Counterparts tour question

Timbale

On the Counterparts tour (if my math is correct), Rush performed the Hemispheres' Prelude for the first time in 13 years. (I remember being totally shocked/blown away that they pulled that out...)

Do you think that ANY part of that decision had to do with the thematic connection between Hemispheres and the concept of the counterpart?

• Like 1

It's an interesting question - it does seem to fit with the theme! I'm not sure I've come across anything about that being a consideration when choosing the sets for that tour, but maybe other members have better memories than I do!
  • Like 1

It certainly fits the theme, yes. Even if it wasn't fully intentional, the boys are pretty sharp -Neil certainly - in that respect. So I'm pretty sure the inclusion of Hemi aligning well with the Counterparts theme wasn't lost on them at the time.
  • Like 3

I'd like to think that part of the equation was that the early fans online were asking for Hemispheres. I can't say for sure that Geddy knew about the requests, but do I know that the band was aware of the online communities at the time. (AOL, Compuserve)

Side note: This tour featured the first Alex La Villa Rants. Well, more like jokes, for example, introducing Geddy as Fabio. I don't remember the list of names...I'm sure someone has it documented somewhere.

• Like 4

Xanadu was extra heavy on this tour as well.

Unfortunately I saw them at Veterans Memorial and it sounded just awful. Worst sounding Rush show ever. Like a giant echoey canyon.

Candlebox opened.

I saw them in Maryland on that same tour, and it was exactly my experience. Bad, bad sound.

I kinda liked Candlebox at that time, though, so seeing them was cool.

Speaking of 90s rock, I saw Gin Blossoms play recently. Their music hasn't really aged well.

• Like 1

The last tour Rush did with an opening act.

Always wondered why they couldn't have had a support band on stage a little earlier in the evening on the later tours. They had previously talked up bringing other groups on the road with them to return the favour they were given extensively in the 70s.

Edited by Lurkst

Xanadu was extra heavy on this tour as well.

Unfortunately I saw them at Veterans Memorial and it sounded just awful. Worst sounding Rush show ever. Like a giant echoey canyon.

Candlebox opened.

I saw them in Maryland on that same tour, and it was exactly my experience. Bad, bad sound.

I kinda liked Candlebox at that time, though, so seeing them was cool.

Speaking of 90s rock, I saw Gin Blossoms play recently. Their music hasn't really aged well.

I had a chance to see them when I was in North Carolina not long ago. Perhaps it was good I missed them.

It's an interesting question - it does seem to fit with the theme! I'm not sure I've come across anything about that being a consideration when choosing the sets for that tour, but maybe other members have better memories than I do!

Hadn't considered that, but it makes sense.