fine form. I get that he's a pretentious guy - I actually find both him and Stewart Copeland completely intolerable - but he is super talented.

• Like 3

And I watched the interview. I felt like Sting had an energy like he didn't know what he was doing there, being interviewed on a youtube channel...but he seemed to warm to it as he realized that Rick knows what he's talking about. I actually enjoyed, more than Sting, hearing Dominic Miller talk. He seems like a cool guy...and I've always enjoyed his playing.
  • Like 2

He's also a stellar musician. I would say half of his output at this point does nothing for me...and some of it I actively dislike...but he is not a vacant pop star by any means. I saw him on the tour he and Peter Gabriel did a few years back. I mostly went to see Gabriel, a guy I had not managed to see at that point. I was really really impressed by Sting at that gig! He was in his mid 60's and still killing it as a bassist and singer. And unlike our beloved Mr. Lee, Sting's voice is still in very fine form. I get that he's a pretentious guy - I actually find both him and Stewart Copeland completely intolerable - but he is super talented.

I had my third (and, to date, final) child during that tour. Otherwise, I was off to Chicago or Denver to see it. I am sorry I missed it.

• Like 1

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efRQh2vspVc

Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this. Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.

Rick Beato has been one of the people that saved my sanity during the pandemic, I have learned a lot listening to him and like him a lot. Hope to listen in the next few days, bet it is good.

• Like 5

Cant deny that either.

• Like 2

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).

Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this. Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.

Rick Beato has been one of the people that saved my sanity during the pandemic, I have learned a lot listening to him and like him a lot. Hope to listen in the next few days, bet it is good.

I think his name was Ed Bernstein. He always used to interview Justin Hayward in the 80s/90s. Good interviewer. Made it better that he really idolized the Moodies and Justin, but the interviews were good just the same.

This Rick I never heard about until Goose started posting his critiques on songs which were all very good.

If you happen to listen to it, can you give a summary here?

• Like 1

I think his name was Ed Bernstein. He always used to interview Justin Hayward in the 80s/90s. Good interviewer. Made it better that he really idolized the Moodies and Justin, but the interviews were good just the same.

This Rick I never heard about until Goose started posting his critiques on songs which were all very good.

If you happen to listen to it, can you give a summary here?

I will let you know, should have a chance tomorrow to give it a listen. His YouTube channel has lots of good stuff, if anyone is looking for technical discussions about chords and playing guitar he has a bunch. He's also a big jazz fan and I have listened to some of that since I love fusion jazz. His tribute to Chick Corea when he passed was nice. I'll post more Monday evening.

Edited by Rhyta

Been lucky enough to get on the Beato train early, and although I only occasionally check out new videos he's definitely (and easily) the best music channel available anywhere right now. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about music.
  • Like 1

So I got to listen to about 20 minutes and it was very good. I think Sting thought he had got himself cornered into another dumb interview but he lightened up after Rick started talking about his choice of chords and aeolian modes. :eh: Rick is a big fan but he asks more about how he comes up with the melodies and Sting refers to Bach as an inspiration, after 8 bars of J.S.'s songs you often are surprised. He talks about his experiences as a jazz musician that molded him and it was a better teacher for him than an academy. The improvisation of jazz is key to his style. I don't know as much about the other guy Dominic but he has some good stories to share. Been some funny moments, nice to see them all share some memories.

Coincidentally, I heard this story on NPR last week about Every Breath You Take being played so often even to this day. It gets into some wonky science but it is worth a look https://www.npr.org/...e-ultimate-song

Will be back when I finish the interview :)

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1