Jump to content


Question for longtime users of TRF: What was Rush's official forum like before it shut down?


  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 14575 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:55 PM

View Postgrep, on 08 September 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.

They were a rowdy bunch and just about anything was okay short of personal attacks. Considering I've witnessed personal attacks here, it seems some of them migrated and infected the place. Or maybe some people are just a-holes wherever they are. :huh:

Some of us used to have fun riffing on each other.  Don't really see a problem with that, if both parties know what it's about.  Busting balls and whatnot.  If that's not someone's thing, that was respected.  With that, there were a lot of inside jokes, and a board culture emerged.  I can see how someone coming in new would have been put off by that.

We did have a couple of guys who needed to go....lines were crossed, and they were handled by our excellent mods.

At least one of those that were banned (after multiple chances) used to post here but maybe he was more well mannered at TRF.

Sponsored Post

#42 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 13050 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 08 September 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.

They were a rowdy bunch and just about anything was okay short of personal attacks. Considering I've witnessed personal attacks here, it seems some of them migrated and infected the place. Or maybe some people are just a-holes wherever they are. :huh:

Some of us used to have fun riffing on each other.  Don't really see a problem with that, if both parties know what it's about.  Busting balls and whatnot.  If that's not someone's thing, that was respected.  With that, there were a lot of inside jokes, and a board culture emerged.  I can see how someone coming in new would have been put off by that.

We did have a couple of guys who needed to go....lines were crossed, and they were handled by our excellent mods.

At least one of those that were banned (after multiple chances) used to post here but maybe he was more well mannered at TRF.

Every time I hear about Counterparts I'm just glad I chose to make an account here instead of there.

#43 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 14575 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:24 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 08 September 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.

They were a rowdy bunch and just about anything was okay short of personal attacks. Considering I've witnessed personal attacks here, it seems some of them migrated and infected the place. Or maybe some people are just a-holes wherever they are. :huh:

Some of us used to have fun riffing on each other.  Don't really see a problem with that, if both parties know what it's about.  Busting balls and whatnot.  If that's not someone's thing, that was respected.  With that, there were a lot of inside jokes, and a board culture emerged.  I can see how someone coming in new would have been put off by that.

We did have a couple of guys who needed to go....lines were crossed, and they were handled by our excellent mods.

At least one of those that were banned (after multiple chances) used to post here but maybe he was more well mannered at TRF.

Every time I hear about Counterparts I'm just glad I chose to make an account here instead of there.

You could have done both. You missed out on the fun.

#44 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 13050 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:39 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 11:24 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 08 September 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 September 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.

They were a rowdy bunch and just about anything was okay short of personal attacks. Considering I've witnessed personal attacks here, it seems some of them migrated and infected the place. Or maybe some people are just a-holes wherever they are. :huh:

Some of us used to have fun riffing on each other.  Don't really see a problem with that, if both parties know what it's about.  Busting balls and whatnot.  If that's not someone's thing, that was respected.  With that, there were a lot of inside jokes, and a board culture emerged.  I can see how someone coming in new would have been put off by that.

We did have a couple of guys who needed to go....lines were crossed, and they were handled by our excellent mods.

At least one of those that were banned (after multiple chances) used to post here but maybe he was more well mannered at TRF.

Every time I hear about Counterparts I'm just glad I chose to make an account here instead of there.

You could have done both. You missed out on the fun.

I didn't know it existed until I'd already been on here quite a while. I only say that because it would have been sad to be a part of a message board that died so soon after I would've joined. Better that I don't know what I was missing.

#45 Todem

Todem

    Brosaucerous

  • Members
  • 2588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parkland, Florida
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

My first foray into the inter web with a Rush board was Rushtour.com

It was a great community. We had some huge epic meet-ups for the Vapor Trails, R30 and Snakes And Arrows tours....then it died. The drama happened. But I met some incredible people who I am still friends with to this day.

I was part of Counterparts too.....definitely a rowdy board. But a lot of some good natured fun and some really salty’s who hated Rush’s output post Signals.....LOL. Like really salty. But again not a horrible place at all. I was more of a lurker there.....I did meet up with some folks from that community though as well on the S&A Tour.

I found this place before the TM tour I believe. I think this is a great board. Well balanced.

I had heard the horror stories of Tri-Net. I never bothered going there and remember it vaguley.....Heard it ended in a bad bad way.

Edited by Todem, 10 September 2021 - 12:19 PM.


#46 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 03:20 PM

View PostTodem, on 10 September 2021 - 12:18 PM, said:

My first foray into the inter web with a Rush board was Rushtour.com

It was a great community. We had some huge epic meet-ups for the Vapor Trails, R30 and Snakes And Arrows tours....then it died. The drama happened. But I met some incredible people who I am still friends with to this day.

I was part of Counterparts too.....definitely a rowdy board. But a lot of some good natured fun and some really salty’s who hated Rush’s output post Signals.....LOL. Like really salty. But again not a horrible place at all. I was more of a lurker there.....I did meet up with some folks from that community though as well on the S&A Tour.


I wasn't aware of rushtour.com, but I'm glad that there was another place for fans to gather, and that you enjoyed it.

The Brit Contingent as some of us called them over at CP...yeah. LOL. The general opinion with them is that the band's output started to go downhill after the last note of La Villa Strangiato.   And yet there they were, posting on the board - and going to shows..... one guy stalking Pratt on a ferry over there in Europe........   ahh, I really miss CP.  Such a great ruckus.

Edited by grep, 10 September 2021 - 03:27 PM.


#47 ytserush

ytserush

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5590 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

View PostTheGhostRider, on 07 September 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 September 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 06 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 September 2021 - 01:01 PM, said:

You may be thinking about something called Tri-net. They promoted themselves to be as close to an official board as there was, but the mods were self-important loonies who would ban you for simply asking the wrong kind of question. As others have said, I don't think there was ever an official Rush message board.

So far this is the most helpful reply. Is there any archives of this or was it scrubbed from the internet? Like I said before I’m not well informed on this subject. I thought it was a forum but that archived post said “interactive site” and that description is pretty vague so I really don’t know what it was like. As for the other replies was the fallout really that bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Am I bringing up bad blood with this thread?

Why so much interest in ancient history? Just curious, I'm one of those people that looks forward instead of back. And have you tried looking for results on the Wayback Machine site?

I'm a big history buff and I'm a big nerd when it comes to Rush so anything about the band whether it's through books or the internet, I like to learn about and absorb. It seems like people are interested in helping me out and I appreciate that, because you have to understand I didn't even join this forum until 2 years ago, and that was already 4 years after the last tour ended so many of the threads just ceased being active and a lot of topics died off. So revisiting stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here and making new threads. Also I have no idea what I would look up on the Wayback Machine because I don't know what the url was.

What would you like to know?

#48 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:31 PM

View Postytserush, on 11 September 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 07 September 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 September 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 06 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 September 2021 - 01:01 PM, said:

You may be thinking about something called Tri-net. They promoted themselves to be as close to an official board as there was, but the mods were self-important loonies who would ban you for simply asking the wrong kind of question. As others have said, I don't think there was ever an official Rush message board.

So far this is the most helpful reply. Is there any archives of this or was it scrubbed from the internet? Like I said before I’m not well informed on this subject. I thought it was a forum but that archived post said “interactive site” and that description is pretty vague so I really don’t know what it was like. As for the other replies was the fallout really that bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Am I bringing up bad blood with this thread?

Why so much interest in ancient history? Just curious, I'm one of those people that looks forward instead of back. And have you tried looking for results on the Wayback Machine site?

I'm a big history buff and I'm a big nerd when it comes to Rush so anything about the band whether it's through books or the internet, I like to learn about and absorb. It seems like people are interested in helping me out and I appreciate that, because you have to understand I didn't even join this forum until 2 years ago, and that was already 4 years after the last tour ended so many of the threads just ceased being active and a lot of topics died off. So revisiting stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here and making new threads. Also I have no idea what I would look up on the Wayback Machine because I don't know what the url was.

What would you like to know?

Everyone keeps mentioning Tri-net. All I know is that it did not go down well at the end. But nobody seems interested in really elaborating. Is there anyone here that would be alright in divulging that information?

#49 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:59 AM

It's all about what the guys running the board were doing. How the authority was abused, and what extended beyond normal for a message board.  Beyond being the operative word here. Beyond the board in a few cases.

It wasn't a problem with the membership itself.  You had your typical crowd, with the full curve - and a few troublemakers.  Basic problem is that the mod team, and one mod in particular, treated the membership like troublemakers. You never knew who was next, or why.

Then as I understand it the band found out.  I'm still leaving out some details because I promised not to talk about it.  But that's the gist of it.

TBH, I don't know what else is needed to paint the picture. Abusive mods, and the board was shut down by a higher authority.

Edited by grep, 13 September 2021 - 10:01 AM.


#50 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

View Postgrep, on 13 September 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

It's all about what the guys running the board were doing. How the authority was abused, and what extended beyond normal for a message board.  Beyond being the operative word here. Beyond the board in a few cases.

It wasn't a problem with the membership itself.  You had your typical crowd, with the full curve - and a few troublemakers.  Basic problem is that the mod team, and one mod in particular, treated the membership like troublemakers. You never knew who was next, or why.

Then as I understand it the band found out.  I'm still leaving out some details because I promised not to talk about it.  But that's the gist of it.

TBH, I don't know what else is needed to paint the picture. Abusive mods, and the board was shut down by a higher authority.

That's basically what I was looking for. You got to the point without being too specific. Thanks.  Also I want to reiterate again, that If you are not comfortable talking about something or can't for reasons you can't divulge please let me know. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable,I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my questions. None of you have to do that.

#51 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

    Go Cocks!

  • Members
  • 12160 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:About 34 deg N, 81 deg W

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:48 PM

Ah yes, Tri-Net....I remember fans at the old Counterparts message board griping about them. I remember the name Rudy too.

Here's a few others I saw with a casual Google search:

http://www.2112.net/...ranscripts.html (I can't view this one right now)

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/ (I couldn't get it to load)

There's some older posts in this one, but I haven't gone through it:

https://www.by-tor.c...orums/index.php

Here is the aforementioned Counterparts board, it's moved to Facebook:

https://www.facebook...tsMessageBoard/

Then there was this little gem I found:

https://alt.censorsh...ts-rush-website

And finally a fun quote:

Quote

I can tell you the names of two different Rush forums that I’ve visited and frequent. One is just called The Rush Forum, that one is huge and has thousands of members. The other one is called The Counterparts message board. I don’t know much about that one other than that it’s held in low regard to the members of TRF, for some reason.

Good luck history buffs (FWIW, I appreciate history too)!

Edited by Rush Cocky, 13 September 2021 - 02:49 PM.


#52 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

View PostRush Cocky, on 13 September 2021 - 02:48 PM, said:

Ah yes, Tri-Net....I remember fans at the old Counterparts message board griping about them. I remember the name Rudy too.

Here's a few others I saw with a casual Google search:

http://www.2112.net/...ranscripts.html (I can't view this one right now)

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/ (I couldn't get it to load)

There's some older posts in this one, but I haven't gone through it:

https://www.by-tor.c...orums/index.php

Here is the aforementioned Counterparts board, it's moved to Facebook:

https://www.facebook...tsMessageBoard/

Then there was this little gem I found:

https://alt.censorsh...ts-rush-website

And finally a fun quote:

Quote

I can tell you the names of two different Rush forums that I’ve visited and frequent. One is just called The Rush Forum, that one is huge and has thousands of members. The other one is called The Counterparts message board. I don’t know much about that one other than that it’s held in low regard to the members of TRF, for some reason.

Good luck history buffs (FWIW, I appreciate history too)!

Wow. I read the last one and that paints a dark picture about it. Now I get why some of you were so hesitant to talk about it. Thanks for the links.

#53 ytserush

ytserush

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5590 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostTheGhostRider, on 12 September 2021 - 09:31 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 11 September 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 07 September 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 September 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 06 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 September 2021 - 01:01 PM, said:

You may be thinking about something called Tri-net. They promoted themselves to be as close to an official board as there was, but the mods were self-important loonies who would ban you for simply asking the wrong kind of question. As others have said, I don't think there was ever an official Rush message board.

So far this is the most helpful reply. Is there any archives of this or was it scrubbed from the internet? Like I said before I’m not well informed on this subject. I thought it was a forum but that archived post said “interactive site” and that description is pretty vague so I really don’t know what it was like. As for the other replies was the fallout really that bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Am I bringing up bad blood with this thread?

Why so much interest in ancient history? Just curious, I'm one of those people that looks forward instead of back. And have you tried looking for results on the Wayback Machine site?

I'm a big history buff and I'm a big nerd when it comes to Rush so anything about the band whether it's through books or the internet, I like to learn about and absorb. It seems like people are interested in helping me out and I appreciate that, because you have to understand I didn't even join this forum until 2 years ago, and that was already 4 years after the last tour ended so many of the threads just ceased being active and a lot of topics died off. So revisiting stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here and making new threads. Also I have no idea what I would look up on the Wayback Machine because I don't know what the url was.

What would you like to know?

Everyone keeps mentioning Tri-net. All I know is that it did not go down well at the end. But nobody seems interested in really elaborating. Is there anyone here that would be alright in divulging that information?


Sorry. I thought you meant about the band.  Haven't Clue 1 as to what does or doesn't go down on message boards regarding that kind of stuff.

#54 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

Hello again. I just wanted to come back to this thread one more time to thank you guys for answering all my obscure and weird questions. I'm a big fan of the band and pretty nerdy about it, so I appreciate everyone digging deep into their memory banks and providing links  and answering everything. This was a really interesting thread and I hope to do more of these on different topics and start up more interesting discussions.

#55 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3915 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.
Counterparts was very good in the beginning. Lots of interesting and fun folks.

Before Counterparts message board,  The Solar Federation site was fun.  But I think the moderator on that site went a little buggy.

Edited by Mithrandir, 22 September 2021 - 01:55 PM.


#56 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:43 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 22 September 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.
Counterparts was very good in the beginning. Lots of interesting and fun folks.

Before Counterparts message board,  The Solar Federation site was fun.  But I think the moderator on that site went a little buggy.

Do you mean this site? https://web.archive....federation.net/

#57 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:49 AM

View PostTheGhostRider, on 22 September 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 22 September 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.
Counterparts was very good in the beginning. Lots of interesting and fun folks.

Before Counterparts message board,  The Solar Federation site was fun.  But I think the moderator on that site went a little buggy.

Do you mean this site? https://web.archive....federation.net/

Not that one.

This is CP:

https://web.archive....sageboard.com./

#58 TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 212 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgetown, TX
  • Interests:Rush, Music, World War I and II History, Computers, Classic Rock

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:26 AM

View Postgrep, on 23 September 2021 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostTheGhostRider, on 22 September 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 22 September 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 September 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterparts Message Boards. I never visited but did hear of it here, and not often in a positive fashion.
Counterparts was very good in the beginning. Lots of interesting and fun folks.

Before Counterparts message board,  The Solar Federation site was fun.  But I think the moderator on that site went a little buggy.

Do you mean this site? https://web.archive....federation.net/

Not that one.

This is CP:

https://web.archive....sageboard.com./
I was never active on Counterparts but I visited it a few times and it looked like a good community. The website is down but I think they switched to using Discord to chat. So in some capacity they're still active.

#59 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1818 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alert, NU

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:59 PM

I miss Counterparts.  I joined it when I was 15 years old, just before Vapor Trails came out, when it was still an ezboard site.  I posted there religiously all the way through university and had a post count well up in the tens of thousands.

I had a lot of fun, and there were some genuinely good people there.  Among the core members, it was an extremely tight-knit community of the sort that seems to have disappeared in these times of social media.

I was never on Tri-net, but I do remember all the stories about Rudy.  Didn't he threaten to sue some people at some point?

edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure I WAS there, now that I think about it.  I think I made one post and got banned for it.  On Counterparts, it was a mark of pride to have been banned from that place, so I felt like I needed to get it done.

It's strange to think of the early internet as history now...

Edited by Rush Didact, 25 September 2021 - 07:01 PM.


#60 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

View PostRush Didact, on 25 September 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

I miss Counterparts.  I joined it when I was 15 years old, just before Vapor Trails came out, when it was still an ezboard site.  I posted there religiously all the way through university and had a post count well up in the tens of thousands.

I had a lot of fun, and there were some genuinely good people there.  Among the core members, it was an extremely tight-knit community of the sort that seems to have disappeared in these times of social media.

I was never on Tri-net, but I do remember all the stories about Rudy.  Didn't he threaten to sue some people at some point?

edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure I WAS there, now that I think about it.  I think I made one post and got banned for it.  On Counterparts, it was a mark of pride to have been banned from that place, so I felt like I needed to get it done.

It's strange to think of the early internet as history now...

He did things that affected people outside the bounds of the board.  Think about an admin researching someone, and then acting on that info in any way. Without consent.

Edited by grep, 26 September 2021 - 11:57 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users