• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PassToBangkok

PassToBangkok

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 02:12 PM

On my copy of the LP, the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline is blocked out. l probably bought it in the late 80s or early 90s. When did this alteration to the cover take place? And does anyone know why?

Sponsored Post

#2 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81277 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 15 August 2021 - 02:27 PM

Use of the Dewey Defeats Truman headline turned out to be a copyright violation, so only a small number of copies were actually released with that artwork.

Here's one of those for sale, apparently:  https://www.popsike....0996102030.html

This gives some insight to the PeW cover, though no mention of the copyright issue.

#3 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 11878 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 15 August 2021 - 02:27 PM

Some discussion of it here-  http://www.therushfo...ermanent-waves/

And welcome!

#4 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 66509 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 15 August 2021 - 05:59 PM

... and I imagined this thread might be panties-related

oh well :unsure:

#5 Rhyta

Rhyta

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:09 PM

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 August 2021 - 05:59 PM, said:

:laughing guy:

#6 PassToBangkok

PassToBangkok

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:18 PM

Speaking of panties, it reminds me of when l was about 8 years old. l went to the local corner store and bought the Permanent Waves bubble gum record. The lady who looked to be in her 30s working the cash register was Asian and didn't speak good English. She pointed to the panties, smiled and said "You like that one yeah?" l just smiled. Actually, l didn't even notice the panties until she pointed it out. Those bubble gum record jackets were small-about 3 inches.

#7 PassToBangkok

PassToBangkok

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

l read about the album cover. The photo was taken in Galveston after Hurricane Carla in 1961. My grandparents had their roof damaged by Carla in Houston. That was 11 years before l was born.

Edited by PassToBangkok, 15 August 2021 - 07:22 PM.

#8 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81277 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:55 PM

View PostRhyta, on 15 August 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

:laughing guy:
x2

#9 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81277 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:56 PM

View PostPassToBangkok, on 15 August 2021 - 07:21 PM, said:

l read about the album cover. The photo was taken in Galveston after Hurricane Carla in 1961. My grandparents had their roof damaged by Carla in Houston. That was 11 years before l was born.
Galveston oh Galveston...

#10 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14575 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:02 PM

View Postgoose, on 15 August 2021 - 07:56 PM, said:

He was a great singer.

#11 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:11 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 15 August 2021 - 08:02 PM, said:

He was a great singer.
Sang and played guitar on Pet Sounds and bass with the band on stage subbing for "mentally ailing" Brian Wilson for 4 months in late '64 and early '65.

Edited by driventotheedge, 16 August 2021 - 07:15 AM.

#12 Rhyta

Rhyta

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:15 AM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 16 August 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

He was a great singer.
Sang and played guitar on Pet Sounds and bass with the band on stage subbing for "mentally ailing" Brian Wilson for 4 months in late '64 and early '65.
Glen Campbell was a member of the Wrecking Crew before he got his break as a singer.  I read the book, it was very interesting to know all these people played on a lot of big hits. The group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.  What was even cooler (for me) is the bass player was a woman, Carol Kaye.

Edited by Rhyta, 18 August 2021 - 12:16 AM.

#13 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14575 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:27 AM

He was a great singer.

I had no idea.

#14 taurus

taurus

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2278 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:32 AM

Was it just the Canadian pressings that kept the headline (almost) intact?

#15 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81277 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:37 AM

View PostRhyta, on 18 August 2021 - 12:15 AM, said:

He was a great singer.
Glen Campbell was a member of the Wrecking Crew before he got his break as a singer.  I read the book, it was very interesting to know all these people played on a lot of big hits. The group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.  What was even cooler (for me) is the bass player was a woman, Carol Kaye.
Great bass player.

#16 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:53 AM

He was a great singer.
I know of The Wrecking Crew and knew they were basically The Monkees and that Brian used them for Beach Boys songs etc. and I know of Carol Kaye (who I believe is still alive). I did not know there was a book about them nor did I know Glen was with them for a while. I will look into the book for sure. Thnx for piquing my interest.

#17 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81277 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 18 August 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

He was a great singer.
I know of The Wrecking Crew and knew they were basically The Monkees and that Brian used them for Beach Boys songs etc. and I know of Carol Kaye (who I believe is still alive). I did not know there was a book about them nor did I know Glen was with them for a while. I will look into the book for sure. Thnx for piquing my interest.
There's a bunch of documentary stuff on YouTube that is worth checking out.  :)

#18 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5590 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:31 AM

View Posttaurus, on 18 August 2021 - 08:32 AM, said:

Yes. The Anthem pressings were the only ones. Other pressings had a number variations but the Canadian pressings seem to have made it through with the least amount of trouble.

#19 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1818 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

View Postytserush, on 21 August 2021 - 11:31 AM, said:

View Posttaurus, on 18 August 2021 - 08:32 AM, said:

Yes. The Anthem pressings were the only ones. Other pressings had a number variations but the Canadian pressings seem to have made it through with the least amount of trouble.

Actually no.  As far as I'm aware, New Zealand is the only country that had the fully intact original cover design, complete with the Coca-Cola billboard.  Every major market had its own version of the cover; so far I've noticed unique designs for Canada, the US, the UK, Germany, France, and New Zealand.  There are probably others, but those are the most common ones.

My goal is to someday own a copy of every version.  I'm trying to get my hands on a New Zealand copy, but they're rare and go for quite a bit of money.

Edited by Rush Didact, 22 August 2021 - 03:17 PM.

#20 taurus

taurus

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2278 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:20 PM

Cool - I would imagine any New Zealand version of a Rush release is uncommon.

Just checked out discogs and looks like the NZ version even keeps the correct spelling of the headline. No copies up for sale atm,  but looks like previous sales , this version can go for quite a bit.

Edited by taurus, 22 August 2021 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users