Fakebook Is Down

JohnRogers

I'm going to guess that this is internal sabotage. They are too big and decentrailzed to go down across the globe because of random equipment problems or outages.

I have no proof of this of course. Just a gut feeling.

We will see.

I'm going to guess that this is internal sabotage. They are too big and decentrailzed to go down across the globe because of random equipment problems or outages.

I have no proof of this of course. Just a gut feeling.

We will see.

• Like 1

This from the AP:

The cause of the outage remains unclear. Madory said it appears Facebook withdrew “authoritative DNS routes” that let the rest of the internet communicate with its properties. Such routes are part of the internet’s Domain Name System, a central component of the internet that directs its traffic. Without Facebook broadcasting its routes on the public internet, apps and web addresses simple could not locate it...

Jake Williams, chief technical officer of the cybersecurity firm BreachQuest, said that while foul play cannot be completely ruled out, chances were good that the outage is “an operational issue” caused by human error.

Madory said there was no sign that anyone but Facebook was responsible and discounted the possibility that another major internet player, such as a telecom company, might have inadvertently rewritten major routing tables that affect Facebook.

“No one else announced these routes,” said Madory...

Computer scientists speculated that a bug introduced by a configuration change in Facebook’s routing management system could be to blame. Colombia University computer scientist Steven Bellovin tweeted that he expected Facebook would first try an automated recovery in such a case.

Very lousy timing after the whistleblower controversy from 60 minutes Sunday. :smash:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I spent the last several hours on the corner of Clifton and Park Avenues in Newark, spouting political hot takes. No one cared to listen.

BTW, Fakebook is back up.

it's back up. Social media zombies reconvene. it was a nice break from your aunts and uncle's shitty politics.

but alas.....lol

Honestly though i just talk to friends. yes i know they're watching but i just won't mention where i hid that last body.

Mick

• Like 1

I have become increasingly dependent on using Facebook Messenger as my primary means of contact with 90% of people. In the dark without it!

Fakebook Messenger is infrastructure!

:sheep: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

This from the AP:

The cause of the outage remains unclear. Madory said it appears Facebook withdrew “authoritative DNS routes” that let the rest of the internet communicate with its properties. Such routes are part of the internet’s Domain Name System, a central component of the internet that directs its traffic. Without Facebook broadcasting its routes on the public internet, apps and web addresses simple could not locate it...

Jake Williams, chief technical officer of the cybersecurity firm BreachQuest, said that while foul play cannot be completely ruled out, chances were good that the outage is “an operational issue” caused by human error.

Madory said there was no sign that anyone but Facebook was responsible and discounted the possibility that another major internet player, such as a telecom company, might have inadvertently rewritten major routing tables that affect Facebook.

“No one else announced these routes,” said Madory...

Computer scientists speculated that a bug introduced by a configuration change in Facebook’s routing management system could be to blame. Colombia University computer scientist Steven Bellovin tweeted that he expected Facebook would first try an automated recovery in such a case.

Very lousy timing after the whistleblower controversy from 60 minutes Sunday. :smash:

like the Pusher withholding smack from everyone cuz someone squeeled, lol.
  • Like 2

There seems to be a lot of anti- Facebook sentiment in this thread.

I will share some great advice from a MOTS thread on the Super Bowl halftime show provided by the esteemed J2112YYZ that I hope can be as much a help to you as it was to me that could resolve the situation and improve your life immeasurably. It was a true life changer and an incredible eye opener.

To paraphrase his wise words...if you don't like it, don't use it!

:mushroomcloudexplodes:

• Like 3

FB Messenger is not infrastructure. It's a service. Essential to some, but a service nonetheless.

Now, the internet itself, the stuff that the services need to run. That's infrastructure. Servers, cables, DNS, Data Centers, Switches......

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I will share some great advice from a MOTS thread on the Super Bowl halftime show provided by the esteemed J2112YYZ that I hope can be as much a help to you as it was to me that could resolve the situation and improve your life immeasurably. It was a true life changer and an incredible eye opener.

The experience is base a lot on who you interact with.

Ive found the unfollow feature or whatever invaluable.

Its a fine way to interact with people you want to interact with.

Its also an absolute garbage fire of screaming yelling and teeth gnashing.

• Like 3

You mean the quality of the experience can be determined by the discretion everyone has the ability to exercise?

:biggermushroomcloudexplodes:

• Like 3

You mean the quality of the experience can be determined by the discretion everyone has the ability to exercise?

:biggermushroomcloudexplodes:

Hahahaaa

• Like 1

:lol:

Of course there is some real truth to that. Fakebook like Amazon has gotten so big that it rendered somethings practically obsolete. TRF thrives while a great many forums have died due to FB Groups. Many businesses market on FB, at this time it’s almost essential to the brand I’m building.

Part of me hoped the outage would last much longer. Zuckerberg and Co. need a good kick in the nuts. Congress is likely to regulate Fakebook, be careful what you wish for...

• Like 1

I've been able to keep contact with people from different phases of my life, it's been great. I also have access to people who I'd never have interacted with if FB didn't exist. Minor celebrities, people at NASA, Just as a couple of examples.

It's always cool to have chats with people who's job has been to work on actual spacecraft. How would i do that in the old days? Go to some conference, maybe and interact for 15 seconds?

The noise is to be avoided. But the good stuff is worth staying on the platform for.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

I've been able to keep contact with people from different phases of my life, it's been great. I also have access to people who I'd never have interacted with if FB didn't exist. Minor celebrities, people at NASA, Just as a couple of examples.

It's always cool to have chats with people who's job has been to work on actual spacecraft. How would i do that in the old days? Go to some conference, maybe and interact for 15 seconds?

The noise is to be avoided. But the good stuff is worth staying on the platform for.

Exactly.
  • Like 1

as i said i rarely post anything to my wall. but in all honesty i've had a blast on there just connecting with friends and ya know what? making new ones too.

But yea if you find yourself in the wrong part of town.....FB is a dumpster fire.

Mick

• Like 3

As long as Parler is working, I'm good.

Conversely, if Parler were to have an outage, I wouldn't expect anybody to report on it.

Trump and his followers would be talking about the Deep State and Biden and who knows who else shutting it down because they (Parler) dare to allow the truth.