View Postgoose, on 15 October 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 13 October 2021 - 08:07 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 13 October 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 09:09 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 12 October 2021 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 12 October 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 09:39 AM, said:

His point that Bruce Jenner had an easier time changing his gender than Cassius Clay had changing his name was something I had never thought of, to be honest.  But he's right.
To be fair, Cassisus Clay changed his name 52 years before Jenner did. Times have changed just a little bit since then so I didn't think it was a very fair comparison.

I don't know.  Cassius Clay changes his name to a Muslim name and he's vilified.   Bruce Jenner changes his gender and he's voted "woman" of the year.  I thought the point was a good one.
Union's is a better one.  Context is hugely important, and Chapelle knows that.

That is Chappelle’s point.  Bruce Jenner’s change is far more significant, and he has not just been accepted but made into a hero.  Chappelle talked about context himself when he did the bit about gays being a minority “until they need to be white.”
The more important context is time period, Rick. In regards to Chappelle's "until they need to be white", to me that shows his underlying bias.

Chappelle is black, goose.  The bit is really about how homosexuals do not face the same level of hostility that blacks face, even though both are minorities.  He explicitly acknowledges his bias when he says something along the lines of, "We're impressed with how much progress you've made so fast."  His resentment is towards homosexuals attacking him for bigotry, even though they enjoy a more privileged place in society (from Chappelle's vantage point).  That's what "until they need to be white," means.
Chapelle has joked in the past about not being from the hood.  He's a suburbanite heterosexual, and is in no place to characterize anyone of any race growing up gay in America as having enjoyed privilege.

He's also black, mayhaps you've heard of DWB (driving while black) among other things? Your skin color can make a lot of difference regardless of where you live. Ask Henry Louis Gates about that.

Sponsored Post

#42 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81222 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

Fordgalaxy, on 15 October 2021 - 09:33 PM, said:

goose, on 15 October 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

Rick N. Backer, on 13 October 2021 - 08:07 PM, said:

goose, on 13 October 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

Rick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 09:09 PM, said:

goose, on 12 October 2021 - 07:14 PM, said:

Rick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

Union 5-3992, on 12 October 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

Rick N. Backer, on 12 October 2021 - 09:39 AM, said:

His point that Bruce Jenner had an easier time changing his gender than Cassius Clay had changing his name was something I had never thought of, to be honest.  But he's right.
To be fair, Cassisus Clay changed his name 52 years before Jenner did. Times have changed just a little bit since then so I didn't think it was a very fair comparison.

I don't know.  Cassius Clay changes his name to a Muslim name and he's vilified.   Bruce Jenner changes his gender and he's voted "woman" of the year.  I thought the point was a good one.
Union's is a better one.  Context is hugely important, and Chapelle knows that.

That is Chappelle’s point.  Bruce Jenner’s change is far more significant, and he has not just been accepted but made into a hero.  Chappelle talked about context himself when he did the bit about gays being a minority “until they need to be white.”
The more important context is time period, Rick. In regards to Chappelle's "until they need to be white", to me that shows his underlying bias.

Chappelle is black, goose.  The bit is really about how homosexuals do not face the same level of hostility that blacks face, even though both are minorities.  He explicitly acknowledges his bias when he says something along the lines of, "We're impressed with how much progress you've made so fast."  His resentment is towards homosexuals attacking him for bigotry, even though they enjoy a more privileged place in society (from Chappelle's vantage point).  That's what "until they need to be white," means.
Chapelle has joked in the past about not being from the hood.  He's a suburbanite heterosexual, and is in no place to characterize anyone of any race growing up gay in America as having enjoyed privilege.

He's also black, mayhaps you've heard of DWB (driving while black) among other things? Your skin color can make a lot of difference regardless of where you live. Ask Henry Louis Gates about that.
Did blacks just recently get the right to marry?  Were they, until fairly recently, forced to deny their skin color to join the military?  

I think he's wrong to be so dismissive.

#43 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81222 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted Today, 10:44 AM

Another thing...I'd think that Dave's time in Africa would have shown him that black people don't have to refer to each other as n***** every 30 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users