Icon vinyl

99man

In 2010 Rush released Icon on CD only.

Concert favorite compilation. I really had no interest in it at the time.

Last year it was decided to release Icon on vinyl. One particular version caught my eye - Canada only translucent with splatter.

Copies in closest record shop were bought up by the time I had gotten there. All versions I found online (Amazon & Discog) were going for $75 at first, and as time went by $100 plus.

But I lucked out and found a copy for a reasonable $60. As always, Rush does great job with all their vinyl releases.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJJtzcax2cSu6G70UqzZFE_v49benC7C/view?usp=drivesdk

Regards

• Like 1

In 2010 Rush released Icon on CD only.

Concert favorite compilation. I really had no interest in it at the time.

Last year it was decided to release Icon on vinyl. One particular version caught my eye - Canada only translucent with splatter.

Copies in closest record shop were bought up by the time I had gotten there. All versions I found online (Amazon & Discog) were going for $75 at first, and as time went by $100 plus.

But I lucked out and found a copy for a reasonable $60. As always, Rush does great job with all their vinyl releases.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJJtzcax2cSu6G70UqzZFE_v49benC7C/view?usp=drivesdk

Regards

Nice. I’m not into vinyl currently, but my brother is so maybe when I have some money I might follow in his footsteps.

• Like 1

I didn't pull the trigger on this one back when it was just released. I loved the look but am usually reluctant on Rush compilation albums that have no new material and I likely had felt I was buying too much Rush reissue things already. Looks nice though and have only small regrets

A few disappointed comments on Discogs mentioning the quality of the pressing.

Here's one of the most disappointed opinions...

I’ve now gone through 3 copies of this title and have given up due to many dimples, skips and scratches being present on all 3 copies.

Most of these bumps/dimples and skips occur in the red splatter itself leading me to believe it cooled at a different rate than the clear - and bubbled.

I’ve had zero help from Rush, Anthem, Universal and even Sunrise Records about this issue.

For a rare and not cheap record, you’d expect the quality control to be in-check here. It is not.

I’m thoroughly PO’d and have no plans to listen to this again. It’s going up for sale, stat.

• Like 1

Never heard of ICON and the link in the first post wants me to sign in to something I'm not familar with. What is ICON?

Icon is a compilation album that the band released in 2010. It's just a selected number of songs from some of their albums.

• Like 1

Never heard of ICON and the link in the first post wants me to sign in to something I'm not familar with. What is ICON?

Icon is a compilation album that the band released in 2010. It's just a selected number of songs from some of their albums.

Some fan I am, never heard of it. Thank you.

• Like 1

I have Icon and Icon II (Same as Icon but with a 2nd disc of All The World's A Stage, Exit...Stage Left and A Show Of Hands tracks.) but those are CDs. Not interested in the vinyl.

It's a strange compilation for sure.

For the curious, here's the tracklist:

Working Man

Fly by Night

The Necromancer

The Twilight Zone

Closer to the Heart

Circumstances

Freewill

Limelight

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

Marathon

Force Ten

• Like 2

Working Man

Fly by Night

The Necromancer

The Twilight Zone

Closer to the Heart

Circumstances

Freewill

Limelight

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

Marathon

Force Ten

That track list gives the record about a 60 minute running time. Are some of these tracks edited? I'm looking at you Working Man and Necromancer

Working Man

Fly by Night

The Necromancer

The Twilight Zone

Closer to the Heart

Circumstances

Freewill

Limelight

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

Marathon

Force Ten

That track list gives the record about a 60 minute running time. Are some of these tracks edited? I'm looking at you Working Man and Necromancer

run time is here:

https://www.discogs.com/Rush-Icon/release/4632266

I have Icon and Icon II (Same as Icon but with a 2nd disc of All The World's A Stage, Exit...Stage Left and A Show Of Hands tracks.) but those are CDs. Not interested in the vinyl.

It's a strange compilation for sure.

Forgot about the Grace Under Pressure Live album. I think Closer To The Heart, New World Man and Vital Signs are from there.

Working Man

Fly by Night

The Necromancer

The Twilight Zone

Closer to the Heart

Circumstances

Freewill

Limelight

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

Marathon

Force Ten

A track each from the Mercury studio albums.

I have the 2 disc edition on CD. With the Necromancer on there and Circumstances, I had to have it!

It's an unusual compilation album, imagine this tracklist though:

1. Before and After

2. In the End

3. I Think I'm Going Bald

4. Lessons

5. Madrigal

6. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

7. Jacob's Ladder

8. Vital Signs

9. Chemistry

10. Kid Gloves

11. Grand Designs

12. Lock and Key

That's a long run time for a single record. I guess it will have Presto levels of bass

I was listening to my copy of Presto on vinyl (Canadian Anthem pressing) last night and it sounds phenomenal, much less thin than the CD. Yeah, it's a long runtime for a single disc, but it doesn't sound noticeable to me.

• Like 1