What is the "quintessential" classic rock song?

Entre_Perpetuo

What song do you think best epitomizes rock from that golden age during the 60s, 70s, 80s, and a bit of the 90s that radio likes to call "classic rock?" Not what song is the best! Not even close to that. Just what song would you show an alien first who asked what is classic rock?

For me, I think it has to be "Rock And Roll All Nite" by Kiss, but only the live cut from Alive! It's got the heavy guitars, the danceable groove, the killer guitar solo, that massive chorus, it's a rock and roll party in about 3 minutes. Plus you can hear the 1000s of screaming fans all the way through.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is a production marvel. A masterpiece of studio wizardry. With that said, I can live the rest of my life and never hear it again and I would be perfectly happy. The song is played to death. A song like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" never seems to bore me. It's a simple riff based song I never tire of. Simplicity and brevity over complexity and length. Just my humble opinion...
  • Like 3

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is a production marvel. A masterpiece of studio wizardry. With that said, I can live the rest of my life and never hear it again and I would be perfectly happy. The song is played to death. A song like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" never seems to bore me. It's a simple riff based song I never tire of. Simplicity and brevity over complexity and length. Just my humble opinion...

Fair enough!

Being the old dinosaur that I am, I choose either Stairway To Heaven or Smoke On The Water

http://www.greatdanegraphics.com/content/images/thumbs/0036958_rock-n-roll-dino-emb_385.jpeg

• Like 4

What song do you think best epitomizes rock from that golden age during the 60s, 70s, 80s, and a bit of the 90s that radio likes to call "classic rock?" Not what song is the best! Not even close to that. Just what song would you show an alien first who asked what is classic rock?

For me, I think it has to be "Rock And Roll All Nite" by Kiss, but only the live cut from Alive! It's got the heavy guitars, the danceable groove, the killer guitar solo, that massive chorus, it's a rock and roll party in about 3 minutes. Plus you can hear the 1000s of screaming fans all the way through.

• Like 2

Boston - More than a Feeling

It may not be the very best of all the songs but it has all the requisite ingredients of what makes classic rock "classic"

• Like 4

Ten years ago I would've said Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger. But I fear that has slipped from Classic Rock to Oldies. Which is weird, because it's not even THAT old. I just feel like it played to an older sound than a lot of other songs in that era.

So now, I think I'd go with a song that's just two years newer with Don't Stop Believing by Journey. It's definitely overplayed, but almost universally one that people sing along to. It's got the easy to digest four chords of pop rock, and vocals that just pull you in as a wannabe participant. It's bright, uplifting and energetic- and I think it best defines today's view of classic rock.

• Like 4

Bruce doesn't get a lot of love around here, but. . . . Born To Run, just because you gotta love the saxophone! Also, it has girls, cars, and the beach. :)

Jumpin' Jack Flash for some reason as well. Excellent chord structure and "in fact it's a gas" is a great lyric.

• Like 2