Me: "That's Delicious". You: "Wtf?"

pjbear05

I was initially going to make this a reply to the " Food You Hated As A Kid" thread, but realized it's a thread unto itself:

What food dish-regional, ethnic, or otherwise, is something you enjoy that other folks either dislike or recoil at the mention of? And please, let's not let it disintegrate into the often contested merits-or percieved demerits-of various styles of pizza.

I sometimes have difficulty with others perception of a dish known to me as "City Chicken", going back to when chicken wasn't as plentiful as it is now, and was saved for Sunday dinner or special occasions. City Chicken was pieces of cheaper, say for stewing, cuts of pork and veal, threaded onto a small wooden skewer. These were dipped in egg wash, coated in seasoned breadcrumbs or cracker meal, and browned in hot oil on all sides. Water or stock was added, the heat was lowered, and the cooking vessel was covered. The dish would simmer or stew until tender, and served with potatoes and a vegetable.

Have at it, folks!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I was initially going to make this a reply to the " Food You Hated As A Kid" thread, but realized it's a thread unto itself:

What food dish-regional, ethnic, or otherwise, is something you enjoy that other folks either dislike or recoil at the mention of? And please, let's not let it disintegrate into the often contested merits-or percieved demerits-of various styles of pizza.

I sometimes have difficulty with others perception of a dish known to me as "City Chicken", going back to when chicken wasn't as plentiful as it is now, and was saved for Sunday dinner or special occasions. City Chicken was pieces of cheaper, say for stewing, cuts of pork and veal, threaded onto a small wooden skewer. These were dipped in egg wash, coated in seasoned breadcrumbs or cracker meal, and browned in hot oil on all sides. Water or stock was added, the heat was lowered, and the cooking vessel was covered. The dish would simmer or stew until tender, and served with potatoes and a vegetable.

Have at it, folks!

City chicken was delicious! I remember it well.

• Like 1

A coup,e of places I've worked people have been grossed out by my eating sardines. Love'em. Sandwiches, on rice, in a salad. Yummy.

Liver is OK if prepared right. It's so minerally that you know its super good for you. Anchovies and Sardines are wonderful in the right context. Scallops are the only true shellfish that I can eat, allergic to oysters et al. Tripe, organs, sweet meats, gizzards and all that S I would have to be VERY hungry to eat. Grits or any type of hominy based food is a gagomatic for me, though I love corn otherwise.

The only thing I can think of that others might find strange is salmon salad with Italian dressing. A summer favorite.