The Police vs. U2

Sting and Bono The Cops and the Bombers zeppheads gonna love this

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: choose one (23 member(s) have cast votes)

band

1. The Police (19 votes [82.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.61%

2. U2 (4 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

oft-derided ego with the microphone

1. Sting (17 votes [73.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. Bono (6 votes [26.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

single favorite album between both bands

1. Outlandos D'Amour (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. Regatta De Blanc (5 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

3. Zenyatta Mondatta (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

4. Ghost In The Machine (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Synchronicity (4 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. Boy (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

7. October (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

8. War (4 votes [13.79%] - View)

9. The Unforgettable Fire (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

10. The Joshua Tree (4 votes [13.79%] - View)

11. Rattle And Hum (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Achtung Baby (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

13. Zooropa (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Pop (0 votes [0.00%])

15. All That You Can't Leave Behind (0 votes [0.00%])

16. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (0 votes [0.00%])

17. No Line On The Horizon (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Songs Of Innocence (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Songs Of Experience (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2119 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:42 PM

I’d say “With or Without You,” or even “One,” would be U2’s “Every Breath.”

Sponsored Post

#22 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5754 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

Good comparison and tough to pick since they started about the same time. Let's break this down by the pieces.

Vocal - Sting Vs Bono - there's not enough coin flips to decide which insufferable dick to choose. Tie.
Guitar - Andy vs Edge - Andy is very accomplished and more interesting to listen to. Edge is pretty much a one-trick pony. Andy.
Bass - Sting vs what's his name?, oh yeah Adam - Give this one to Stink because Adam is non-descript.
Drums - Stewart vs Larry - come on man not even close - Stewart.

U2 had a much longer active career...but does anyone care about them since the 90s? Best band goes to The Police.

Best singer - not choosing a favorite egomaniac but coin flip says Bono. ugh.

Best Album - I like the first 3 Police Albums, same with U2. But The Unforgettable Fire is highly underrated IMO and an interesting left turn for U2, so that's the one.

Edited by HemiBeers, 16 September 2021 - 06:48 PM.

#23 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 32828 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:11 PM

A band that ended out on top with a wanker lead vocalist vs. a band that hasn't done anything in years with a wanker lead vocalist.

Sting - GITM
Boner - Achtung Baby, War and Joshua are my top 3.

Synchronicity is a close 2nd but Mother ruins it from perfection and even though Miss Gradenko is nicely placed after that trash song, it's still filler.

#24 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 13017 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:55 PM

I must say I've always liked Mother quite a lot. It's by far one of the most bizarre and entertaining takes on the 12 bar blues I've ever heard. I think it really sells the weirdness of the album.

#25 Timbale

Timbale

The Seeker

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:42 AM

I think U2 made some good music...I particularly love The Unforgettable Fire - it has a really floaty, mysterious vibe to it.  But, I find them fairly insufferable, and not just Bono.  In interviews, they are often as idiotic and unaware as Spinal Tap.  I watched some video about them coming up with One (a really great little song, I'll grant you) and they talked about it like God himself had come down and taught the Edge how to play A minor, D, F and G while Bono got nailed to the f**king cross or something.  Ugh.  I mean, come on, the 2 main members are called Bono and the Edge.  Jesus christ.

I also find Sting to be a pretentious git for a large portion of his time...but... I saw him with Peter Gabriel a few years ago, and I continue to be impressed by his talent.  He is a stellar musician, despite his annoying tendencies.  (I also find Stewart Copeland to be the worst kind of annoying...the kind who thinks his annoyingness is endearing.  I also think, and this is coming from a drummer who was very influenced by him in my formative years...I think he's been coasting as a drummer for a long while, and has not really progressed or changed.  I will blow my head off if I hear him talk about switching the backbeat around so it's on "3" as if it's the most astounding thing ever done.  Ugh)

So both bands irk me...but I think The Police were of a much higher musical quality.  Each member brought something wholly unique to the mix, which you can't say for those Irish lads.  I picked Regatta De Blanc...but I actually like each record they made more or less equally.

Edited by Timbale, 17 September 2021 - 12:44 AM.

#26 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2588 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:27 AM

I think U2’s consistency is why I chose them.

Achtung Baby is my favorite album out of them all. Just a bold move after The Joshua Tree (which was also a monster record). I just love the mood and production of Achtung Baby.....a brilliant recording.

I really like The Police too.....but never listen to any of their albums front to back.....half their stuff does not click with me. Where as I can listen to several U2 albums front to back easily.

Edited by Todem, 17 September 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#27 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 20728 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

If this was 1983 U2 would get the sweep. In my old age I believe the Police have aged better. Simply put, the Police have better songs. As for albums, Boy has a special place in my heart. It's such an innocent, cocky and confident album.

#28 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

Stop voting republicRAT

• Members *
  • 15866 posts
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:53 AM

Stewart Copeland.

That is all.

#29 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 36180 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:18 AM

This is a no brainer.  I never really “got” U2 until the Joshua Tree.  I’ve seen them a couple of times, and they’re obviously a great band.  I wouldn’t say I love them.  The Cops are one of my favorite bands of all time.

#30 stoopid

stoopid

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:38 PM

I like 1980s/early '90s U2, they were part of the musical soundtrack to my youth, but The Police are next level musicians.  Both band's music has aged fairly well, which can't be said of all the mainstream releases from that era.  Although an imperfect album, Synchronicity has some of the best music made by any popular band in the 1980s.  Joshua Tree was a close second, being an overall better listen from beginning to end.  But U2 as my ears have come to understand, are fairly bland musically and at times repetitive.

#31 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 32828 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:48 PM

View PostTodem, on 17 September 2021 - 07:27 AM, said:

I think U2’s consistency is why I chose them.

Achtung Baby is my favorite album out of them all. Just a bold move after The Joshua Tree (which was also a monster record). I just love the mood and production of Achtung Baby.....a brilliant recording.

I really like The Police too.....but never listen to any of their albums front to back.....half their stuff does not click with me. Where as I can listen to several U2 albums front to back easily.

Forgot about Achtung in the perfect album thread.  No filler on that album at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users