The Official "I gots to get paid", er, 2021 NCAA College Football Thread.

pjbear05

So much ND hate. Makes me a little sad, but oh well.

Anyway I think it's a little more clear now exactly how not being in a conference makes it more difficult for ND to get in. No game this weekend to prove they're really top 4 material, not enough teams ahead of them lose, and ND's stuck sitting right outside looking in. It doesn't really matter though, this was never our year to take on Georgia or Bama and win. 11-1 and going to a NY6 with an awesome new HC that all the players love? That makes me happy. I hope Cinci somehow wins it all. Beyond losing to aTm, 'Bama nearly lost to multiple unranked opponents this year, so I have some hope they're not the completely unstoppable force they usually are. What I don't want is a Michigan win. Still mad about that 2019 ND-Michigan game in the rain.

Why are they not in a conference? It wouldn't be....GREED....would it?

At least partly because we have multiple longstanding cross country rivalries that aren’t in the same conference as each other. Does it pay less to be in a conference? I’ve never heard of that before.

What rivalries? The Scrubs of the Pac 12? Catholics vs Convicts? Those games used to be the stuff of legends, but with the downturn of the lot of them (this means you too, 'Canes) of late has not bolstered things.

There is also a cabal that perceived the cancellation of the games against Michigan and Michigan State as a dilution of strength of schedule, infuriating the SEC Championship Committee, er, CFPB, and dooming the Irish.

NYD against Ok State will be interesting.

Anyway I think it's a little more clear now exactly how not being in a conference makes it more difficult for ND to get in. No game this weekend to prove they're really top 4 material, not enough teams ahead of them lose, and ND's stuck sitting right outside looking in. It doesn't really matter though, this was never our year to take on Georgia or Bama and win. 11-1 and going to a NY6 with an awesome new HC that all the players love? That makes me happy. I hope Cinci somehow wins it all. Beyond losing to aTm, 'Bama nearly lost to multiple unranked opponents this year, so I have some hope they're not the completely unstoppable force they usually are. What I don't want is a Michigan win. Still mad about that 2019 ND-Michigan game in the rain.

Remind you of anything?

1200px-Basilica_Sancti_Petri_blue_hourl_-_Retouch.jpg

Nope.

At least partly because we have multiple longstanding cross country rivalries that aren’t in the same conference as each other. Does it pay less to be in a conference? I’ve never heard of that before.

When you are in a conference you split your bowl and TV revenue with each of the other schools in that conference.

What rivalries? The Scrubs of the Pac 12? Catholics vs Convicts? Those games used to be the stuff of legends, but with the downturn of the lot of them (this means you too, 'Canes) of late has not bolstered things.

There is also a cabal that perceived the cancellation of the games against Michigan and Michigan State as a dilution of strength of schedule, infuriating the SEC Championship Committee, er, CFPB, and dooming the Irish.

NYD against Ok State will be interesting.

A rivalry is a rivalry even if it's been one sided for years. I'm very upset about the fact we aren't playing Michigan for over a decade. Probably our best rivalry. I didn't know MSU was off the schedule for a while. That's a good one too. But yeah, rivalries against Stanford and USC are never going away. Doesn't matter that they suck lately.

The OK State game will be very interesting. Marcus Freeman's first game as head coach ever.

When you are in a conference you split your bowl and TV revenue with each of the other schools in that conference.

Well that's a legit point then. I will say though, I heard once football at ND pays for every other sport at the school, even basketball. If we had to start splitting that money up with a dozen other schools, I'd hate to see what happens to our fencing program, which routinely wins #1.

This is fun....

The Mighty Utah Student Section lived up to their name in 2021, and the nation took note. ESPN and Taco Bell have partnered to award the university’s famed MUSS with the Live Mas Student Section of the Year.

This is the third time the award has been granted, with Penn State and Texas A&M previously receiving the honor. As winners, Taco Bell will send 500 members of the MUSS to the Rose Bowl at no cost and place them in a special student section, helping to bring a big part Rice-Eccles electric atmosphere to Pasadena.

The MUSS beat out Iowa, Penn State and Georgia, three blue-chip programs, on their way to their first such honor.

That will fun for them to have a section, there is going to be a big group going to see the game. Hubby and I wanted to go but at least my sister will be going. Go Utes!

• Like 3

This is fun....

The Mighty Utah Student Section lived up to their name in 2021, and the nation took note. ESPN and Taco Bell have partnered to award the university’s famed MUSS with the Live Mas Student Section of the Year.

This is the third time the award has been granted, with Penn State and Texas A&M previously receiving the honor. As winners, Taco Bell will send 500 members of the MUSS to the Rose Bowl at no cost and place them in a special student section, helping to bring a big part Rice-Eccles electric atmosphere to Pasadena.

The MUSS beat out Iowa, Penn State and Georgia, three blue-chip programs, on their way to their first such honor.

That will fun for them to have a section, there is going to be a big group going to see the game. Hubby and I wanted to go but at least my sister will be going. Go Utes!

Live MUSS!
  • Like 1

This is fun....

Only thing better will be seeing them scalp the Suck I's. Go Utes!
  • Like 2

Gasparilla Bowl between UCF and Florida on 12/23 a ""sell out" of 65,000 seats at Raymond James in Tampa. "A limited number of standing room tickets available." Scalpers, er, ticker services must be desperate.

These bowl games seem like meaningless exhibitions. I'm guessing that if you had a real sense of how motivated the teams were going into the game, these would be fairly easy to make money betting them, though it's really hard to determine that without inside info.
  • Like 1

These bowl games seem like meaningless exhibitions. I'm guessing that if you had a real sense of how motivated the teams were going into the game, these would be fairly easy to make money betting them, though it's really hard to determine that without inside info.

It really bums me out what has become of what once was a great tradition. I have such fond memories of watching bowl games all day, all of which were meaningful because of the rivalries they embodied. Unless you're betting, these games are a complete bore.
  • Like 2

It really bums me out what has become of what once was a great tradition. I have such fond memories of watching bowl games all day, all of which were meaningful because of the rivalries they embodied. Unless you're betting, these games are a complete bore.

As with almost anything, it's all about the $$$.

You guys, like I, remember the time before the championship series, when people were agitating for a college football playoff so a "true," champion could be crowned. One argument against it was that it would destroy the bowl games. It did.

• Like 1

You guys, like I, remember the time before the championship series, when people were agitating for a college football playoff so a "true," champion could be crowned. One argument against it was that it would destroy the bowl games. It did.

Yep.

And in college you can't get a true champion since there are too many teams with too disparate schedules. A false premise and greed over TV money and sporys betting have made the college football post season uninteresting.

• Like 2

Welp, Cinci got clocked. Guess I'm rooting for... Alabama now? Ugh. They win like every other year. How boring.

That said, I will not root for Michigan on principle.

Welp, Cinci got clocked. Guess I'm rooting for... Alabama now? Ugh. They win like every other year. How boring.

That said, I will not root for Michigan on principle.

Don't think it matters. This game is over.

f**k Bama and their failed pro coach.

So sick of the SEC. Won't even turn one second of the final game on.

Used to hate USC since I'm a Wazzu and UW fan but now I'm rooting hard for Riley to be over the top successful there just to revive west coast football and to end the SEC stranglehold on college football.

• Like 1

Notre Dame is going to.be much harder to hate now that they don't have an asshole for a head coach.
  • Like 1