Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

16 members have voted

1. 1. artist

2. 2. songwriter

3. 3. album

• Jeff Buckley - Grace
    • Nirvana - Nevermind

I came to appreciate Nirvana after being quite biased against them for a long time. Buckley on the other hand I fell in love with the first time I heard him, and every time I revisit Grace that visceral feeling comes flooding back in.

Jeff x3

Who' knows if he would have faltered after Grace. but i like him a whole bunch more than anything Nirvana and Kurt ever did. I find Nirvana/kurt woefully bland......sorry i just do.

Mick

Sadly, I think if Jeff had lived, there would have been at least one more great album in him (and maybe more).

Unfortunately, like this father, he was destined for an early death.

• Like 2

Jeff x3

Who' knows if he would have faltered after Grace. but i like him a whole bunch more than anything Nirvana and Kurt ever did. I find Nirvana/kurt woefully bland......sorry i just do.

Mick

Sadly, I think if Jeff had lived, there would have been at least one more great album in him (and maybe more).

Unfortunately, like this father, he was destined for an early death.

his dad was fantastic too.

Mick

• Like 1

Jeff Buckley was a pioneering artist?

Yes! He's cited as an influence by many bands of the 90s and 00s, not least of which Radiohead, Coldplay, and Muse. Matt Bellamy actually recently purchased one of the guitars Jeff played on Grace because he's such a huge fan (and also because he's very very rich).

• Like 2

Yes! He's cited as an influence by many bands of the 90s and 00s, not least of which Radiohead, Coldplay, and Muse. Matt Bellamy actually recently purchased one of the guitars Jeff played on Grace because he's such a huge fan (and also because he's very very rich).

Ah, when I think of pioneering artists, I think about the Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. Bands that had a unique sound and whose influence can be heard all over the musical world to this day.

Ah, when I think of pioneering artists, I think about the Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. Bands that had a unique sound and whose influence can be heard all over the musical world to this day.

I'd argue Buckley is one of the most influential artists of the 90s. Perhaps just not in genres you follow much.

• Like 1

I'd argue Buckley is one of the most influential artists of the 90s. Perhaps just not in genres you follow much.

That's probably what it is. Can't say I have really heard anything else that sounds like Grace or anyone else who sings like he did.

That's probably what it is. Can't say I have really heard anything else that sounds like Grace or anyone else who sings like he did.

I think the vocals are really what makes him so influential. I remember reading Matt Bellamy say once that he didn't know you could do soft pretty vocals with such heavy music until he heard Buckley do it, and that gave him the confidence to do something similar for Muse rather than try and imitate the vocals of other heavy bands. I also think you can hear a healthy dose of Jeff in the vocals of Caligula's Horse.

Nirvana x 3

I'm sure this is my failing, but the only Jeff Buckley song I know is a Leonard Cohen song. And I was fully sentient and listening to a lot of music in the '90s.

I heard Last Goodbye on MTV's Buzz Bin in 8th grade. It even got played on VH1 when they changed from Bolton esque crap to adult alternative stuff like Counting Crows and Hootie. Didn't know about the Cohen remake until years later.

• Like 1

Fitting reference to Black Hole Sun at the end of your sentence since he and Cornell were good friends before his death. Wave Goodbye on Euphoria Morning was his tribute to him.

• Like 1

Nirvana or Jeff Beck??

JEFF BECK BABY!

"THERE AND BACK!" LOL!

Wrong Jeff!

Maybe Nirvana vs. Beck would be a good matchup though... ;P

• Like 1

Nirvana or Jeff Beck??

JEFF BECK BABY!

"THERE AND BACK!" LOL!

Wrong Jeff!

Maybe Nirvana vs. Beck would be a good matchup though... ;P

I know buddy! Just messing with you! Just had "There And Back" on my turntable. Not into Buckley. I only like "Bleach" and "Nevermind."

I saw Nirvana once on NYE at The Cow Palace in South San Francisco. It was a great show. Chili Peppers headlined. Pearl Jam was there too and L7.

Anyway, Nirvana was solid live until they ripped off The Who and destroyed all of their instruments. Epic though. Pete would have been proud....... maybe.

• Like 1