Live Music - Some return to normality?

zepphead

I don't know about you guys across the pond, but here in UK I am starting to see the possibility of live gigs returning to something like pre-pandemic.

In the space of a few days we have booked tickets for big live shows in 2022 -

April 2022 - Dream Theater live in Belfast. It's their first visit here ......... I can't wait!!

May 2022 - Whitesnake/Foreigner/Europe live in Glasgow. A great lineup and once again Mr Coverdale goes on his retirement tour.

I am so looking forward to both shows.

Have any of you guys got great gigs lined up?

• Like 1

Other than local artists, I did a mini summer Dead tour with Dead and Company. Hit the Bristow (Washington DC), Philly, and Hershey shows.

Was in Nashville for work when Phish was in town. It was sold out and the cheapest resale seat was over 300 bucks so I hung out in the park adjacent to the venue and listened. Just missed the Black Crowes at the same venue who were there the pervious week.

For the Dead and Company shows, you had to show proof of COVID vaccination (which I had) or a negative test within 48 hours of the show.

I was very impressed with how efficient the COVID check process worked at all 3 shows and that there were no massive backups causing fans to miss the openers. Did feel great to feel somewhat of a sense of normalcy returning.

Back in Nashville for work this week. Bonaroo was supposed to be happening this week (about an hour away) but got cancelled due to rain/flooding/mud from the hurricane as opposed to COVID concerns. Wasn't planning on going anyways.

Another fun story: 3 of the hippies that I met at the Phish Nashville show and hung out with in the park, I ran into at the Hershey Dead show.

• Like 3

Missed King Crimson, no thanks to morons at AXS and their effed up online ticket disordering system.

Looking at Joe Bonamassa at Hard Rock Live Hollywood in December, and Eric Johnson in March of 2022.

• Like 1

No music shows but three stand up comedians in the near future. There have been concerts scheduled, but none that I want to see.

Stand up comedy might be the way to go when it comes to live entertainment for a while. A comedian has more of a solitary job and aren't in contact with other band members and road crews. So, it is less likely they will have to cancel shows because they got covid. They can obviously still get it but being just one person it's easier to try and keep things in check. There have already been many bands who have had to cancel or postpone shows in the US due to somebody in the touring family getting covid.

• Like 2

well, I know things have been quite different in the UK than here in the States - especially compared to the backwards state in which I live. At the local level, shows here never really stopped (big touring concerts did stop; I had to refund tickets I had for Tool. Local band gigs only paused for a month or two.) I had to turn down gigs for my band starting in May 2020; personally, I was not comfortable playing indoors at all; I did play a several outdoor shows over the rest of 2020. Once I was vaccinated in early 2021, I had some confidence to play indoor shows. Then, the virus picked up again (raging worse than ever here), but the cat was already out of the bag. Basically, I'm left with the choice of either taking some risk and play indoor gigs or I leave my band. Considering the big picture risk profile of my household and in regards to jobs, school, etc. I've accepted that risk and ventured out to see some shows:

I've gone to see King Crimson 3 times in the last 6 weeks - 2 dates local to me here in Florida (outdoor shows), and I flew up to New York for a show at my "hometown venue" in Saratoga. In Florida, the opener was California Guitar Trio (excellent!) and in New York, it was the Zappa Band (really excellent!!) Krimson was fantastic; one of my all-time favorites!

On Monday, I went to see Primus with The Sword supporting in Orlando. Primus was great; and they are covering "A Farewell to Kings" in it's entirety. Though I will say, I was not entirely comfortable with the density of the crowd at this show and I would probably not do that again.

I've had tickets for Steve Hackett (with my drum teacher on drums!) since ~ November 2019. Show was originally April 2020, then April 2021, now April 2022.

I just recently got tickets for The Pineapple Thief (with Gavin Harrison on drums!) here in Orlando April 2022, one week after Hackett.

Oh yeah, and Gojira is coming in October. I'm debating that one.

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

I have tickets for two shows in December. MisterWives (whom I'm sure very few of you care at all about) and Genesis. They went on sale towards the start of summer and I haven't heard anything about them backing out or postponing. Fingers still crossed it stays that way.
  • Like 1

I've gone to see King Crimson 3 times in the last 6 weeks - 2 dates local to me here in Florida (outdoor shows), and I flew up to New York for a show at my "hometown venue" in Saratoga. In Florida, the opener was California Guitar Trio (excellent!) and in New York, it was the Zappa Band (really excellent!!) Krimson was fantastic; one of my all-time favorites!

Jealous! I neeeed to see them.

• Like 1

Going to see Judas Priest outside in a couple of weeks. I got aisle seats, so hoping all will be OK. This was pre-Delta.... I rpobably wouldn't have bought them if Delta was a thing at hte time.

Also have an indoor play with the Mrs. In October. Thinking hard about bailing out. Don't want to test just how effective the vaccine is.....

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Going to see Judas Priest outside in a couple of weeks. I got aisle seats, so hoping all will be OK. This was pre-Delta.... I rpobably wouldn't have bought them if Delta was a thing at hte time.

Also have an indoor play with the Mrs. In October. Thinking hard about bailing out. Don't want to test just how effective the vaccine is.....

Yeah, I know what you mean .... the two gigs we have booked will have pretty big crowds at them ... I am slightly nervous about being in close proximity to so many people, but hoping that by then things may have settled a bit.
  • Like 1

Eagles coming in early Nov for 2 shows at the new arena in Seattle (where The Kracken are going to play). i KNOW They just played a gig at MSG and I think another in DC. The band is requiring attendees be vaxxed:

The Artist is requiring all attendees of this event to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to entry to the event, and is requiring fans agree to the terms below prior to ticket purchases & event entry. Please note these confirmations will apply to all members of your party before they are allowed to enter the event and to any users of the tickets purchased by you: By purchasing tickets for this event, I confirm that at the time of the event I will have been fully vaccinated (14 days past final vaccination shot). Children under 12 years of age will be required to take a COVID-19 diagnostic test (PCR or antigen) within 48 hours before entry to the facility, and will provide proof of negative result to security prior to entry into the facility. Mask wearing will be encouraged.

Have tix for a couple of shows in early October. We'll see.

Also, I'm so starved for a concert (it'll be 2 years in October) I agreed to go see Darius Rucker with the Mrs. and Sis-in-Law 9/26. Not real into country but he's not bad and like I said, live music by professionals!!

• Like 1

Other than local artists, I did a mini summer Dead tour with Dead and Company. Hit the Bristow (Washington DC), Philly, and Hershey shows.

Was in Nashville for work when Phish was in town. It was sold out and the cheapest resale seat was over 300 bucks so I hung out in the park adjacent to the venue and listened. Just missed the Black Crowes at the same venue who were there the pervious week.

For the Dead and Company shows, you had to show proof of COVID vaccination (which I had) or a negative test within 48 hours of the show.

I was very impressed with how efficient the COVID check process worked at all 3 shows and that there were no massive backups causing fans to miss the openers. Did feel great to feel somewhat of a sense of normalcy returning.

Back in Nashville for work this week. Bonaroo was supposed to be happening this week (about an hour away) but got cancelled due to rain/flooding/mud from the hurricane as opposed to COVID concerns. Wasn't planning on going anyways.

Another fun story: 3 of the hippies that I met at the Phish Nashville show and hung out with in the park, I ran into at the Hershey Dead show.

I attended Dead & Co at Citi Field, NY on Aug 20th. I decided to go because of the Covid restrictions and I did wear my mask during the show. Great show and it felt so good to see live music again. I did get tested 5 days after the show just to calm my mind.

I decided NOT to attend Phish in Atlantic City the week before because of the lack of Covid restrictions. Even though the show was on the beach, I just didn't feel comfortable with 38,000 people.

My next show is Trey Anastacio at Radio City in Oct. Covid restriction required.

• Like 2

Eagles coming in early Nov for 2 shows at the new arena in Seattle (where The Kracken are going to play). i KNOW They just played a gig at MSG and I think another in DC. The band is requiring attendees be vaxxed:

The Artist is requiring all attendees of this event to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to entry to the event, and is requiring fans agree to the terms below prior to ticket purchases & event entry. Please note these confirmations will apply to all members of your party before they are allowed to enter the event and to any users of the tickets purchased by you: By purchasing tickets for this event, I confirm that at the time of the event I will have been fully vaccinated (14 days past final vaccination shot). Children under 12 years of age will be required to take a COVID-19 diagnostic test (PCR or antigen) within 48 hours before entry to the facility, and will provide proof of negative result to security prior to entry into the facility. Mask wearing will be encouraged.

Also, I'm so starved for a concert (it'll be 2 years in October) I agreed to go see Darius Rucker with the Mrs. and Sis-in-Law 9/26. Not real into country but he's not bad and like I said, live music by professionals!!

We were scheduled to see Eagles in London last Sunday but sadly the UK shows succumbed to the pandemic. They were not rescheduled. I just hope we get an another opportunity to see them again in the future. Edited by zepphead

We were scheduled to see Eagles in London last Sunday but sadly the UK shows succumbed to the pandemic. They were not rescheduled. I just hope we get an another opportunity to see them again in the future.

Even without Glenn they are still very, very good. I hope you do too.

• Like 1

We were scheduled to see Eagles in London last Sunday but sadly the UK shows succumbed to the pandemic. They were not rescheduled. I just hope we get an another opportunity to see them again in the future.

Yes, I think Glenn's son Deacon, and Vince Gill have slotted in to the band really well. We got to see this lineup in Orlando in 2018 with Jimmy Buffett as support act. It was a great show.

Yes, I think Glenn's son Deacon, and Vince Gill have slotted in to the band really well. We got to see this lineup in Orlando in 2018 with Jimmy Buffett as support act. It was a great show.

Yeah we saw the same tour in May of that year. Enjoyed it thoroughly. We did not have Jimmy Buffet opening however. :(

• Like 1

Saw Primus a few weeks ago which I felt good about because it was in an outdoor venue. No issues there.

The following weekend I had tickets to GNR, which I'd bought a month ahead of time when it seemed like COVID numbers were trending in the right direction, but the show was happening right at the peak of this current surge in cases so I decided to bail. Just didn't feel comfortable about it even though I'm fully vaccinated—they weren't requiring proof at the time and even if they were, there's no way to enforce it at a venue that size. Bummed I couldn't go, especially because I wanted to see Wolf and Mammoth WVH opening, but it was for the best.

Have tickets to a few smaller shows (club/theater level) in the coming months that as of now I feel OK about because they're requiring proof of vaccination and the venues are small enough that they'll be able to actually check.

• Like 1

As the mostly lone voice of dissent, I mind as well cast my vote.

No, I'm not even looking at concerts or any large gathering events right now. Even being fully vaccinated. Just not worth it IMO. Granted, I don't go to shows very often (maybe once every year or two).

Maybe in 2022.

There's only a few artists who tour I'd want to see. Gojira might be one of them (you should go cygnify). Their new album is really good. King Crimson is a not yet, and they're through my area already, and it's likely their last US tour. Oh well. If Haken came through I'd try to catch them (had a ticket for their last AZ show, didn't end up going).

Sorry, whatevs.

• Like 1

No, I'm not even looking at concerts or any large gathering events right now. Even being fully vaccinated. Just not worth it IMO. Granted, I don't go to shows very often (maybe once every year or two).

Maybe in 2022.

There's only a few artists who tour I'd want to see. Gojira might be one of them (you should go cygnify). Their new album is really good. King Crimson is a not yet, and they're through my area already, and it's likely their last US tour. Oh well. If Haken came through I'd try to catch them (had a ticket for their last AZ show, didn't end up going).

Sorry, whatevs.

Certainly not dissent - I know exactly where you are coming from.

We thought long and hard before booking the two shows I mentioned (both 2022) but I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the crowd thing.

• Like 1

Maybe in 2022.

Sorry, whatevs.

Why do you think this is the last KC tour? Just curious, as I’d really like to see than but it’s certainly too late to see them this go round.

• Like 1

Maybe in 2022.

Sorry, whatevs.

Why do you think this is the last KC tour? Just curious, as I’d really like to see than but it’s certainly too late to see them this go round.

They have essentially said publicly in social media posts this is their last US tour. Partly because of the complexity/logistics but also the less than stellar turnout at several of the shows. They're getting old, it was inevitable.

• Like 1

Maybe in 2022.

Sorry, whatevs.

They have essentially said publicly in social media posts this is their last US tour. Partly because of the complexity/logistics but also the less than stellar turnout at several of the shows. They're getting old, it was inevitable.

Dang. But they didn't say anything about Europe? Maybe I can zip myself across the pond at some point to catch them.

• Like 1