King Crimson

the masked drummer

trink39.gif I'm sure this has been posted before, but Ozzy covered King Crimson on his latest album. Neil Peart has often mentioned Michael Giles as one of his influences, so I thought it was worth mentioning here...

Yeah,

THey left all the tough parts out like you said. I personally like the 1973-74 era and 1981-84 era myself. I've got the 4-disc live 73/74 shows and it's pretty cool stuff. They do cool versions of Schizoid Man...

Hey, that's a cool avatar btw! Nice! martini_shaken.gif

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Nov 11 2005, 05:26 PM)
What people may not know is Greg Lake from ELP laid down the vocals for that song. Ozzy is not even close to Greg Lake.

you wouldn't necessarily know it with the heavy effects on his voice in 21st century schizoid man, but greg lake does have an amazing beautiful voice...

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Nov 11 2005, 05:26 PM)
What people may not know is Greg Lake from ELP laid down the vocals for that song. Ozzy is not even close to Greg Lake.

Well if you were a Crim fan you'd know Lake was in the band for their first album. He cut the bass parts as well (which are also AWESOME).

Seems ol' Ozz gets more and more into Prog 653.gif

first he did "Shock the Monkey" by Peter Gabriel and now that weird KC track ohmy.gif

Well...without the distortion Mr. Lake would have a problem with sounding THAT hard, he's mostly more melodic. And ol' Ozzy as a metal head surely knows how to sound "wild" cool.gif

Anyone has a soundfile-link? Same about that Gabriel-Track... biggrin.gif

King Crimson-

This is a band I've recently been turned on too....they are GREAT!!

Plan on buying their discs...

My Greg Lake alarm went off.

ELP used to use Confusion in their set. Works fantastic with Battlefield in Tarkus.

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Nov 9 2005, 05:35 PM)
trink39.gif I'm sure this has been posted before, but Ozzy covered King Crimson on his latest album. Neil Peart has often mentioned Michael Giles as one of his influences, so I thought it was worth mentioning here...

Haha, sounds funny... Ozzy covering Crimso. I hope I have a chance to listen to it someday. That particular song doesn't require any great vocal effort, so I should think Ozzy managed to cope...

Nice to know that Michael Giles was an inspiration for Peart. He definitely should have stayed longer in KC. The only better Crimso drummer is Bill Bruford, in my opinion.

And I just love King Crimson (particularly their 70's work).

one more red nightmare is indeed a great tune. May fav off Red album. They were just a 3 pc at that point, i think. Jamie Muir and David Cross had already bailed... betcha Rush listened to that album, I'd say.

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Nov 10 2005, 01:14 PM)
Yeah,
THey left all the tough parts out like you said. I personally like the 1973-74 era and 1981-84 era myself. I've got the 4-disc live 73/74 shows and it's pretty cool stuff. They do cool versions of Schizoid Man...
Hey, that's a cool avatar btw! Nice! martini_shaken.gif

I didn't hear the cover but if you say so much is left I don't think it's worth listening to at all. I guess Entombed made a better cover of the track! yes.gif

WOW. i have a "king crimson covers" directory,

it includes ozzy 21st... april wines 21st... stupid death metal band that i cant remember the name 21st... flower trevellin band 21st...

emerson lake&palmer 21st. and also a horrible trance version of i talk to the wind, epitaph cover by a band called in the woods with a great female vocals.epitaph cover by a horrible doom metal band.

and also i got the older versions of KC songs from other albumes that fripp was in.

im the biggest KC fan! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Larks @ Feb 13 2006, 08:15 AM)
WOW. i have a "king crimson covers" directory,
it includes ozzy 21st... april wines 21st... stupid death metal band that i cant remember the name 21st... flower trevellin band 21st...
emerson lake&palmer 21st. and also a horrible trance version of i talk to the wind, epitaph cover by a band called in the woods with a great female vocals.epitaph cover by a horrible doom metal band.
and also i got the older versions of KC songs from other albumes that fripp was in.

im the biggest KC fan! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I like Entombed, if that was the name you didn't know! And who's stupid - I'm not gonna say here! No use wasting my breath biggrin.gif

Be kind enough and leave what you think of it for yourself! Or maybe it's your first forum and you don't know yet how to behave... laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2006, 02:51 PM)
for those that don't have it - get LIZARD - best KC album IMHO and one of the best albums by anyone ever IMHO as well. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I partially share your opinion of Lizard. It's a very good piece of work! Personally, though, I value "Red" the most! Great album. Each track has enormous energy and some expression! And 'Starless', preceded by an amazing introduction in the shape of 'Providence' is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 13 2006, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2006, 02:51 PM)
for those that don't have it - get LIZARD - best KC album IMHO and one of the best albums by anyone ever IMHO as well. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I partially share your opinion of Lizard. It's a very good piece of work! Personally, though, I value "Red" the most! Great album. Each track has enormous energy and some expression! And 'Starless', preceded by an amazing introduction in the shape of 'Providence' is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Love Lizard, great to hear Jon Anderson on "Prince Rupert Awakes", but their whole back catalogue is amazing.

Lark/Starless/Red - incredible body of music

Discipline/Heartbeat/Three - ditto

The 90's/00's albums are all excellent.

And USA and Absent Lovers are two of the best live albums you're ever likely to hear.

Have any of you listened to any of the ProjeKts, where Fripp split the band into various fractals? Heavy going in places, but always interesting.

Of the later KC albums, Thrak appeals to me the most! As for Fripp's fractals of KC, I like ProjeKCt 2 best! The rest is also quite interesting, but for me, there is too much elecronic experimenting. angry.gif

Archived