Question for longtime users of TRF: What was Rush's official forum like before it shut down?

TheGhostRider

This a question aimed at longtime users of this forum. I'm a new member so I am not well informed on this subject. I know it's existed since 2004 so it's almost 20 years old now. I was looking through the old archived threads and posts and I saw someone mention that Rush years ago used to have their own forum before it was shut down. Does anyone who was active on it have some old screenshots saved or a description of what it was like? I was a little kid in 2004 so my internet use was for things like flash games and PC games that I owned. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Note: If you are unsure what I am talking about, I am referring to this particular thread here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/275-new-member/

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 2

Ha ha ha. Some things are better left forgotten.

Gee.....that was very insightful .......op asked a legitimate ?

..........."Um.....waitress?.........do you have any condiments"?............"yeah................there over there"

Edited by Mr Freeze
  • Like 1

Ha ha ha. Some things are better left forgotten.

Gee.....that was very insightful .......op asked a legitimate ?

..........."Um.....waitress?.........do you have any condiments"?............"yeah................there over there"

It was a bad scene. I could talk about it, but what's the point of dredging up old shit?

That board came down on bad terms.

The hahah is a small jab at the idiot behind it all.

Edited by grep

You may be thinking about something called Tri-net. They promoted themselves to be as close to an official board as there was, but the mods were self-important loonies who would ban you for simply asking the wrong kind of question. As others have said, I don't think there was ever an official Rush message board.
  • Like 3

You may be thinking about something called Tri-net. They promoted themselves to be as close to an official board as there was, but the mods were self-important loonies who would ban you for simply asking the wrong kind of question. As others have said, I don't think there was ever an official Rush message board.

So far this is the most helpful reply. Is there any archives of this or was it scrubbed from the internet? Like I said before I’m not well informed on this subject. I thought it was a forum but that archived post said “interactive site” and that description is pretty vague so I really don’t know what it was like. As for the other replies was the fallout really that bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Am I bringing up bad blood with this thread?

This topic brings to mind something from back in the days of dial-up modem sounds, in primordial times when one wouldn't be too surprised by the sight of an Archaeopteryx flying in through the cave threshold: The National Midnight Star. This was an email distributed newsletter to which one could subscribe, administered by a guy at the University of Maryland. It ran throughout most of the 90's. Someone has taken the time and care to archive much of it here: https://www.pelstudio.com/tnms/index.html

Then there was also the newsgroup alt.music.rush.

• Like 2

This topic brings to mind something from back in the days of dial-up modem sounds, in primordial times when one wouldn't be too surprised by the sight of an Archaeopteryx flying in through the cave threshold: The National Midnight Star. This was an email distributed newsletter to which one could subscribe, administered by a guy at the University of Maryland. It ran throughout most of the 90's. Someone has taken the time and care to archive much of it here: https://www.pelstudi...tnms/index.html

Then there was also the newsgroup alt.music.rush.

I do recall hearing about the Midnight Star. Wasn't Neil involved with that somehow?

So far this is the most helpful reply. Is there any archives of this or was it scrubbed from the internet? Like I said before I’m not well informed on this subject. I thought it was a forum but that archived post said “interactive site” and that description is pretty vague so I really don’t know what it was like. As for the other replies was the fallout really that bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Am I bringing up bad blood with this thread?

Why so much interest in ancient history? Just curious, I'm one of those people that looks forward instead of back. And have you tried looking for results on the Wayback Machine site?

• Like 1

Why so much interest in ancient history? Just curious, I'm one of those people that looks forward instead of back. And have you tried looking for results on the Wayback Machine site?

I think I get the impulse in this case - if anything were archived, it could be interesting to go back and read what people in other forums were talking about when Rush was mid- or middle-late career and fans might have been more apt to talk about and speculate about things. The number of actual new Rush topics on this forum has sort of dwindled and become overshadowed by threads about other bands and things. Don't get me wrong, I love TRF and I think the community here is just about second-to-none. But now that Rush is no more, it sometimes feels like a wake... Fortunately, there is practically an encyclopedia's worth of old threads for members to revisit here!

• Like 4

Was that the one with the moderator called Slynny or something?

The only forum I've ever been banned from and I'd absolutely no idea why.

I'm a big history buff and I'm a big nerd when it comes to Rush so anything about the band whether it's through books or the internet, I like to learn about and absorb. It seems like people are interested in helping me out and I appreciate that, because you have to understand I didn't even join this forum until 2 years ago, and that was already 4 years after the last tour ended so many of the threads just ceased being active and a lot of topics died off. So revisiting stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here and making new threads. Also I have no idea what I would look up on the Wayback Machine because I don't know what the url was.

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 2

I think I get the impulse in this case - if anything were archived, it could be interesting to go back and read what people in other forums were talking about when Rush was mid- or middle-late career and fans might have been more apt to talk about and speculate about things. The number of actual new Rush topics on this forum has sort of dwindled and become overshadowed by threads about other bands and things. Don't get me wrong, I love TRF and I think the community here is just about second-to-none. But now that Rush is no more, it sometimes feels like a wake... Fortunately, there is practically an encyclopedia's worth of old threads for members to revisit here!

I think you were spot on with this reply. This whole community is awesome, but this forum was already ancient history when I joined so a lot of the really interesting threads are long gone or archived, so the only way to get people to talk about this stuff is to make new threads and garner some more interest.

• Like 2

Was that the one with the moderator called Slynny or something?

The only forum I've ever been banned from and I'd absolutely no idea why.

She was one of them. There was also Raptor and Rudy (but he went by something else on the board). Of the three, she seemed to be the nicest of the bunch. Raptor seemed like the enforcer and Rudy the tyrannical overlord. I knew that they'd gone off the deep end when they banned Rushgrrrl, who was one of the nicest people you'd ever encounter.

• Like 1

I think you were spot on with this reply. This whole community is awesome, but this forum was already ancient history when I joined so a lot of the really interesting threads are long gone or archived, so the only way to get people to talk about this stuff is to make new threads and garner some more interest.

Always good to meet a fellow Rush nerd! Maybe the best way to keep conversations alive here is just to post whatever insights occur to you about songs and things. Sometimes members will say that there's already a thread about this or that, but I don't see the problem with re-starting interesting conversations. And the best conversations, as far as I'm concerned as a fan, are the ones about the music and lyrics!

• Like 3

I'm a big history buff and I'm a big nerd when it comes to Rush so anything about the band whether it's through books or the internet, I like to learn about and absorb. It seems like people are interested in helping me out and I appreciate that, because you have to understand I didn't even join this forum until 2 years ago, and that was already 4 years after the last tour ended so many of the threads just ceased being active and a lot of topics died off. So revisiting stuff like this is what keeps me coming back here and making new threads. Also I have no idea what I would look up on the Wayback Machine because I don't know what the url was.

Thanks Toymaker and The Ghost Rider! I understand where you are coming from now. Kind of like my impulses to buy old magazines featuring Rush from eBay. :lol: :heart: It is kind of fascinating to hear what they were thinking when certain albums were released or when they were on old tours. Also kind of depressing, because of what you both noted; there is no new music, the guys are older and life . Thanks for the explanation. :hi:

• Like 2

Rush.net was officially affiliated in some way IIRC. It was a long time ago. I believe it was a lot of the same people involved as Tri-Net but again, we're talking about 20 years ago so my memory is fuzzy.

Is there a link somewhere that has the url? I tried Rush.net in the Wayback Machine and it says it was excluded from the archive which means someone really doesn't want this out there.

Rush.net was officially affiliated in some way IIRC. It was a long time ago. I believe it was a lot of the same people involved as Tri-Net but again, we're talking about 20 years ago so my memory is fuzzy.

Is there a link somewhere that has the url? I tried Rush.net in the Wayback Machine and it says it was excluded from the archive which means someone really doesn't want this out there.

Shoot! I will let you know if I come across anything. I just normally look at geddylee.net stuff there, but, yeah, I know the url for that one.

Edited by blueschica

Chances are that's because of the guy who moderated it. He is (or at least was) an egomaniac who wasn't known for his rationality when it came to his board and Rush. As I recall, he or one of his henchwomen once said, "we're so close to Rush, we might as well be Rush" in regards to Trinet.

• Like 1

Chances are that's because of the guy who moderated it. He is (or at least was) an egomaniac who wasn't known for his rationality when it came to his board and Rush. As I recall, he or one of his henchwomen once said, "we're so close to Rush, we might as well be Rush" in regards to Trinet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: And that forum didn't end well? What a surprise . .

• Like 3