The Greatest Power Ballad Of All Time: Voting Round 2

Entre_Perpetuo

voting round 2  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for up to 8 songs from the top 38, no more!

• Lady - Styx
    • Alone - Heart
    • Bringin’ On The Heartbreak - Def Leppard
    • Dream On - Aerosmith
    • Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi
    • I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner
    • Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
    • I’ll Wait - Van Halen
    • Is This Love? - Whitesnake
    • Love Walks In - Van Halen
    • November Rain - Guns ’N’ Roses
    • Open Arms - Journey
    • Hysteria - Def Leppard
    • Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
    • The Flame - Cheap Trick
    • Since I’ve Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
    • Heaven - Bryan Adams
    • Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon
    • A Man I’ll Never Be - Boston
    • Still Loving You - Scorpions
    • I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That) - Meat Loaf
    • Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
    • Wind Of Change - Scorpions
    • Home Sweet Home - Motley Crüe
    • Love Song - Tesla
    • Losing It - Rush
    • Beth - Kiss
    • These Dreams - Heart
    • Who’s Crying Now - Journey
    • Can’t Fight This Feeling - REO Speedwagon
    • Thank You - Led Zeppelin
    • Silent Lucidity - Queensrÿche
    • Sister Christian - Night Ranger
    • Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner
    • Faithfully - Journey
    • Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - Journey
    • When It’s Love - Van Halen
    • Love Bites - Def Leppard
  2. 2. Two of these songs will be saved. Vote for one song you think deserves to be in the top 40

• Alone Again - Dokken
    • No One Like You - Scorpions
    • All My Love - Led Zeppelin
    • Too Late For Love - Def Leppard
    • Why Can't This Be Love - Van Halen
    • Patience - Guns 'N' Roses
    • She Talks To Angels - The Black Crowes
    • none of them

Well here it is!

Here are the rules:

Please do not vote for any song you don't personally believe qualifies as a power ballad.

VOTE FOR NO MORE THAN 8 SONGS IN THE TOP 38

This round features an audience save! Choose one song from the 7 that just missed the cutoff to fill out the top 40. The two top choices from those 7 will automatically make it to the next round. This will be the only round featuring a save.

And feel free to discuss the merits of the songs and whether or not they qualify as power ballads in the comments!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

This is really hard. I made my choices less by which songs I like more (because I really couldn't say in many cases) and more by which ones I thought really had a stake in the claim to "the greatest power ballad of all time." Though I'll admit there were a couple with a good stake in that claim which I didn't vote for because they mean less to me personally than others.
  • Like 1

This is really hard. I made my choices less by which songs I like more (because I really couldn't say in many cases) and more by which ones I thought really had a stake in the claim to "the greatest power ballad of all time."

Same. I don't have to like a song to recognize it as a classic power ballad. The Foreigner song is an example of that.
  • Like 2

Well shoot, in the original thread I blabbed about not liking any power ballads, and then I find 3 songs I just love in here. :lol: You are trying to trip me up! :)

Although these are not the first songs I think of when I think of power ballads; I think more of Whitesnake or something. But anyway, I do love Lady by Styx, (I always thought of that as just kind of poppy) Home Sweet Home, and Love Song by Tesla is just fantastic. So I stand corrected. :) I apparently like 7.9 % of power ballads. :heart:

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I chose the right vote limit to impose, because there's not a huge difference between the frontrunners and the rest of the pack right now.

I'm wondering if I chose the right vote limit to impose, because there's not a huge difference between the frontrunners and the rest of the pack right now.

Eight is a lot. Also, I think the list includes some great down-tempo rock songs that aren't really power ballads, and that may be muddying the water. Songs like Silent Lucidity, Stairway to Heaven, Since I've Been Loving You, Thank You, Winds of Change, and Losing It, for example. Those votes would be distributed elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how the list cooks down.

• Like 1

For this round two, and from one hundred, and twenty reduced, and narrowed to forty, I think was a little bit much. With songs having seven, and more to advance into a round is a little bit much, too. In round one, if advancing songs with four, or five into this round, then there would've been a little over half of sixty at seventy. For a song advancing into a round, perhaps having, and limiting to four, or five is a reasonable amount. I'm not, and I haven't been arguing what any songs are, might be, and I'm not going to start doing it. I'm trying to help. Edited by Derek19

For this round two, and from one hundred, and twenty reduced to forty, I think was a bit much. With songs having seven, and more to advance into a round is a bit much, too. For a song advancing into a round, perhaps having, and limiting to four, or five is a reasonable amount. I'm not, and I haven't been arguing any songs, and I'm not going to start doing it.

I looked at the poll and it seemed there was a pretty clear demarkation between songs with 8 or more votes and songs with 7 or fewer, and I was aiming for forty because I don't like having to put the songs between multiple poll questions. It just complicates things.

Stairway To Heaven is in no way, shape, or form, a power ballad. :facepalm:

In your opinion, you didn't give reasons by saying why "Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin" isn't a power ballad. Goose (Allen) said: "Since I've Been Loving You, Thank You - Led Zeppelin", "Silent Lucidity - Queensryche", and "Wind of Change - Scorpions" are downtempo rock songs, and aren't really power ballads. A song is considered, and classified as a power ballad, or not one. As I've said, for any song, we, and each of us are going to have different opinions.

Edited by Derek19

Losing It???

Can't be many power ballads with an instrumental break in 11/8 time.

Rush never wrote a true power ballad as far as I'm concerned. Closest thing was Second Nature, but even that is still too Rushy in parts. Losing It is certainly no power ballad.

Losing It???

Rush never wrote a true power ballad as far as I'm concerned. Closest thing was Second Nature, but even that is still too Rushy in parts. Losing It is certainly no power ballad.

Tears would probably be the closest thing to a Rush power ballad IMO.

Losing It???

Tears would probably be the closest thing to a Rush power ballad IMO.

Except there's no power to it. It's just soft all the way through.