Roger Daltrey calls the Stones a "mediocre pub band"

treeduck

Discussing frontman Mick Jagger, Roger said: 'You've got to take your hat off to him. He's the number one rock 'n' roll performer.

He then added: 'But as a band, if you were outside a pub and you heard that music coming out of a pub some night, you'd think, "Well, that's a mediocre pub band!"'

and Paul "Macca" McCartney said:

Despite their commercial success, the group have drawn criticism from others in the past including The Beatles' Sir Paul, who has made a string of explosive comments about the fellow rockers - all peppered with loose compliments.

Speaking to The New Yorker last month, he said: 'I'm not sure I should say it, but they're a blues cover band, that's sort of what the Stones are. I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs', in regard to the two groups.

https://codacollection.co/films/roger-daltrey-the-coda-collection-interview

• Like 1

Discussing frontman Mick Jagger, Roger said: 'You've got to take your hat off to him. He's the number one rock 'n' roll performer.

He then added: 'But as a band, if you were outside a pub and you heard that music coming out of a pub some night, you'd think, "Well, that's a mediocre pub band!"'

and Paul "Macca" McCartney said:

Despite their commercial success, the group have drawn criticism from others in the past including The Beatles' Sir Paul, who has made a string of explosive comments about the fellow rockers - all peppered with loose compliments.

Speaking to The New Yorker last month, he said: 'I'm not sure I should say it, but they're a blues cover band, that's sort of what the Stones are. I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs', in regard to the two groups.

https://codacollection.co/films/roger-daltrey-the-coda-collection-interview

Their comments are not wholly untrue, imo. But "mediocre" is certainly unfair.
  • Like 4

Sorry but a mediocre bar band would never reach the heights that the Stones have and / or have as long a career. They were all super successful. Not sure why they have to take shots at each other. Other than personal animosity.
  • Like 1

Love all three bands, likely in the order of The Who, The Beatles and then the Stones. I don't know the context of the Daltrey comments...but, if he's talking about the way the Stones currently sound cranking out the old hits, I think he makes a fair point. I've been checking out a few clips to see the great Steve Jordan playing, to watch how he fits into the group...and none of the clips I've seen sound stellar. They're all ok...which is kinda the same as saying mediocre. I'm sure if Roger puts Goat's Head Soup on the turntable, he can hear how f**king good it is.

Also, kinda interesting, given how they have a history of fighting like brothers, that it is Townshend who has always been the staunchest fan of the Stones. Heard him say a few times that they are the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

Edited by Timbale
  • Like 2

I prefer The Who over Beatles and Stones.

That being said, he needs to lay off the crackpipe. They were great in their prime, no denying it.

The Who BLOW The Stones and Beatles AWAY! But they are the British Holy Trinity.

Replace the Stones with Pink Floyd or the Kinks, and I agree with the second half of your statement.

The first part is right on. The Beatles and the Who are #1 and #2 IMNSHO.

• Like 2

That being said, he needs to lay off the crackpipe. They were great in their prime, no denying it.

The Who BLOW The Stones and Beatles AWAY! But they are the British Holy Trinity.

Replace the Stones with Pink Floyd or the Kinks, and I agree with the second half of your statement.

Got it my friend! I would then ditch The Beatles and The Stones and go with:

THE WHO

IRON MAIDEN

CAMEL

:no: :no: :no:

THE WHO

IRON MAIDEN

CAMEL

If we're going beyond the 60s then I'd add "the only band that mattered."

"No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones!"

"Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust!"

Edited by invisible airwave

THE WHO

IRON MAIDEN

CAMEL

Earl likes to be a "rebel" music fan. The Beatles and Stones are too popular for him, too well known, not "cool" enough and he's bored of them.

What's with the Stones getting crap lately?

Honestly, Mike Nesmith from the Monkees should pipe up and call them all out. The Monkees are #1.

• Like 1

"Those British boys want to play the blues so bad. And they play them so bad."

Chester Burnett, bka Howlin Wolf, who cut "The Howlin Wolf London Sessions" in 1971 with the likes of Clapton, Watts, Winwood, and Wyman. Wolf is alleged to have called the recordings "dogshit."

Chester Burnett, bka Howlin Wolf, who cut "The Howlin Wolf London Sessions" in 1971 with the likes of Clapton, Watts, Winwood, and Wyman. Wolf is alleged to have called the recordings "dogshit."

:lol:

It is probably just talking smack. Maybe they don't like the fact that the Stones are still going strong almost 60 years later (or at least what's left of them). I love the Who but they wouldn't sell out a stadium like the Stones right now. Somehow even if it is just Mick and Keith left from the original band, they just seem more "authentic". And as for them not sounding great in video clips....they are approaching 80! I hope I still have a percentage of that left when I am 80!
  • Like 1

It is probably just talking smack. Maybe they don't like the fact that the Stones are still going strong almost 60 years later (or at least what's left of them). I love the Who but they wouldn't sell out a stadium like the Stones right now. Somehow even if it is just Mick and Keith left from the original band, they just seem more "authentic". And as for them not sounding great in video clips....they are approaching 80! I hope I still have a percentage of that left when I am 80!

To my ears I don’t think they’ve sounded better. I think they always wanted to sound like old blues men and they finally arrived.

• Like 2

With the likes of Clapton post-cream post-Derek and the Dominoes? Yeah, I can see why that might have turned out mediocre. Put Mick Taylor in there, and swap out Winwood for Nicky Hopkins... oh I guess I'm just asking for The Stones themselves at this point, lol.

• Like 1