Rush The Big Money (FULL LENGTH VIDEO)

TheGhostRider

I recently found this through the generosity of a Rush fan site. The owner digitized and uploaded the rarely seen Full length version of The Big Money Music Video. It was only released once, on the US Version of the Grace Under Pressure Live VHS, which is why hardly anybody's seen it. The quality is not great but It's nice to finally see the full version. Changed the upload to The Internet Archive. The link is below.

https://archive.org/...gth-music-video

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 3

"Hardly anybody has seen it...", other than the thousands and thousands of fans who had- or still have- that VHS video, that is.

True but how many people still have that VHS 37 years later? Probably not many. The full version was only released once on that VHS.

• Like 1

So, how is the "full version" of the video different from this official video?

The 'full version' includes a b&w intro title roll (And now . . . the exclusive full length version of . . .), as well as a b&w credit roll at the end (Directed by Robert F. Quartley for Champagne Pictures; Computer Animation by Greenlight, New York -- Toronto; yada, yada, yada). These b&w rolls were not included with The Big Money from the Chronicles video collection, as the credits there were placed at the end of the tape. This version would have presumably been intended for play on Night Flight, or similar programming.

Other than that, the version linked above via YouTube is available in much, much better resolution.

(I have always assumed the Time 80:08 graphic visible at the ~3:28 mark was a nod from the graphic animation dudes to the Intel 8008 chip, which gave birth to the age of personal computers. Thanks Austin 'Gus' Roche!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgu0MpnKq8

It’s missing several verses of the lyrics as well as several scenes from the video that are not included on the YouTube version. The easiest way to notice the missing scenes is to watch both versions and you can pick them out pretty easily. I can assure you the version I uploaded is the full video not the YouTube version. The full version has about 45 seconds of missing scenes.

Edited by TheGhostRider

It’s missing several verses of the lyrics as well as several scenes from the video that are not included on the YouTube version. The easiest way to notice the missing scenes is to watch both versions and you can pick them out pretty easily. I can assure you the version I uploaded is the full video not the YouTube version. The full version has about 45 seconds of missing scenes.

Yep. You're absolutely correct.

Now we're left with the lightly irritating knowledge that the 'radio edit' version of this has been put up on the official channel. C'mon! It's Rush fans primarily seeking this out. No shortcuts required.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting! I thought I remembered the full length version maybe having been played on MuchMusic back in the day (whereas it was definitely just the shorter edit on MTV), but I can't remember for sure now. (Of course, that was 36 years ago...)
  • Like 1

The “full version” installs a shit ton of malware on your computer?

:lol:

Lol no it doesn’t. If you click the link that says “go back to Parent directory” you should be able to watch the video in browser. When I uploaded the video it added a download link as well, my intention was just to make it visible on the Internet Archive.

It’s the full video. It has the entire song. The YouTube version does not have the full song. Don’t know why some of you are putting my words in quotes when it’s literally true. All you have to do it watch the video to see it’s missing segments of the song. It’s not malware, it won’t infect your computer, I uploaded it to help preserve the video as it should be viewed. Nothing more than that.

It’s the full video. It has the entire song. The YouTube version does not have the full song. Don’t know why some of you are putting my words in quotes when it’s literally true. All you have to do it watch the video to see it’s missing segments of the song. It’s not malware, it won’t infect your computer, I uploaded it to help preserve the video as it should be viewed. Nothing more than that.

Please let us know when you upload it to YouTube.

Thanks for posting! I thought I remembered the full length version maybe having been played on MuchMusic back in the day (whereas it was definitely just the shorter edit on MTV), but I can't remember for sure now. (Of course, that was 36 years ago...)

It was, I still have a copy or two on a vhs and a dvd someplace I'm sure that I taped off the channel back in the day. I remember it was a very "WTF" moment when I saw the edited version out there and not the full one.

Please let us know when you upload it to YouTube.

I’ll see what I can do but there’s a good chance it won’t even be able to be uploaded without being instantly blocked or taken down for copyright infringement.

"Hardly anybody has seen it...", other than the thousands and thousands of fans who had- or still have- that VHS video, that is.

True but how many people still have that VHS 37 years later? Probably not many. The full version was only released once on that VHS.

Still have the VHS and I watch it sometimes. I think that one, The Body Electric and Countdown are they only videos not that haven't made it to a DVD yet.

I've always wondered how music videos are made, with respect to the musicians performing in them.  Like, Neil is actually playing the drums there, he isn't faking it.  Those are real hits.  How on Earth did he hear the song in order to play along with it?  The guy was a famously loud drummer.  I don't see a wedge underneath him, he's not wearing headphones and in-ear monitors weren't really a thing yet in 1985, so that means they must have been blasting the song at him from off screen, loud enough for him to hear it over his own playing.  It must have been deafening to do a whole day of shooting a video like that...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I've always wondered how music videos are made, with respect to the musicians performing in them.  Like, Neil is actually playing the drums there, he isn't faking it.  Those are real hits.  How on Earth did he hear the song in order to play along with it?  The guy was a famously loud drummer.  I don't see a wedge underneath him, he's not wearing headphones and in-ear monitors weren't really a thing yet in 1985, so that means they must have been blasting the song at him from off screen, loud enough for him to hear it over his own playing.  It must have been deafening to do a whole day of shooting a video like that...

I shot a scene in a film where I was drumming to playback. They used the PA in the club and turned one of the main speakers (not in the shot) so it was facing the band, playing the track loud enough that it was heard over my live drums. I don’t hit like Neil…but it was still super loud. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 10:27 PM, TheGhostRider said:

Thanks for doing this. I still have my VHS AND the laserdisc. In fact, I've kept my laserdisc player just for this and some other Rush stuff. Unfortunately, I haven't yet learned how to digitize them. So silly that Universal can't put the full length one on YouTube.

• Like 1