Jump to content


A good STING thing? Yes!

to hell with goodhell

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 99904 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:39 PM

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).



Sponsored Post

#2 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2584 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:45 PM

Rick does great interviews, this is one of them. :D :clap:

#3 78jazz

78jazz

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MidWest U.S.

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.

#4 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 34101 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, he's a pompous wanker at times like Boner from U2 but Police and his first 2 solo albums are solid.

I also LOVE his Billy Idol role on The Sinatra Group when he was a SNL musical guest with Rock as Luther Campbell, Myers as Steve Lawrence and the late Jan Hooks as Sinead.  RIP Phil and Jan.

"The bald chick!  What's with her head?!  14 in the side pocket!" :lol:


Edited by invisible airwave, 20 November 2021 - 07:49 PM.


#5 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 39963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:15 PM

He's a pompous, pretentious, prick Pat, but I love him!  

Listening to the new live GIZMODROME with Stewart Copeland on the drums.  It's incredible!
They are playing some Crimson and Police songs!

#6 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 22030 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:47 PM

I love Rick. He’s very musically talented and knowledgeable. Great interview.

#7 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 53381 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:37 AM

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Now he's just an older jerk.

Edited by Lorraine, 21 November 2021 - 12:39 AM.


#8 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 53381 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:39 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 20 November 2021 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).


Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this.    Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.

#9 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 39963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 November 2021 - 02:14 AM

View PostLorraine, on 21 November 2021 - 12:37 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Now he's just an older jerk.

LOL!

Correct!

#10 zepphead

zepphead

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5888 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 21 November 2021 - 02:38 AM

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Once a tw*t always a tw*t.

#11 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 39963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 November 2021 - 03:16 AM

View Postzepphead, on 21 November 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Once a tw*t always a tw*t.

Hahahahaha!   One of the biggest jerks on the planet Earth, but I will take him over BOZO I mean Bono any day!  Bruce Springsteen sucks ass too!

#12 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 82357 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 21 November 2021 - 05:32 PM

View Postzepphead, on 21 November 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Once a tw*t always a tw*t.
Whatever his personality,  Sting is an absolutely brilliant songwriter and lyricist.

#13 Timbale

Timbale

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 213 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

View Postgoose, on 21 November 2021 - 05:32 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 21 November 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Once a tw*t always a tw*t.
Whatever his personality,  Sting is an absolutely brilliant songwriter and lyricist.

He's also a stellar musician.  I would say half of his output at this point does nothing for me...and some of it I actively dislike...but he is not a vacant pop star by any means.  I saw him on the tour he and Peter Gabriel did a few years back.  I mostly went to see Gabriel, a guy I had not managed to see at that point.  I was really really impressed by Sting at that gig!  He was in his mid 60's and still killing it as a bassist and singer.  And unlike our beloved Mr. Lee, Sting's voice is still in very fine form.  I get that he's a pretentious guy - I actually find both him and Stewart Copeland completely intolerable - but he is super talented.

#14 Timbale

Timbale

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 213 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

And I watched the interview.  I felt like Sting had an energy like he didn't know what he was doing there, being interviewed on a youtube channel...but he seemed to warm to it as he realized that Rick knows what he's talking about.  I actually enjoyed, more than Sting, hearing Dominic Miller talk.  He seems like a cool guy...and I've always enjoyed his playing.

#15 78jazz

78jazz

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MidWest U.S.

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:54 PM

View PostTimbale, on 21 November 2021 - 05:49 PM, said:

He's also a stellar musician.  I would say half of his output at this point does nothing for me...and some of it I actively dislike...but he is not a vacant pop star by any means.  I saw him on the tour he and Peter Gabriel did a few years back.  I mostly went to see Gabriel, a guy I had not managed to see at that point.  I was really really impressed by Sting at that gig!  He was in his mid 60's and still killing it as a bassist and singer.  And unlike our beloved Mr. Lee, Sting's voice is still in very fine form.  I get that he's a pretentious guy - I actually find both him and Stewart Copeland completely intolerable - but he is super talented.

I had my third (and, to date, final) child during that tour. Otherwise, I was off to Chicago or Denver to see it. I am sorry I missed it.

#16 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2584 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:50 PM

View PostLorraine, on 21 November 2021 - 12:39 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 20 November 2021 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).


Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this. Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.
Rick Beato has been one of the people that saved my sanity during the pandemic, I have learned a lot listening to him and like him a lot.  Hope to listen in the next few days, bet it is good.

#17 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 53381 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:50 PM

View Postgoose, on 21 November 2021 - 05:32 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 21 November 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

View Post78jazz, on 20 November 2021 - 07:15 PM, said:

I think most people base their negative opinion on the Sting of the early 1980`s.

Sting since then? He appears to have matured quite a bit.
Once a tw*t always a tw*t.
Whatever his personality,  Sting is an absolutely brilliant songwriter and lyricist.
Cant deny that either.

#18 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 53381 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:53 PM

View PostRhyta, on 21 November 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 21 November 2021 - 12:39 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 20 November 2021 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).


Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this. Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.
Rick Beato has been one of the people that saved my sanity during the pandemic, I have learned a lot listening to him and like him a lot.  Hope to listen in the next few days, bet it is good.
I think his name was Ed Bernstein.   He always used to interview Justin Hayward in the 80s/90s.   Good interviewer.   Made it better that he really idolized the Moodies and Justin, but the interviews were good just the same.

This Rick I never heard about until Goose started posting his critiques on songs which were all very good.

If you happen to listen to it, can you give a summary here?

#19 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2584 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:45 AM

View PostLorraine, on 21 November 2021 - 11:53 PM, said:

View PostRhyta, on 21 November 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 21 November 2021 - 12:39 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 20 November 2021 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't like Sting, I think he's a dick...normally, but this is good, thanks to Rick Piato (Brian May's name for him).


Wish I had the hour to devote to listening to this. Maybe even I would choose my opinion about Sting.
Rick Beato has been one of the people that saved my sanity during the pandemic, I have learned a lot listening to him and like him a lot.  Hope to listen in the next few days, bet it is good.
I think his name was Ed Bernstein.   He always used to interview Justin Hayward in the 80s/90s.   Good interviewer.   Made it better that he really idolized the Moodies and Justin, but the interviews were good just the same.

This Rick I never heard about until Goose started posting his critiques on songs which were all very good.

If you happen to listen to it, can you give a summary here?
I will let you know, should have a chance tomorrow to give it a listen.  His YouTube channel has lots of good stuff, if anyone is looking for technical discussions about chords and playing guitar he has a bunch.  He's also a big jazz fan and I have listened to some of that since I love fusion jazz.  His tribute to Chick Corea when he passed was nice.  I'll post more Monday evening.

Edited by Rhyta, 22 November 2021 - 02:46 AM.


#20 stoopid

stoopid

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1827 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

Been lucky enough to get on the Beato train early, and although I only occasionally check out new videos he's definitely (and easily) the best music channel available anywhere right now.  He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about music.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users