Immediate Thoughts

Saint NIck

Hi Friends,

Hopefully I won't get into trouble with this topic.

I'm a Catholic; and attending mass this morning, in our church it's the Feast Day of the Archangels: Michael, Gabriel & Rafael.

I got to immediately thinking of the tremendous song Workin' them Angels. Though, I haven't listened to that song in a very long time, I still think very highly of it.

For that matter, Armor & Sword and The Larger Bowl are amongst favorites from that collection.

Ironically, FAITHLESS is my favorite from Snakes & Arrows.

Again, didn't mean to cause any problems.

Take care.

• Like 3

Don't know what here would be causing any problems. Workin' Them Angels is a great song. I'm also Catholic actually, but I don't like Faithless. The lyric doesn't connect with me at all.
  • Like 3

I don't believe in any sort of God, but I can't imagine what would be wrong about posting this.

I think connecting with a song is a wonderful thing, and when a song leads you to think about your world or your world view that is always a good thing. Music is communication, and as far as I'm concerned you're communicating to us about your connections with music.

If this devolved into a debate on religion then I imagine it would be moved to another section. But as it is all you've done is tell us you really love some songs and how that connection was made.

People do this here all the time.

I also don't really like Faithless, but I do like the others you mentioned.

There are religious songs I find very meaningful, I see no conflict in a religious person finding a song critical of religion meaningful. We're complex creatures, and exploring those complexities and differences should always lead to positive growth.

• Like 5

I don't believe in any sort of God, but I can't imagine what would be wrong about posting this.

I think connecting with a song is a wonderful thing, and when a song leads you to think about your world or your world view that is always a good thing. Music is communication, and as far as I'm concerned you're communicating to us about your connections with music.

If this devolved into a debate on religion then I imagine it would be moved to another section. But as it is all you've done is tell us you really love some songs and how that connection was made.

People do this here all the time.

I also don't really like Faithless, but I do like the others you mentioned.

There are religious songs I find very meaningful, I see no conflict in a religious person finding a song critical of religion meaningful. We're complex creatures, and exploring those complexities and differences should always lead to positive growth.

Wait, didn’t we have a heated debate on the the true deity, Q vs. The Lords Of Kobol?

• Like 3

Hi Friends,

I'm a Catholic; and attending mass this morning, in our church it's the Feast Day of the Archangels: Michael, Gabriel & Rafael.

I got to immediately thinking of the tremendous song Workin' them Angels. Though, I haven't listened to that song in a very long time, I still think very highly of it.

For that matter, Armor & Sword and The Larger Bowl are amongst favorites from that collection.

Take care.

That's nice dear

Hi Friends,

Take care.

No issues with me - these songs transcend religion.

I love Working them Angels, one of the best songs on S & A. I remember Neil talked about the inspiration for it in Traveling Music.

He explains he overheard an elderly black couple who had just come off the road in the restaurant he was eating at. The wife was on her husband's case for driving like a maniac, saying he was "workin' them angels," meaning he was pushing his luck. Neil liked it and reflected on the chances he's taken over the years on his bicycle and motorcycle.

• Like 3

In his lyrics, Neil does say he has faith. He "clings to hope" and he does "believe in love". And "that's faith enough for" him.

I relate to this. What I hear in those lyrics is that Neil did not believe in religion or the church. But he does believe in love and in doing so, along with having hope, he believes that "there is more".

We all know that evil hides in many who preach and that includes in some churches. Look at the scandals of Catholic Priests and children. Look at the Taliban. The Taliban declares themselves "religious" and following their God, yet the Taliban has completed and utterly twisted the words of their God to suit their own horrific ideals. Even here in the US, many evangelists have twisted the words of their God to suit their own ideals. Some of those evangelists had hoped that the previous President of the USA would have started World War III so as to rid the world of who they consider "wrong" and then control the remaining populations.

I didn't mean to make this post "religious". I just wanted to say that I do like the song "Faithless" along with "Workin' Them Angels". I, like Neil Peart, do have faith, but not the sort that has so corrupted some in this world. I don't believe in a vengeful God that many do and would want me to. I don't believe in that corrupted "faith".

Now, regarding "A Passage To Bangkok"...

Edited by Geddyleegenes
  • Like 1

In his lyrics, Neil does say he has faith. He "clings to hope" and he does "believe in love". And "that's faith enough for" him.

I relate to this. What I hear in those lyrics is that Neil did not believe in religion or the church. But he does believe in love and in doing so, along with having hope, he believes that "there is more".

We all know that evil hides in many who preach and that includes in some churches. Look at the scandals of Catholic Priests and children. Look at the Taliban. The Taliban declares themselves "religious" and following their God, yet the Taliban has completed and utterly twisted the words of their God to suit their own horrific ideals. Even here in the US, many evangelists have twisted the words of their God to suit their own ideals. Some of those evangelists had hoped that the previous President of the USA would have started World War III so as to rid the world of who they consider "wrong" and then control the remaining populations.

I didn't mean to make this post "religious". I just wanted to say that I do like the song "Faithless" along with "Workin' Them Angels". I, like Neil Peart, do have faith, but not the sort that has so corrupted some in this world. I don't believe in a vengeful God that many do and would want me to. I don't believe in that corrupted "faith".

Now, regarding "A Passage To Bangkok"...

If you ask me, everything about the theology of Christianity and Islam screams pacifism. I will never ever understand those who claim to follow God's will by causing violence, war, suffering, and the like.

• Like 2