• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Geddyleegenes

Geddyleegenes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:30 PM

I suppose I should say that there are SPOILERS ahead, so if you're planning on seeing the Primus Tribute to Kings, you might not want to read some of this stuff I'm about to write.

Saw the concert at the Chicago Theater on the 21st of September.  Really enjoyed the entire night.  The Sword opened for Primus.  No, had never heard of them.  Their first song and a couple more further into their performance reminded me of early Black Sabbath.  Pretty good stuff.

I had not been familiar with Primus or their own material at all.  I had previously listened to one song of theirs  which ended up in their 35 minute (or so!) encore Tuesday night.  I did enjoy their songs.  Their videos though were downright disturbing!  (No, that's not a bad thing.)  The plastic-like cowboys were strange enough, but the bass-playing pig with the circus performers behind him were incredibly weird!

One thing though, I would have liked it if, like Rush on stage, there had been some cameras on the guys and shots of them put up on the screen now and then.  The videos kept repeating, forward and reversing.  I also would have liked it if once in a while the guys on stage were lit up themselves.  I watched the entire concert and honestly have to say I never saw what any of them look like because they were kept in the dark the entire concert.

The Tribute itself was just simply fantastic.  Truly, fantastic.  I was surprised at how much they stuck to the music as recorded and played by Rush.  No, the singer is nothing like Geddy and certainly didn't have to try to be like him.  He handled every song just great.  Well, maybe he was off a little bit on Madrigal, but nothing terrible.  He's a really good singer.

Most surprising of all to me, was that Primus invested in actual videos for the Rush songs.  The video for Xanadu was great.  I had actually seen the film footage used for Cinderella Man previously on YouTube.  The footage from the 1920s that is.  Someone has gone through a lot of trouble to repair and correct the speed of those films.  Also colorized them to make them more life-like.  Really cool.

Absolutely amazing was the video made for Cygnus X-1.  WOW!  Now THAT was a little bit of too much, eh?!  Really incredible stuff.

Went to the concert with my best friend from High School who introduced me to Rush 41 years ago.  I really owe him.  What a Dude!

Edited by Geddyleegenes, 23 September 2021 - 09:32 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 66700 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:54 PM

I saw the show Friday.  It was really good.  My God Les Bass tone (and playing of course) is utterly phenomenal.  The Rush songs tugged on my heart - cheering for the boys, and special cheers for Neil, and I realized esp during Xanadu how much I f-cking miss my band playing live.  I enjoyed the whole show - the energy, playing, song choices.  Fing awesome.

#23 grep

grep

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2210 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

Geddyleegenes, on 23 September 2021 - 09:30 PM, said:

The Sword opened for Primus.  No, had never heard of them.  Their first song and a couple more further into their performance reminded me of early Black Sabbath.  Pretty good stuff.

Yeah, The Sword are great.  You're right, they evoke Black Sabbath.  I like to think of them as a modern, psychedelic band that just happens to be heavy. If you want to explore, start with any record. They're all good.

Edited by grep, 06 October 2021 - 08:13 AM.

#24 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3806 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

Going tonight (Richmond, VA).  Black Mountain opening up.  Was supposed to be Wolfmother but they had visa issues.  
I have seen Wolfmother before though.
Black Mountain seems to be a lot like Pink Floyd from a couple of youtube videos I checked out.

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2116 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:14 AM

I'm sold.

Tickets are cheap for The Greek show too. No brainer.

#26 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 66700 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:08 PM

apetersvt, on 06 October 2021 - 10:04 AM, said:

Going tonight (Richmond, VA).  Black Mountain opening up.  Was supposed to be Wolfmother but they had visa issues.  
I have seen Wolfmother before though.
Black Mountain seems to be a lot like Pink Floyd from a couple of youtube videos I checked out.

See if you can remember their name during the show.  You'll laugh when it hits you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users