Jump to content


The Black Mold Experience


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Krystal

Krystal

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like a rock band but it isn't. Have you had black mold in your house?  Did it make you sick?  What did you do about it?   I think we might have some in ours.  There was a small leak in one of our pipes a few months ago and the basement ceiling got a little damp.   I noticed the spot started to change color in the past few weeks.  

Thanks.

Sponsored Post

#2 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 81274 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.

#3 Krystal

Krystal

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:52 PM

View Postgoose, on 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.
Okay thanks.  We might get a professional cleaner or water damage specialist to treat it.  Don't wanna ruin the ceiling ourselves.  
The Rush Forum really is the best place to get advice on almost anything.  :)

#4 Krystal

Krystal

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:56 PM

I wondered if my throbbing headache and GI issues had been caused by the mold, even if it's a small spot at this point.  
Then I looked up the signs of mold toxicity.  Apparently, black mold can make you really sick but it doesn't kill you.  
It can also happen if you use the same water bottle over and over again without properly disinfecting it.  
Posted Image

Edited by Krystal, 13 September 2021 - 09:57 PM.


#5 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40473 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:04 PM

Hmmm, thinking I may need to re-evaluate what’s going on in the cellar.

#6 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 11876 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:34 PM

View Postgoose, on 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.

We had a teeny spot behind our shower stall and did the same thing.  Set a fan to blow outside if you can, and goose is right, use bleach. Of course, fix the source of the water but it sounds like you guys already did that.  It just made me sneeze until I put a mask on, but you might be different as far as sensitivity.

Edited by blueschica, 13 September 2021 - 11:35 PM.


#7 zepphead

zepphead

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5517 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:49 AM

View Postblueschica, on 13 September 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.

We had a teeny spot behind our shower stall and did the same thing.  Set a fan to blow outside if you can, and goose is right, use bleach. Of course, fix the source of the water but it sounds like you guys already did that.  It just made me sneeze until I put a mask on, but you might be different as far as sensitivity.
Agreed - bleach will certainly kill it.

#8 Krystal

Krystal

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:15 AM

At first I thought it was leaking again.  Then I realized it was just mold.

#9 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2256 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:44 AM

View Postzepphead, on 14 September 2021 - 01:49 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 13 September 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.

We had a teeny spot behind our shower stall and did the same thing.  Set a fan to blow outside if you can, and goose is right, use bleach. Of course, fix the source of the water but it sounds like you guys already did that.  It just made me sneeze until I put a mask on, but you might be different as far as sensitivity.
Agreed - bleach will certainly kill it.

But you also have to monitor the spot. Sometimes it will grow back, if the bleach wasn't able to reach every spore.  Regrowth can be a problem on porous surfaces like drywall and concrete.

#10 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 81274 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:13 AM

View PostKrystal, on 13 September 2021 - 09:56 PM, said:


It can also happen if you use the same water bottle over and over again without properly disinfecting it.  

Yep.  I just had to clean out my son's bottle for mold.

#11 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 81274 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:15 AM

View Postgrep, on 14 September 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 14 September 2021 - 01:49 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 13 September 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 13 September 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

I have had it in the crawl space of a house.  Applying bleach from a spray bottle usually takes care of it.  Also, get a fan blowing to dry the area out, if you can.

We had a teeny spot behind our shower stall and did the same thing.  Set a fan to blow outside if you can, and goose is right, use bleach. Of course, fix the source of the water but it sounds like you guys already did that.  It just made me sneeze until I put a mask on, but you might be different as far as sensitivity.
Agreed - bleach will certainly kill it.

But you also have to monitor the spot. Sometimes it will grow back, if the bleach wasn't able to reach every spore.  Regrowth can be a problem on porous surfaces like drywall and concrete.
Yep. For the repair process, KILZ makes paint specifically designed to fight mold.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users