Different Stages opinions?

Entre_Perpetuo

Here's a question. How good are the first two thirds of Different Stages? I have the deluxe AFTK boxset that includes the entire 1978 show from which the last third of Different Stages is comprised, and I've read that the highlights from that show are the real big attraction of Different Stages... but I'm wondering about the other tracks, from the 90s tours. How great are those? I know I'd like to have a version of Bravado live for sure, but I'm not sure about the rest.

The majority of disks one and two are taken from one show - 14th June 1997 Chicago.

Personally I am not a big fan of chopping and changing sources to make a complete show so I prefer for the bootleg of this show, O'Chicago.

As 90's shows go, it is a good one. A complete version of 2112 which is nice.

But if it's an official release you want then Different Stages contains a reasonable representation of 90's live Rush albeit not in a complete single source.

Oh! I forgot ... The version of Bravado is from The Spectrum Philadelphia 30th April 1994. The soundboard bootleg from the previous night's show at same venue is fantastic!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

The majority of disks one and two are taken from one show - 14th June 1997 Chicago.

Personally I am not a big fan of chopping and changing sources to make a complete show so I prefer for the bootleg of this show, O'Chicago.

But if it's an official release you want then Different Stages contains a reasonable representation of 90's live Rush albeit not in a complete single source.

Oh! I forgot ... The version of Bravado is from The Spectrum Philadelphia 30th April 1994. The soundboard bootleg from the previous night's show at same venue is fantastic!

I've never gotten into boots, though maybe I will someday.

• Like 1

It's fine, yeah. It sounds good, but maybe lacks some of the "immediacy" of great live albums. It's really a question of how you feel about the era it covers, although as Zepphead pointed out, it does have the complete "2112." I like it, but it probably gets played the least of any of the live albums (except for some of the later cash grabs like Working Men). Not essential, but enjoyable.
  • Like 2

There are some great sounding soundboard recordings out there. I try to keep a selection of shows from each of the tours although some of the real early stuff can be a bit rough.

Best checking out the quality/rating of a particular show before downloading it.

The great thing nowadays is that we are actively encouraged NOT to pay for bootlegs - it's music by the fans for the fans.

In the old days I remember shelling out big money for crappy sounding shows.

• Like 2

There are some great sounding soundboard recordings out there. I try to keep a selection of shows from each of the tours although some of the real early stuff can be a bit rough.

Best checking out the quality/rating of a particular show before downloading it.

The great thing nowadays is that we are actively encouraged NOT to pay for bootlegs - it's music by the fans for the fans.

Funnily enough I have all that money... :outtahere:

• Like 3

My opinion is that it's really, really, really long.

No, wait, that's a fact.

Kidding. I love it. The 1990s and early 2000s Rush sounded great live -- it was their peak as a live band -- and they had a bigger catalog to choose from.

• Like 1

Funnily enough I have all that money... :outtahere:

29745537.jpg
  • Like 2

I've got Rush's Different Stages (3 C.D.), and liked it a lot. I think it's been worthwhile to own with their other live c.ds, and albums.
  • Like 1

Top 4 live album for me. Sounds thick and the band is as tight as ever.

I was in the 6th row for the recording they took from the CP tour in Miami for Show Don’t Tell. And it is a bad ass live version for sure.

A great live album and I consider it essential in their live catalog.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

When DS came out , I thought it sounded just the way I heard the bad in Holmdel, NJ. Which was only a couple of shows before or after the recording in Chicago. I still feel that way about it. It's a nice memory.

Another nice memory is that the track listing of DS changed because of fan feedback. Analog and Bravado were added to the track list - after the initial announcement -.

I think what happened at the time was that a lot of fans asked online for live versions of those songs (myself included). Geddy heard them. This was still back in the days of AOL/Compuserv - and the early internet.

Need to dig around a little - I might have a screenshot of the original press release with Analog and Bravado not listed.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

When DS came out , I thought it sounded just the way I heard the bad in Holmdel, NJ. Which was only a couple of shows before or after the recording in Chicago. I still feel that way about it. It's a nice memory.

Another nice memory is that the track listing of DS changed because of fan feedback. Analog and Bravado were added to the track list - after the initial announcement -.

I think what happened at the time was that a lot of fans asked online for live versions of those songs (myself included). Geddy heard them. This was still back in the days of AOL/Compuserv - and the early internet.

Need to dig around a little - I might have a screenshot of the original press release with Analog and Bravado not listed.

I was fortunate enough to snag an advanced copy that summer and the songs that were missing on the advance were Show Don't Tell and The Analog Kid which were played on the Counterparts Tour. I remember that fans thought there was room on the CDs for more songs so in response to that Geddy decided to add a song to each CD from the previous tour.

• Like 1