Does Anyone Have Any "Vinyl Confessions" On Here? We Aren't In Kansas Anymore! Are We?

RUSHHEAD666

I know there are a lot of KANSAS Freaks on here! I love them too! I know 73 and Pat love this band!!

However, I confess that I really only loved everything from the beginning to "Audio-Visions."

Well I found "Vinyl Confessions" on lp for 7 bucks and plopped this sucker on my turntable.

I think it's great! Took me years, but finally tonight I totally dig it!

I then decided to give "Drastic Measures" another chance. YUCK! "Fight Fire With Fire" is ok, but you can tell KANSAS wanted to write commercial hits and pop crap.

The drum sound it so polished and sounds like crap.

I noticed that the 80's really fuckked up bands from the 70's right?

Another example is Molly Hatchet. I love this band! Everything up to "No Guts No Glory" is excellent.

But then in1984, they put out "The Deed Is Done." More like "The Greed Is Dung." More polished drum sound with a lame ass echo on the snare drum. Keys in Hatchet? YUCK!!!

Anyway, there are a few of my vinyl confessions for the night.

• Like 1

I know there are a lot of KANSAS Freaks on here! I love them too! I know 73 and Pat love this band!!

However, I confess that I really only loved everything from the beginning to "Audio-Visions."

Well I found "Vinyl Confessions" on lp for 7 bucks and plopped this sucker on my turntable.

I then decided to give "Drastic Measures" another chance. YUCK! "Fight Fire With Fire" is ok, but you can tell KANSAS wanted to write commercial hits and pop crap.

Another example is Molly Hatchet. I love this band! Everything up to "No Guts No Glory" is excellent.

But then in1984, they put out "The Deed Is Done." More like "The Greed Is Dung." More polished drum sound with a lame ass echo on the snare drum. Keys in Hatchet? YUCK!!!

I've never gone past Point Of Know Return. I'm sure I'd love some of the later stuff, but those first five LPs are so immaculate I find myself not really caring when I get to the rest.

• Like 1

I've never gone past Point Of Know Return. I'm sure I'd love some of the later stuff, but those first five LPs are so immaculate I find myself not really caring when I get to the rest.

I read you loud and clear buddy!

I also tried to listen to "Power" and "In The Spirit Of Things." Complete Crap. Shocked Steve Morse is on those records. Steve is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet. Dixie Dregs, The Dregs, Steve Morse Band and all the Deep Purple stuff he's on RULES!

Pat loves those two records if my memory serves me correctly. I don't get it.

• Like 1

I also tried to listen to "Power" and "In The Spirit Of Things." Complete Crap. Shocked Steve Morse is on those records. Steve is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet. Dixie Dregs, The Dregs, Steve Morse Band and all the Deep Purple stuff he's on RULES!

I've got a Dixie Dregs record, but my favorite thing about it is an epic violin solo on track 2. Otherwise I'll probably take Return To Forever or Al Di Meolo solo.

• Like 1

I've always liked it. I got the album on LP, a promo copy, not for sale, from Vinyl Exchange in Manchester and this was 1982. These days I listen to the Rock Candy CD edition which is cool.

• Like 1

I love those albums too. Great albums with tons of Morse virtuosity and full of Walsh's epic melodic vocals. I also enjoy Drastic Measures another underrated album. After the 80's though it all falls apart, including Walsh's voice.

• Like 1

I've got a Dixie Dregs record, but my favorite thing about it is an epic violin solo on track 2. Otherwise I'll probably take Return To Forever or Al Di Meolo solo.

Oh wow! I love where this thread is going! I've seen Return To Forever and Al Di on a solo tour. Al Rules! His solo stuff up to "Electric Rendezvous" is brilliant!!

After the solo Al Di gig in SF I raced out to the merch booth and bought a photo of Al on his rainbow guitar.

I was first in line for the meet and greet.

He came out after the show was over.

Right when he sat down I said... "Hey Al, I think you are better than Alex Lifeson!"

Al looked up and me... smiled, and said... "Wow!! This meet and greet is getting off to a great start! Thanks!"

He signed my photo and I split!

• Like 2

I've always liked it. I got the album on LP, a promo copy, not for sale, from Vinyl Exchange in Manchester and this was 1982. These days I listen to the Rock Candy CD edition which is cool.

That's funny Pat. You had the Vinyl Exchange. I had the Record Exchange in Walnut Creek Ca. Back then a very young Sebastian Bach would be in there all the time in the summers when he came up to visit his grandmother! It's in his book buddy. True story. I'm sure I walked right by the kid many times!

I have the Rock Candy cd too.

• Like 1

Oh wow! I love where this thread is going! I've seen Return To Forever and Al Di on a solo tour. Al Rules! His solo stuff up to "Electric Rendezvous" is brilliant!!

After the solo Al Di gig in SF I raced out to the merch booth and bought a photo of Al on his rainbow guitar.

Right when he sat down I said... "Hey Al, I think you are better than Alex Lifeson!"

Al looked up and me... smiled, and said... "Wow!! This meet and greet is getting off to a great start! Thanks!"

Wow awesome! I hope it wasn't all downhill from there...

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than Joe Perry."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than KK Downing."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than Kerry King."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, you suck!"

• Like 1

That's funny Pat. You had the Vinyl Exchange. I had the Record Exchange in Walnut Creek Ca. Back then a very young Sebastian Bach would be in there all the time in the summers when he came up to visit his grandmother! It's in his book buddy. True story. I'm sure I walked right by the kid many times!

It's still there Earl!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Satisfied Man was not a Molly H. highlight. Some of their later stuff, like Southern Rock Masters and Devil's Canyon is more like it... but the lineup from the 70s and 80s are literally all dead. They always were the world's heaviest band!
  • Like 1

I love those albums too. Great albums with tons of Morse virtuosity and full of Walsh's epic melodic vocals. I also enjoy Drastic Measures another underrated album. After the 80's though it all falls apart, including Walsh's voice.

Freaks Of Nature opens up with I Can Fly, which starts off with Walsh wailing the worst note you can imagine. Most of the rest of the album is fine in terms of vocals, but doesn't compare to how it was just 6 years prior. and Somewhere To Elsewhere, I think his voice sounds cool in some parts. Icarus II great vocal performance, Distant Vision, but in other parts you can definitely tell his voice is struggling a bit. Good thing he had Robby Steinhardt and Billy Greer.

But despite that, I still don't think Kansas has any bad albums, even though Elsewhere has quite a bit of filler, still think its a solid album. I love the Elefante albums, and the Morse albums. But oh how great their last 2 albums are, one of the best comebacks from a band ever

• Like 2

Wow awesome! I hope it wasn't all downhill from there...

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than Joe Perry."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than KK Downing."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, I think you're better than Kerry King."

The next guy in line: "Hey Al, you suck!"

Hahahaha!!

• Like 1

It's still there Earl!

image.jpg

So cool!

The Record Exchange is long gone but I was in Monterey with my woman 5 months ago and we went to a tiny record shop there. My buddy Bob was there!! He used to run The Record Exchange back in the 80s!

Bob is so cool. He looks like Lemmy. Heavy Metalist like us. I dropped 500 bucks in his store on rare metal vinyl. It was like the old days!! I was in there for an hour shooting the shit with him!!

• Like 1

Satisfied Man was not a Molly H. highlight. Some of their later stuff, like Southern Rock Masters and Devil's Canyon is more like it... but the lineup from the 70s and 80s are literally all dead. They always were the world's heaviest band!

You are right! They are all dead. My buddy used to hang out with them back in the day. They could kick Hell's Angel Ass. Didn't give a fukk about anything. Drinking, fuckking, fighting and ROCKING!

Great Band! Too many vocalist changes. Then the 80s turned them pop.

• Like 2

It's still there Earl!

image.jpg

So cool!

The Record Exchange is long gone but I was in Monterey with my woman 5 months ago and we went to a tiny record shop there. My buddy Bob was there!! He used to run The Record Exchange back in the 80s!

Bob is so cool. He looks like Lemmy. Heavy Metalist like us. I dropped 500 bucks in his store on rare metal vinyl. It was like the old days!! I was in there for an hour shooting the shit with him!!

Vinyl Exchange has changed it's look and location. It's smaller but at least it's still there.

Here's to Bob! :cheers:

• Like 1

You are right! They are all dead. My buddy used to hang out with them back in the day. They could kick Hell's Angel Ass. Didn't give a fukk about anything. Drinking, fuckking, fighting and ROCKING!

The 80's turned many bands pop, and the 90's turned many bands to goo.

• Like 1

I've thought about this Pat.

The 70's bands didn't ruin the 60's bands. The 80's did ruin the 70's bands. The 90's ruined the 80's bands and the fuckking 2000's bands ruined the 90's bands.

• Like 1

It's still there Earl!

image.jpg

So cool!

Vinyl Exchange has changed it's look and location. It's smaller but at least it's still there.

Cheers!!

• Like 1

I've thought about this Pat.

The 70's bands didn't ruin the 60's bands. The 80's did ruin the 70's bands. The 90's ruined the 80's bands and the fuckking 2000's bands ruined the 90's bands.

And now the bands are shit to begin with!

• Like 1

It's still there Earl!

image.jpg

So cool!

Cheers!!

Earl I was just thinking, I wonder what Earl's singing voice is like? I think you sound exactly like Ozzy Osbourne singing Wicked World with Sabbath!