Crop Killer - Just Like Regular Chickens

I recently recorded and produced a new record for my friends band, Crop Killer. The genre is tough to categorize, but it's indie rock with some punk, surf, and 90's alt flavors. The album turned out pretty well, and has been getting some local play and press here in Phoenix.

Check out song #3 - Negative Nancy, and #6 - Rip Van Twinkle, first.

Give them a listen. Some interesting writing.

• Like 1

This is definitely different! Some real funky-ass chord changes going on, which I always appreciate. The production is first rate, as is always the case when you're the one turning the knobs.

Did the three of them record the basic tracks live in the room, because you can hear subtle tempo changes and they're nicely in sync with each other.

• Like 1

Really like the material. Does remind me of The Pixies and other 90's music. It's very varied and interesting. I like the production, though I like it opened up at bit more. That's my personal preference. Excellent overall. I could see a lot of interest in this band.
  • Like 1

This is definitely different! Some real funky-ass chord changes going on, which I always appreciate. The production is first rate, as is always the case when you're the one turning the knobs.

Did the three of them record the basic tracks live in the room, because you can hear subtle tempo changes and they're nicely in sync with each other.

Yeah, it's really different. Was definitely a bit of stretch for me with this type of music. But overall I enjoyed the process, and will be starting their second album over the winter.

Recording process: *Drums were recorded first, with everyone playing in the same room (no amps on). Tracked bass at the same time, but only used some of it. Then tracked guitars. Then re-tracked bass. Tracked vocals. Tracked extra's (guitars, tamborine, spoken word). Mixed. Mastered. Done.

(*drums were recorded all at once, and if there was a mistake we started over. Fewest takes=2, most=4)

This was recorded in a 12'x12' bedroom at the bass players house. Vocals, bass, and extra's recorded at my house.

Initially this was supposed to be just a decent demo, which is why we didn't do it all at my house, and I used my old portable rig. But it was sounding pretty good during tracking so we just went for it. Recorded on my old Korg D1600, then transferred all tracks to Reaper for mixing.

• Like 1