Which book?

physics23

Which book should we read?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which book should we read?

• The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    • The Old Man and the Sea

Since this idea's quickly gaining momentum, why wait any longer? confused13.gif If it's cool with everyone here, in a few weeks (once everyone's had the chance to finish up the book they're reading now and to get themselves a copy of what we'll read) we'll read either C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. cheer.gif

http://www.wla.lib.wi.us/legis/images/button.jpg

I went with CS Lewis. I have never read this book, yes surprising I know! My son is also reading so we have it here and the movie is coming out.

My question is, How long do we have to read the book? Those are both short ones and can be read easily within an hour or 2.

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 11 2005, 03:41 PM)
I went with CS Lewis. I have never read this book, yes surprising I know! My son is also reading so we have it here and the movie is coming out.

My question is, How long do we have to read the book? Those are both short ones and can be read easily within an hour or 2.

Although I read both books, I was just a little boy when I read Lion Witch Wardrobe, and I didn't really enjoy Old Man and the Sea when I read it several years ago. Since they're making Lion Witch Wardrobe into a movie, people here might prefer to read that one first - and I wouldn't mind at all reading it again.

One possibility is to divide the book up into three or four parts. That way we can talk about the beginning, then move on to the middle, and conclude with the end. Unless there are better ideas. smile.gif

Went with Hemmingway - The Lion, The Witch etc. is part of a longer sieries (Chronicles of Narnia), while Hemmingway is self contained.

Having said that, I found "Lion......" more enjoyable when I read it last, but Ernest might be a better bet for some serious discussion.

I'm game for THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA. I have only seen the movie version and I bet it would be a good read. I don't think I've read anything serious since college, but what the hell. Sounds like a good idea to have the TRF book club. I could use something besides comic books to read every now ant then.

Hemingway, to start with...I read it last year, but am game to pick it up and read it again.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 11 2005, 03:29 PM)
Since this idea's quickly gaining momentum, why wait any longer? confused13.gif If it's cool with everyone here, in a few weeks (once everyone's had the chance to finish up the book they're reading now and to get themselves a copy of what we'll read) we'll read either C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. cheer.gif

what? Are we gonna read one or the other and discuss? If so.....sounds a lot like English class. Count me out!! laugh.gif

Great idea... but not much choice. I picked The Old Man & The Sea because I have never read it yet... but would have preferred something a bit more, uh, light? Entertaining, perhaps? Still, not complaining.

Oh, and we'll need a new forum for that...

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Nov 12 2005, 12:37 AM)
I picked the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe one. I've never read it, but I saw a cartoon based on it when I was a kid....seemed like a fantastic adventure. Old Man and the Sea was frustrating and depressing. Thanks again, Ernest!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Nov 11 2005, 10:16 PM)
I'm not gonna read it but if I was, I would pick Hemmingway.

QUOTE (Jeff_Rosso)
what? Are we gonna read one or the other and discuss? If so.....sounds a lot like English class. Count me out!!  laugh.gif

Resistance is futile.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 11 2005, 04:29 PM)
Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea

i don't mean to offend anyone or steal davey's signature hurl but..

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

my english teacher made our class read it. i *attempted* to read the first chapter & couldn't read any more because it..was..so..boring..ahh! i ended up making like an 80 on the test. half the class didn't read it, & the half that did said it sucked!! unsure.gif

just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents! wink.gif

this is an awesome idea physics!

QUOTE (Jeff Rosso @ Nov 11 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 11 2005, 03:29 PM)
Since this idea's quickly gaining momentum, why wait any longer?  confused13.gif If it's cool with everyone here, in a few weeks (once everyone's had the chance to finish up the book they're reading now and to get themselves a copy of what we'll read) we'll read either C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. cheer.gif

what? Are we gonna read one or the other and discuss? If so.....sounds a lot like English class. Count me out!! laugh.gif

My thoughts exactly.

Plus the choices suck IMO.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 12 2005, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 12 2005, 04:45 PM)

What wouldn't suck in your opinion?

First, my opinion here doesn't matter.

Second, even if it did, as I have agreed with Mr. Rosso, it's too much like English class.

I read books for my enjoyment, not to debate the content confused13.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 12 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 12 2005, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 12 2005, 04:45 PM)

What wouldn't suck in your opinion?

Second, even if it did, as I have agreed with Mr. Rosso, it's too much like English class.

I read books for my enjoyment, not to debate the content confused13.gif

1) It matters to me.

2) Forget English Class

So, what books do you read for you enjoyment?

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 12 2005, 09:02 PM)

Yes, it does Dweez. A lot. Sometimes you make it hard for people to respect what you say, but on the few occasions you let your guard down, what you have to say is clearly intelligent, well thought out and relevant.

I read books for my enjoyment, not to debate the content.

I don't know how other education systems work, but here we tended to read solely to gain points for exams. When reading and studying, I never considered what the author meant or what the relevance or not of the book was, I studied with one question foremost in my head.

"What's going to get me an A or a B?"

The whole idea of a book club is to revisit books and study them not for an exam, or for a teacher, or for a parent, but for yourself.

I'm in.

Edited by madra sneachta

goodpost.gif Firstly Physics great idea to start a book club. My vote went to the OLD MAN AND THE SEA have always wanted to read that book. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 12 2005, 05:05 PM)
on the few occasions you let your guard down,

I didn't let him down. I just dropped him when I stumbled once. confused13.gif

In my defense though, they're heavy bastards! I think it's all that pasta and red meat they eat. yes.gif

Damn those union rules making me carry them around. wacko.gif

After dropping the last one (and getting sued as a result), I invested in some kevlar and am currently taking jujitsu.

But I like to keep a guard around for company. They don't say much, but I look important with one of them always around with those dark glasses and dark suits. cool.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 13 2005, 07:11 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 12 2005, 05:05 PM)
on the few occasions you let your guard down,

I didn't let him down. I just dropped him when I stumbled once. confused13.gif

In my defense though, they're heavy bastards! I think it's all that pasta and red meat they eat. yes.gif

Damn those union rules making me carry them around. wacko.gif

After dropping the last one (and getting sued as a result), I invested in some kevlar and am currently taking jujitsu.

But I like to keep a guard around for company. They don't say much, but I look important with one of them always around with those dark glasses and dark suits. cool.gif

z7shysterical.gif