Exciting Genesis news!

Jack Aubrey

MusicTap reports:

Phil Collins goes on record today to say that a Genesis reunion with Gabriel at the mike is a "possibility." We have already heard Gabriel state that he'd do it but not as a revisitiation of old material. Instead, a stipulation was that he'd do it, forward moving with new material. Now Hackett, Banks, and Rutherford need to get in line with their agreements and thoughts and everyone's schedule has to be trimmed to allow it to happen. So, cross those fingers and let's hope that it works.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 9 2005, 03:30 PM)
MusicTap reports:

Phil Collins goes on record today to say that a Genesis reunion with Gabriel at the mike is a "possibility." We have already heard Gabriel state that he'd do it but not as a revisitiation of old material. Instead, a stipulation was that he'd do it, forward moving with new material. Now Hackett, Banks, and Rutherford need to get in line with their agreements and thoughts and everyone's schedule has to be trimmed to allow it to happen. So, cross those fingers and let's hope that it works.

with NEW material only? ohmy.gif

eh.gif

when is the last time that a band that's been around since the 60's (even if they were apart for a long time) made an album of new material that has been anything better than mediocre? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 9 2005, 08:04 PM)
MusicTap reports:

eh.gif

when is the last time that a band that's been around since the 60's (even if they were apart for a long time) made an album of new material that has been anything better than mediocre? confused13.gif

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were the arbiter of "all-that-which-is-cool". My mistake. From now on I will run all new music news past you first. Please forgive me.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 9 2005, 07:13 PM)
MusicTap reports:

eh.gif

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were the arbiter of "all-that-which-is-cool". My mistake. From now on I will run all new music news past you first. Please forgive me.

rofl3.gif

sorry, but Jack's post made me laugh. confused13.gif

Jack, you gotta start writing full time. You'll make a mint.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 9 2005, 05:13 PM)
MusicTap reports:

eh.gif

to me it has nothing to do with what is cool, especially as there is no such thing as anything being objectively cool. my SUBJECTIVE experience is that i've NEVER heard a reunion album or any album of new material from a group that was 35+ years old that was any good at all. i'd be happy to be proved wrong and have genesis release some stunning new album that rivals their vintage stuff, i've just never seen it happen before ever. has yes, the moody blues, the rolling stones, joni mitchell, deep purple, jethro tull, fairport convention, or any group that falls within this category put out any studio material since the early 80's that rivaled anything they did before that? if so, i haven't heard it. generally, in my experience, groups make their finest material within their first 5-10 years of their recording career, and they're extremely lucky to have great material after 10 years that rivals their early stuff when they were young and hungry and full of fresh new ideas. rush to me is an extreme exception to this rule, and a very rare exception indeed.

i'm generally just not a fan of guys in their 60's jumping around on stage and singing their classic hits if they're just a shadow of what they once were in terms of being able to make vital new material or perform anywhere close to the level of old. am i saying they should stop just because i'm not interested or because they no longer have the creativity to make the stunning classics they once did? no way. if they enjoy it, if the fans enjoy it, then more power to them. some of them do it just for money, and even that's ok too if they're happy and people are happy to see them, it's just not my thing. i think for me personally it would break my heart to see a group way past their prime that i love living off their old classics 20-30 years on, playing them at an inferior level, because it would just make me long to have seen them in their prime when their music was a living scene and not just a relic of a bygone era. if they can still play really well, that's wonderful, but it's often not the case. more power to genesis and peter gabriel for at least wanting to make new material as opposed to just living off the classics 30 years later, i'm just skeptical because i've never heard an album in that scenario that was worthwhile.

when reviewers have to say not bad or a decent effort, or they can still manage to carry a tune, that's nice, but i'll still be listening to their albums that are creative, vital, classic and brilliant, not just something that's passable or ok. some people are so fanatical about certain groups that they'll love everything they've ever done or make themsleves listen 200 times to newer inferior material so they can learn to appreciate it because it's a group they just can't conceive of doing anything bad. to me, just because i love a band and loved what they put out for years, doesn't mean my brain turns off when listening to their new albums - it HAS to be good for me to appreciate it. or i could appreciate it for what it is, but it doesn't mean i'll be listening to it very much after a handful or listens out of respect to my admiration for what they'd done before. i love jefferson airplane, but their 1989 reunion album, besides having a couple decent moments, was just bad. i love crosby stills and nash, but i heard an album of theirs from 5 years ago or so that was terrible. more recent moody blues, yes and jethro tull albums again were a mere hint of what they once were. it doesn't change how much i love those groups, but it does mean that i will be playing dark side of the moon, piper at the gates of dawn and meddle, and i will NOT be playing the division bell - it's a matter of quality. if people genuinely do enjoy the newer material of these groups, really, i'm the last person to tell them they're wrong for enjoying it - if they enjoy it, fantastic. i don't.

another example is a group like pink floyd needing a cast of 20 on stage just to pull off their material - it's all well and fine, and if you enjoy it, that's great, but to me it's just a refelection that they aren't close to what they once were and no longer have the chops to pull things off like they used to - they never needed more than 4 people playing on stage when they were making the best material imho. to me the coolest thing about the live8 concert was all the floyd members got along well enough to play together again, not the music itself which was just inferior versions of old classics no matter how you slice it. blasphemous? maybe, but look at those songs they played and compare them to the studio versions or live versions of them from the 70's and the differences are fairly glaring - they did them pretty nicely (save roger's cracking voice), and the nostalgic aspect of them playing together after so long is very poignant and all that, but it's just not something you'll hear me playing over and over save the odd moments when i can watch and say, hey, they're still ok, not bad. it would more realistically be, wow, it's nice to see them together again. that's appreciating them for entirely different reasons than for their music now.

a lot of people like to see bands that have been around forever if for no other reason than it's musicians they love and admire, and i can appreciate that. if people want to see the rolling stones now because they love the rolling stones, that's great, but have they made anything new worthwhile since tattoo you? groups like that often have minor hits from time to time because their status is such that they at least get minor airplay, but if they didn't have their history, a lot of those songs would never have been even minor hits or gotten any airplay - hell, they might not even have gotten a record contract with a big label if not for their history and status.

disagree with me if you have to, or feel free to debate me, but please remember these are my OPINIONS. i don't know why you're upset that i'm expressing my opinion. i don't expect anyone to agree with me, and in fact people rarely do, i'm just telling it from my perspective. i don't believe for a second i feel i'm "the arbiter of "all-that-which-is-cool"". if i was the arbiter of all that was cool and people actually believed that of me, then everyone would be listening to the music i love. so far, i've never found one person in the world who had exactly the same musical tastes as me, and very few people who were even close. on TRF, i've been lucky to find a select few who like SOME of what i like besides rush, but VERY few. some people start threads in this forum about a more contemporary popular group or album they love and it gets dozens of responses. i start posts here about albums i love and i'm generally lucky to get 5-7 responses. oberon started a thread about the french 70's progressive group ange, a group i feel passionately about, and the response was extremely minimal. what can i do? i just have to live with the fact that threads about captain beefheart's trout mask replica on the rush forum are going to get 1/10th of the responses a thread about U2 will get. if i really want to find people who think the music i listen to is cool, i go elswhere outside of TRF for that, because i'm not gonna find it here save for a small minority. if i was the arbiter of all that which is cool, this wouldn't be even close to the case. so, obviously i'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view as i couldn't even if i wanted to, just telling it as i see it personally with my own opinions.

please forgive ME for having strong opinions and expressing them. man, i wish my musical opinions were more popular, but they aren't - i accept that, and for my own sake i'm glad it doesn't stop me from expressing them too much. actually, it kind of does, as there are dozens of albums i love that i would highly enjoy starting threads about, but who here has even HEARD of mandrake memorial, relatively clean rivers, ya ho wa 13, terry brooks & strange, quiet sun, the innocence mission or paul schutze? pretty much nobody, and starting a thread with a passionate post about something i love that i know will get 4 responses, 3 of which say they've never heard of it is not satisfying enough to make the effort. i try to find the ground that at least some can relate to and talk about yes or genesis or at least groups that people know. honestly, i'd rather talk about ya ho wa 13, but what am i gonna do?

in the end, if reading my opinoins (and i have no illusions that they're anything more than that) offends you, skipping my posts is always an option.

peace,

gary

As long as they keep collins away from any songwriting duties. And someone hide the brass instruments from him as well.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 10 2005, 10:49 AM)
Bands that made good new material after a long period of time....

Rush?

I did note them in my LONG posting as a VERY rare exception to the rule, even though as far as I'm concerned (gulp), they haven't made a GREAT studio album of new material since 1993...

ph34r.gif

uuurrrggghhhhh.

quickly puts on Firth of Fifth.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 10 2005, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 10 2005, 10:49 AM)
Bands that made good new material after a long period of time....

Rush?

I did note them in my LONG posting as a VERY rare exception to the rule, even though as far as I'm concerned (gulp), they haven't made a GREAT studio album of new material since 1993...

ph34r.gif

I agree on the Test For Echo assessment, but Vapor Trails? To me that was some of the best writing since thier early 80's. The lyrical aspect of that album was much more personal and introspective then probably any Rush record up to that point. Had it been given a decent mixing to begin with, I'm sure more people would have taken to it. But I digress.

As for a possible Genesis reunion, to me that is the way that a band should opperate. It's nice to hear a band go on stage and go back to what made them famous to begin with (Yes, Jethro Tull). But when an band comes out with new material and tours for it after thier early success, I think it shows much more integrity as an artist. It shows they arent ready to finish in the creative aspect of making music, even if it isnt up to par with what they did before, at least they are still trying. I've never listened to much Genesis at all, but I might be interested in seeing a reunion tour if they did that. I'm a big enough Gabriel fan.

Plodder is well right on this one

Collins was in Classic Rock a while back and actually stated that "as long as it was the original line up then he would welcome a Genesis reunion"

Well so would I Phil, because you weren't the original drummer!

Stay in Switzerland and count your money from doing songs about the homeless in your thirty bedroom mansion!

When Steve Hackett left, Genesis died. Other than Duke, (IMHO) it's all a wasteland after he left.

I hope they don't reform. Nothing good can come from it.

Well, first of all it's only a rumour as of yet. Second, well, I haven't heard anything of post-Duke Genesis, but I absolutely love Gabriel's newer stuff (UP) and it would be interesting to see what they can do now... I'm positive Gabriel still has that spark of creative genius, even if he moved on to new musical horizons -- and face it, who would like it if all they did was imitations of old songs? No, I'd be for a reunion, see what they can do after 30 years of doing basically everything else. If anyone gets my point.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 9 2005, 04:04 PM)
MusicTap reports:

eh.gif

Um. 2004, when Kerry Livgren returned with the second lineup of Kansas (they call themselves Proto-Kaw), which was around late sixties to early seventies. Canterbury-ish rock/prog. Cool beans. Proves Livgren's still full of ideas.

QUOTE (Daggy @ Nov 10 2005, 06:31 PM)

Collins was in Classic Rock a while back and actually stated that "as long as it was the original line up then he would welcome a Genesis reunion"

Stay in Switzerland and count your money from doing songs about the homeless in your thirty bedroom mansion!

Collins doesn't write about homelessness because he feels it will bring in a few million dollars. He did it because it was something he felt strongly about. Unlike some artists, Collins writes what he feels, and that is why he bas been so successful. So he uses horns in his songs quite a bit. I enjoy that aspect of his music, and I always will. If you don't like it, don't make comments like that. He has the money he has because he's made music people from all places can relate to. He can write love songs, and he can write some of the most serious music you'll ever hear. If there is to be a reunion, and if new material was composed, I'd say let Collins come up with a few lines!

I don't know what you have against PC, but I suggest you listen to his album, Both Sides. You'd be very suprised.

QUOTE (TheBodyElectric @ Nov 13 2005, 04:18 PM)

Collins doesn't write about homelessness because he feels it will bring in a few million dollars. He did it because it was something he felt strongly about. Unlike some artists, Collins writes what he feels, and that is why he bas been so successful. So he uses horns in his songs quite a bit. I enjoy that aspect of his music, and I always will. If you don't like it, don't make comments like that. He has the money he has because he's made music people from all places can relate to. He can write love songs, and he can write some of the most serious music you'll ever hear. If there is to be a reunion, and if new material was composed, I'd say let Collins come up with a few lines!

I don't know what you have against PC, but I suggest you listen to his album, Both Sides. You'd be very suprised.

Most people hate Collins because he's such a goddamned wuss.

I actually like the stuff, though it be pop, worse yet 80's pop! I think Gabriel led a much more quality career, even post So.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Nov 14 2005, 12:04 AM)

I actually like the stuff, though it be pop, worse yet 80's pop! I think Gabriel led a much more quality career, even post So.

i've never been wild about either solo career, but gabriel has been at least somewhat interesting - i mean, i love a lot of his 80's videos and the songs were decent enough, especially shock the monkey. peter gabriel i know is ridiculously popular as i've run into so many fans who are fanatical about him - hell, even my wife plays him sometimes. consequently, i've heard several of his albums and i can see why people like him - it's just not quite my style. that being said, the passion album (soundtrack to the excellent last temptation of christ movie) is quite good. again, not something i own or would go out of my way to listen to, but i've enjoyed it when i've heard it. phil collins is good for what he is (at least his 80's material - has he been recording since?), it just ain't my thing...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2005, 06:19 AM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Nov 14 2005, 12:04 AM)

i've never been wild about either solo career, but gabriel has been at least somewhat interesting - i mean, i love a lot of his 80's videos and the songs were decent enough, especially shock the monkey. peter gabriel i know is ridiculously popular as i've run into so many fans who are fanatical about him - hell, even my wife plays him sometimes. consequently, i've heard several of his albums and i can see why people like him - it's just not quite my style. that being said, the passion album (soundtrack to the excellent last temptation of christ movie) is quite good. again, not something i own or would go out of my way to listen to, but i've enjoyed it when i've heard it. phil collins is good for what he is (at least his 80's material - has he been recording since?), it just ain't my thing...

Yes PC has been recording since.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Nov 14 2005, 03:04 AM)

It's people such as yourself who give him that stigma. He made poppy music in the 80s. However, it was quality pop music. He wrote Sussudio but he also wrote songs like In The Air Tonight, Do You Know Do You Care, and I Don't Care Anymore. PC is a more straightforward writer. Gabriel, who I also respect and enjoy very much, is more abstract in his way of writing. You have to think a little deeper than usual to appreciate his music. Phil's messages are not AS deep as Gabriel's. They're still deep and profound but not as hidden. They're more upfront.

But to call PC a wuss is not right at all. His career has led him to write songs for Disney. Is that a problem? Does that make him any less of a composer or drummer? Absolutely not. He has decided to try something else. Go deeper into a person's career before you make judgements on a few songs from 1985. I suggest Face Value and Both Sides...

comp26.gif yes.gif

To get back to the original topic. Unfortunately it says now, that the reunion, if at all, won't happen before 12 months.. sad.gif

And I must admid, I am sceptical if they will really do it...their directions moved to different areas too much.

on one side the pop sound of Collins and Rutherfords "Mike and the mechanics", on the other side Steve Hacketts progressive/classical music and Peter Gabriel's progpoprock and Tony Banks being quite melodic but totally ignored...

But I must admid too, that I would be happy about a reunion of the "famous" Genesis. I liked them also after they became more pop. At least they made good pop music. I rather hear them than those horrible whiney so called "soul" folks like R.Kelly or those brainwashed discofolks who recycle even children's songs to "dancetracks" 062802puke_prv.gif

(and I guess I should watch "Jesus he knows me" or "I can't dance" now, to cheer me up about the fact, that I surely spend christmas in hospital sad.gif )

Archived