What's your favorite Rush era?

PassToBangkok

For me Rush' music changed so much over the years there are a range of eras to choose from (it worked out as nine):-

1. 1968-74: John Rutsey era.

2. 1974-76: Early years with Neil.

3. 1977-79: English prog phase.

4. 1980-83: The peak years.

5. 1984-88: The synth era.

6. 1989-92: Rupert does Rush.

7. 1993-97: Post-grunge.

8. 2000s: The comeback years.

9. 2010s: The last hurrah.

While #4 would be an obvious choice, #2 was what got me hooked (10 years after the albums came out), but I will probably say #8 because I thought everything was done in 1997 and it was so great to see them back and experiencing them live again :)

Edited by Lurkst

There are as many RUSH era's as there are RUSH fans it seems, but I find it hard to believe that anyone leaves out 2112. But then that was in my wheelhouse at the time which seems to be the deciding factor in these things. It's all about what we jammed to when in our formative and hormone addled years. That said, there are at least two or three songs on every RUSH album that I like and will dig up and listen to.

I'd like to give special mention to Counterparts, which has perhaps the best sound of any RUSH album and a first four songs that kick serious ass.

My favorite is the COS/2112/FTK/Hem run. Add in PeW and MP as well but I like them a tiny (very tiny) bit less than the COS-Hem run.

I think the eras should have been defined before asking this question. I'll offer these:

The "rawk" era: Rush

The fantasy era: FBN, CoS, 2112

The prog era: AFTK, Hemispheres

The AOR era: PeW, MP, Signals

The synth era: p/g, PoW, HYF

The Rupert Hine era: Presto, RTB

The grunge era: CP, T4E

The modern era: VT, S&A, CA

Personally, I'll go with the synth era. It slightly edges out the AOR era solely on the strength of Power Windows, which is one of the best albums in history. IMO, that's when Rush peaked, at least from the perspective of studio albums. Their live performances kept improving up to about the T4E tour and then started tapering off around R30.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 1

Probably got to go with FBN through PW. It felt really smooth and creative. If i had to narrow it down, I would really say 2112 through MP. I enjoy listening to Presto and Roll the Bones, but with counterparts I don't like the double tracking on Geddy's voice on Nobody's Hero. Especially during the acoustic section, it sounds really out of place. I also think the drums sound way to processed on Counterparts. The drum sound from AFTK and Hemispheres was ideal for me. Though in terms of songwriting, I think it shot back up with Counterparts. A slightly toned down remaster of Counterparts would probably be one of the best Rush albums ever. Edited by Xanadu3663

I've always thought Everyday Glory sounded out of place on Counterparts... the lyrical theme and the guitar sound seems to have come from a different album. I'm not bashing it, I like the song but it just seems to stick out like a sore thumb on that one for me especially as the closing tune.

I think the easiest way to answer this is to split up their music by the type of music they were doing then.

1974 (Hard Rock Era) Rush

1975-1978 (Fantasy Era) Fly By Night, COS, 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres)

1979-1989 (The Synth Era) Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire,

1990-1992 (Return to Guitar Sound) Presto, Roll The Bones

1993-1997 (The Grunge Era) Counterparts, Test For Echo

2002-2012 (The Comeback and Modern Rock) Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels

I love them all but my favorite is probably the Synth Era. Just so many good albums back to back, but the Modern Rock Era is outstanding also.

Edited by TheGhostRider

I think the easiest way to answer this is to split up their music by the type of music they were doing then.

1979-1989 (The Synth Era) Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire,

2002-2012 (The Comeback and Modern Rock) Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels

I love them all but my favorite is probably the Synth Era. Just so many good albums back to back, but the Modern Rock Era is outstanding also.

As the recognized TRF authority on The Synth Era. I’ll have you know it starts with Signals, although that is quality Broone Era stuff. It also includes Presto. While on the subject only knuckle dragging cavemen can’t appreciate The Synth Era’s greatnesses.

• Like 1

As the recognized TRF authority on The Synth Era. I’ll have you know it starts with Signals, although that is quality Broone Era stuff. It also includes Presto. While on the subject only knuckle dragging cavemen can’t appreciate The Synth Era’s greatnesses.

I actually had Presto in the Synth Era but I removed it because I wasn't sure. But I'm pretty sure Permanent Waves had Synths in it so I put it first.

I actually had Presto in the Synth Era but I removed it because I wasn't sure. But I'm pretty sure Permanent Waves had Synths in it so I put it first.

As I think about it, I have really always seen two eras being 1. Broon and 2. post-Broon. Broon = good, post- Broon = bad (except for GUP and a few songs here and there). I think if they let Broon stick around their synth era would have been way better, in the vein of Jacobs Ladder/PeW, rather than the soft 80's rock that emerged.

As I think about it, I have really always seen two eras being 1. Broon and 2. post-Broon. Broon = good, post- Broon = bad (except for GUP and a few songs here and there). I think if they let Broon stick around their synth era would have been way better, in the vein of Jacobs Ladder/PeW, rather than the soft 80's rock that emerged.

I think Power Windows is the best album the band recorded and the peak of their career, so I disagree.

If anyone cares, I wrote this breakdown on a different thread, in my very first post here:

1) Finding Their Way/Beginnings (debut to COS)

2) High Prog (you know the albums)

3) AOR Success (PW to Signals)

4) High Synth (GUP to HYF)

5) Refinding Their Balls (Presto to TFE)

[Peart break]

6) Heavy Old Man Rock (last three)

"Refinding their balls" refers to lack of synths and especially Alex's ripping tone throughout Counterparts.

Hard to pick favorites, but I rarely listen to 1 and 6, if that says anything.

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 1

I think Power Windows is the best album the band recorded and the peak of their career, so I disagree.

I think most would disagree that Power Windows was the peak of Rush's career.

• Like 2

Myself. I only listen to the Terry Brown produced albums.

- Rush - March 1974 (TB engineered)

- Fly By Night - Feb 1975

- Caress of Steel - Sept 1975

- 2112 - April 1976

- All the World's a Stage - Sept 1976

- A Farewell to Kings - Sept 1977

- Hemispheres - Oct 1978

- Permanent Waves - Jan 1980

- Moving Pictures - Feb 1981

- Exit Stage Left - Oct 1981

- Signals - Sept 1982

Lets just say everything from Grace Under Pressure and on - is not my cup of tea.

I thought Broon made it very clear in the documentary that he had no interest in going in the synth direction, so "way better" could have never been a realistic solution.

Rush wanted to evolve and explore, and he didn't really, thus the parting.

To me, the official end of the synth era didn't really come until Counterparts, which is in my top 5 of Rush albums.

• Like 1