Most overrated drummer?

kazzman

Why is everyone comparing Portnoy to Neil?!

We are just saying Portnoy's awesome, but then people keep saying "He's not Neil Peart" confused13.gif

So he's not Neil Peart! Nobody ever will be! That doesn't make him any less great.

Edited by Steel Rat

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portnoy compares himself to Neil.

Portnoy is all chops and technique, but has no soul and is devoid of feeling. This is what makes him less great. He is far from awesome. Buddy Rich was awesome. Dave Weckl is awesome. Terry Bozzio is awesome. Mike Portnoy is a yawn.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 28 2005, 07:02 PM)
Portnoy compares himself to Neil.
Portnoy is all chops and technique, but has no soul and is devoid of feeling. This is what makes him less great. He is far from awesome. Buddy Rich was awesome. Dave Weckl is awesome. Terry Bozzio is awesome. Mike Portnoy is a yawn.

yes.gif goodpost.gif trink39.gif trink38.gif

I think I've seen him compare himself to Neil once.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 2 2005, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 1 2005, 10:49 PM)
I all of a sudden see your points about him....it's actaully true he does compare himself to Neil....hmmmm

Are you starting to come around, D? smile.gif trink39.gif

*opens eyes* uhhh what happened? ow my head!!! wacko.gif LOL yea dude i'm back....damn monkey....*shakes fist*

LOL ok that was an after school random attack hahahahaha laugh.gif laugh.gif

but on a serious note...yes...yes I am smile.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 2 2005, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 2 2005, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 1 2005, 10:49 PM)
I all of a sudden see your points about him....it's actaully true he does compare himself to Neil....hmmmm

Are you starting to come around, D? smile.gif trink39.gif

*opens eyes* uhhh what happened? ow my head!!! wacko.gif LOL yea dude i'm back....damn monkey....*shakes fist*

LOL ok that was an after school random attack hahahahaha laugh.gif laugh.gif

but on a serious note...yes...yes I am smile.gif trink39.gif

yes.gif About time. Welcome!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Little late to the party here, but I'll wade in.

I like drummers. My brother was a drummer, so even though I'm not a drummer myself, I had a bit more exposure than some growing up.

I guess I just don't get all the negative energy here. I can see discussing the obvious ones, like Ringo perhaps, but I don't get some of these other guys you're raggin' on.

I admit it, I like Portnoy. I'm not a huge DT fan but like a fair amount of their stuff. Regardless, I think Portnoy has worked damn hard at his trade. I don't know anyone who would say he didn't push himself, or anyone who would say he rested on his laurels once he found some success.

On the other hand, I think there are examples of drummers who haven't pushed themselves much, if at all. Shouldn't they be the subject of this thread, if anyone?

Guy who works hard all his life at drumming and says Neil is one of his inspirations?

Cripes, that's a guy we should be applauding, not booing.

I haven't seen the text where he brags he's the best in the world. Maybe it's true, but I'd like to see the quote.

I don't have a problem with people bringing his name into this thread if they think he's winning more awards than he's due. But no soul? That seems a bit over the top. The man has worked damn hard to get where he is.

I also think, if asked, Neil would say, "Portnoy? He's good."

My humble 2 cents,

cool.gif

Schro

Edited by Schro

goodpost.gif I totally agree with you everything you have said. Portony has worked hard to where he has gotten and he doesn't sit back for one minute. He has one of the biggest kits that we have seen in recent years and I would call that an everlasting quest to become one with his instrument. Just my 0.02

QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Mar 2 2005, 01:33 PM)

How many interviews have you read with him? Because he does it in like every interview he's ever given.

I totally agree with Kazz about Mike and DT. Great musicians, on a purely technical scale. But other than that the music is completely emotionless and sounds like soloing for the sake of soloing.

And don't say I haven't given them a chance either. Because I have listened to every single one of their albums many times trying to see what everyone else thinks is so great about them. And like I said...soloing for the sake or soloing. Even their short songs I can't even listen to without dying of boredom. As for the epics...even the ones that are like 10 minutes (short, for them) feel like 5 hours and always make me wish I was listening to 2112 or Hemispheres instead because that's how epics should be done.

OK I'm done with my rant.

The analogy that comes to my mind when it comes to Portney is guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. Sure he is technically a good guitarist, well -trained etc....but VERY BORING and full of himself. I saw DT live last fall and was totally not impressed. schla03.gif Also, he does compare himself to Neil COUNTLESS times....

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 10 2005, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Mar 2 2005, 01:33 PM)

How many interviews have you read with him? Because he does it in like every interview he's ever given.

I totally agree with Kazz about Mike and DT. Great musicians, on a purely technical scale. But other than that the music is completely emotionless and sounds like soloing for the sake of soloing.

And don't say I haven't given them a chance either. Because I have listened to every single one of their albums many times trying to see what everyone else thinks is so great about them. And like I said...soloing for the sake or soloing. Even their short songs I can't even listen to without dying of boredom. As for the epics...even the ones that are like 10 minutes (short, for them) feel like 5 hours and always make me wish I was listening to 2112 or Hemispheres instead because that's how epics should be done.

OK I'm done with my rant.

Thank god. yes.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 28 2005, 02:47 AM)
QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 08:22 AM)
I really liked Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood album, but other than that the band, and their drummer Tommy Lee, are highly overrated in my book.

I remember distinctly two complete ripoffs by the Crue on that Dr. Feelgood album. One was on Kickstart My Heart, where they have a section that was almost identical to a section in Van Halen's Romeo's Delight. The other is on Without You, where there is a section that is an obvious lift from the Beatles' I Want You/She's So Heavy. Tommy Lee's rotating cage for his solo is an imitation of Carl Palmer. The Palmer imitation stops there, I'd imagine. Sorry, I can't vouch for the Crue, period.

I've listened to some of Dream Theater. It's not bad, and it's clear they can play. But it seems to me there's something theyu're missing. It's hard to get past LaBrie's vocals and the keyboards, and my ear isn't good enough to pick up everything else that's going on.

OT start:

My fave member of The Motleys is Vince Neil!! One of most underrated singers of all time.

Before u start saying Vince Neil should never step to a mike, think about half the world that can't stop dissing Geddy's voice.

OT finish.

I pretty much don't care for what Motley Crue ripped off. Everyone in the business save for Rush probably ripped someone off. Bon Jovi stole Joe Lynn Turner's ideas (the ideas are still unreleased), Ritchie Blackmore and Co lifted a lot of stuff including CiT...

And I totally agree with u. It's painful 4 me 2 listen 2 laBrie. His strained typical power metal vocals are absolutely soulless. Technical and soulless. Think Timo Kotipelto of Stratovarius must list laBrie as one of his idols. Another example of that type of singers I so strongly dislike is Marc Boals who actually sang with that very Yng Yang Malmsteen people mention here!

DT r much less of Rush disciples than of YJM's disciples to me. Soulless virtuoso approach. For Heaven's sake, even ELP have always had so much charisma and passion! DT can never ever touch any true rock band in this sense.

And their covers of Tears and Different Strings left me utterly disappointed, again it was the singer's fault.

QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 3 2005, 05:26 AM)
I haven't seen the text where he brags he's the best in the world. Maybe it's true, but I'd like to see the quote.

Well 2 b honest, in the interview I've quoted he's quite realistic about his playing, admitting he ain't the best. I think he learned to do that from Neil, didn't he LOL

But it's not about megalomania of Mike, but about the Portnoymania... and DT-mania...

He's good but I can name a dozen of equally technical session men like Gary Ferguson and Shane Gaalaas. Prove me they're unable to play Mike's stuff. I have no proof. But how many of us know these names and listen to their music on a regular basis?

This is what being over-rated means.

There's a prog rock stand in a nearby music shop. It's got it all, from Atomic Rooster to whatever prog band's name starts with Z. Saga. A lot of DT. But NO Rush. How's that? Underrated eh?

Speaking of Mike Portnoy, Dream Theaters new album has just been anounced.

From mikeportnoy.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream Theater have completed work on their 8th full length studio album entitled "OCTAVARIUM" which is tentatively set for release through Atlantic Records on June 7th 2005.

The track listing is as follows:

1. The Root Of All Evil

2. The Answer Lies Within

3. These Walls

4. I Walk Beside You

5. Panic Attack

6. Never Enough

7. Sacrificed Sons

8. Octavarium

Dream Theater's 2005/2006 World Tour will kick off on June 10th in Sweden with a leg of European Festivals and select headlining shows which will then be followed by a North American leg throughout July/August as part of a "package" tour with several other bands TBA very soon.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty f***ing cool eh?

QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Mar 12 2005, 05:29 AM)

From mikeportnoy.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream Theater have completed work on their 8th full length studio album entitled "OCTAVARIUM" which is tentatively set for release through Atlantic Records on June 7th 2005.

1. The Root Of All Evil
3. These Walls
4. I Walk Beside You
5. Panic Attack
6. Never Enough
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium

Dream Theater's 2005/2006 World Tour will kick off on June 10th in Sweden with a leg of European Festivals and select headlining shows which will then be followed by a North American leg throughout July/August as part of a "package" tour with several other bands TBA very soon.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty f***ing cool eh?

schla03.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 12 2005, 04:18 PM)

From mikeportnoy.com

1. The Root Of All Evil
3. These Walls
4. I Walk Beside You
5. Panic Attack
6. Never Enough
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium

Pretty f***ing cool eh?

schla03.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Back on topic, ELO's Bev Bevan is a good example of success in inverse proportion to talent. It was actually 1979's ELO Wembley concert video that got me into drumming....at the tender age of 10. When I grew up a bit and realised that Bevan is miming through much of that video doh.gif .........I've never forgiven him for that. Had the misfortune to see Bevan play a drum solo at an ELO Part II gig......truly, truly appalling. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 12 2005, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 12 2005, 04:18 PM)

From mikeportnoy.com

1. The Root Of All Evil
3. These Walls
4. I Walk Beside You
5. Panic Attack
6. Never Enough
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium

Pretty f***ing cool eh?

schla03.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

real f***ing funny...