Normal kid things that you missed

Krystal

I got the idea for this thread from Zach Braff's Garden State. I guess mine would be movies. My parents never took me to the theatre. I never had gymnastics or piano lessons either, unlike most of my friends in school. The only thing I was allowed to do was swimming, but just the first 2 levels.
  • Like 1

I was 8 when my brother was first ill and I was really lonely after he died, for many many years :( Probably a bit too serious an answer, so I`ll say... nah, I was allowed to do anything and I would have had a great childhood otherwise.
  • Like 1

Yeah, not to humble-brag about it, but my childhood was pretty great.

But, in the spirit of the question, because we lived in a small town and my parents were not into sports, I never did any youth sports: no little league baseball, no Pop Warner football, no YMCA soccer, nada. We also never did summer camp, but I'm grateful for that!

I'm sorry your parents never took you to the movies, Krystal. My dad was kid of the '50s and movies were in his blood -- we literally went every Sunday afternoon (sometimes Saturday afternoon).

• Like 1

I was 8 when my brother was first ill and I was really lonely after he died, for many many years :( Probably a bit too serious an answer, so I`ll say... nah, I was allowed to do anything and I would have had a great childhood otherwise.

Sorry for your loss.

I can remember buying concert tickets when I was 13 but that would've involved sneaking out of the house. My father was old school and hated modern music. My sister and I ended up not going.

• Like 1

Yeah, not to humble-brag about it, but my childhood was pretty great.

But, in the spirit of the question, because we lived in a small town and my parents were not into sports, I never did any youth sports: no little league baseball, no Pop Warner football, no YMCA soccer, nada. We also never did summer camp, but I'm grateful for that!

I'm sorry your parents never took you to the movies, Krystal. My dad was kid of the '50s and movies were in his blood -- we literally went every Sunday afternoon (sometimes Saturday afternoon).

The only sports we were allowed to do were tennis and ping pong. The only summer camp I ever went to was a ping pong camp. I think my father was paranoid or at least very obsessive. He thought all the other sports were too dangerous to partake in, although he was a fan of wrestling and boxing. He never took me to any movies, but at least I got to see a wrestling match. Unfortunately, I never got to meet Dwayne Johnson. Edited by Krystal
  • Like 1

Really hit the parental lottery. They aren't perfect but for the most part were fantastic, especially my mother. I played all sports year around, could've had music lessons if I'd asked (was too busy playing sports!), all done on a one income, borderline lower middle class income.
  • Like 3

I didn't really get much at all, but that was probably due to the fact of having two parents who were alcoholics...didn't really bode well for a happy childhood when every spare penny was spent on booze....
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss.

I can remember buying concert tickets when I was 13 but that would've involved sneaking out of the house. My father was old school and hated modern music. My sister and I ended up not going.

I didn`t have to do any sneaking but my Dad was really against music I liked, he said he`d arrest the bands that swear (he was in the police and was always really against rock music after he had to attend Knebworth a few times in the 70s). We had an argument in the car when I played "Sinner`s Swing". My first concert was DLR in 1991 (when I was 15). I don`t think it was great, that`s my main memory. Would have been better if Jason Becker hadn`t pulled out, as he`d just started to struggle with his playing.

I didn't really get much at all, but that was probably due to the fact of having two parents who were alcoholics...didn't really bode well for a happy childhood when every spare penny was spent on booze....

I can't even imagine living in a family like that. Did you have a support group?

sibling love

Sadly, you are not alone.

I think I opened up several cans of worms. Maybe I need to start an advice column on TRF.

I prolly should've posted this in Open Secrets. Thank you everyone for your responses. :hi:

• Like 1

I grew up in a fundamentalist religious household so there were several things we didn't do that many kids did. Public swimming, movies, concerts, certain games, etc. But I also did things that a lot of other kids never got to do like move to a new state every few years which brought new places to see and new people to meet.
  • Like 1

I can't even imagine living in a family like that. Did you have a support group?

sibling love

Sadly, you are not alone.

I think I opened up several cans of worms. Maybe I need to start an advice column on TRF.

I prolly should've posted this in Open Secrets. Thank you everyone for your responses. :hi:

I had a good childhood. My sister and brother and myself all loved each other. My parents too. I will always treasure what i had.

• Like 2

I got the idea for this thread from Zach Braff's Garden State. I guess mine would be movies. My parents never took me to the theatre. I never had gymnastics or piano lessons either, unlike most of my friends in school. The only thing I was allowed to do was swimming, but just the first 2 levels.

Speaking of friends, I was rarely allowed to sleep over at friends' houses, but that was due to my friends being largely unknown to my parents.

No, I would not change it. A driver's license eventually let me do what I wanted.

No, I had Aspergers syndrome (not diagnosed till adulthood), so didn't really make friends...school and childhood were pretty hellish.

My dad and his two partners started their own company when my sister and I were going into jr. high. Things were lean for a couple of years and we understood that, but one way my parents dealt with it was to cut back on our clothes for going back to school. :P

Right at a bad age, too! We were allowed to get 1 new pair of jeans and 2 shirts each fall for a couple of years. (It was a change for us, I admit we were lucky to have things different up to that point.). We learned to do a lot of babysitting and also sewing to add to our wardrobe. And to take our jeans out of the washer, wet, and stretchhhhh them because we were always growing! :lol: Things relaxed after a few years but my sister and I still joke about it!

Things could have been worse. We had a lot of fun and a lot of support at home.

Edited by blueschica

No, I had Aspergers syndrome (not diagnosed till adulthood), so didn't really make friends...school and childhood were pretty hellish.

:hug2:

Bit like my mother... :(

Bit like my mother... :(

You both have my sincerest sympathies

Never mind. It's not worth revising the past. Onward and upward.

Pretty much my take. My childhood

and my parents were far from perfect, but I think I made the best of it. I'm actually pretty proud of my resilience.

• Like 2