Tokyo Olympics 2021...what are you watching?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 pjbear05

pjbear05

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5024 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:41 PM

Men's high jump, athletes from Italy and Qatar tied, miss all three attempts.  Official asks athelte from Qatar, who is reigning world champion, if he would agree to a jump off. Qatari turns it down, asking if both of them can get a gold.  Priceless, and nothing but class.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=GjSCT97GSsA

Edited by pjbear05, 01 August 2021 - 06:53 PM.

Sponsored Post

#62 Rhyta

Rhyta

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:54 PM

I am so proud of Mykayla Skinner who won a silver medal in the vault. She has been trying to get to compete in the Olympics since 2012.  She finished 4th for Rio 2016 an alternate and didn't get to compete. I have followed her as a member of the University of Utah Gymnastics team, winning the 2017 NCAA floor championship and 2018 vault title.  Skinner left school after her junior year to train for the Tokyo Olympics. She had to overcome Achilles tendinitis and a case of COVID that briefly hospitalized her during her training. Once again she qualified for an alternate to Tokyo.  It looked like she was not going to get to participate in the finals on the vault in Tokyo when she came in 11th.  Yet she got her chance when Simone Biles withdrew for health reasons.  Bravo Mykayla :clap:

These gals are strong athletes and watching them is amazing.  The Red Rocks (Utah gymnastic team) will have Kara Eaker (alternate) Grace McCallum and soon to be team mate Amalie Morgan of Great Britain, who won a Bronze in Tokyo too.  Way to go!! :ebert: :yay:

Edited by Rhyta, 01 August 2021 - 08:57 PM.

#63 Krystal

Krystal

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:42 AM

This is the same guy who said “Pressure is a privilege. Without pressure there is no professional sport, If you are aiming to be at the top of the game, you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments.”

#64 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9895 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean . concerts, ball games, bicycling.

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

Feeling bad for Simone Biles..  TOKYO -- After previously withdrawing from the all-around competition and three event finals, Simone Biles will be competing in Tuesday's balance beam final at the Olympic Games.   At first i was mad at her for withdrawing from all....but i have a better understanding now on what shes dealing with.   Hoping she does well on the balance beam !

#65 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:39 PM

Time to start the volleyball quarterfinals: Russia-Canada, Italy-Argentina, Brazil-Japan, Poland-France.  :popcorn:

#66 Malignant Narcissist

Malignant Narcissist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Rush! Music, Tennis, Football(soccer), Cooking, Origami, Juggling...

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:23 PM

I'm enjoying watching sports at the Olympics that I don't usually watch throughout the 'normal' non-Olympics year.
I typically watch soccer and tennis all year round partly because I play them (occasionally).

I've been particularly watching handball because it's interesting to watch (and yes, watching the ladies play it is easy on the eye - I'm sorry, female members of TRF for saying that) because I have no idea of the rules and it's more fun trying to figure it out without going and googling them.
Watching the Brit girl do her 360 thing was fun at the bmx competition.
Watched our Brit in the 100ms cramp up and false start...and then an Italian won! Good to see something different there.
Watching the gymnastics is always impressive - men and women.
Others watched briefly - triathlon, (horse) eventing(?), wrestling and more table tennis.
Ooh and some sailing but I wasn't really sure what was going on.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist, 02 August 2021 - 07:30 PM.

#67 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 93898 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:41 PM

You think sailing is hard to figure out, stay away from rowing.  I still haven't figured out that one.

#68 Malignant Narcissist

Malignant Narcissist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Rush! Music, Tennis, Football(soccer), Cooking, Origami, Juggling...

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:16 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 02 August 2021 - 07:41 PM, said:

You think sailing is hard to figure out, stay away from rowing.  I still haven't figured out that one.

Assuming no sarcasm ( :tongue:), I mean that once the boats are all out on the water in the middle of the race, it's difficult at a casual watch/glance to see who's in the lead and who's not without the commentary etc because they seem all spread out all over the place. Especially if you just tune in for a quick watch. Maybe there's a course as such but maybe I've haven't tuned in long enough to see it. I thought they sailed over quite a long distance.
It's a race or best-time event I presume having not paid attention to much to the details so yes, seeing them start and the one winning etc is easy enough to figure out (to me). It's all the faff in the middle.

#69 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Tin Cup

• Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:03 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 02 August 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

Time to start the volleyball quarterfinals: Russia-Canada, Italy-Argentina, Brazil-Japan, Poland-France.  :popcorn:

Too bad about the Poles! My default is to root against the French, so today I was Team Polska, but after the good start, it slipped away (again, apparently). Better luck at the World Championships!

#70 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:39 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 04 August 2021 - 07:03 AM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 02 August 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

Too bad about the Poles! My default is to root against the French, so today I was Team Polska, but after the good start, it slipped away (again, apparently). Better luck at the World Championships!
Yeah, they're a lot like Mexico at World Cups, advance at group stage level and then lose in the knockout stage. Good thing they medal in all the other competitions, especially World Championships ( gold in 2014 and 2018 )

#71 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:38 PM

Watching the 50km walk. I'm guessing Monsieur Diniz has a reality show back home. What a nut.  :crazy:

#72 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:44 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 05 August 2021 - 05:38 PM, said:

Watching the 50km walk. I'm guessing Monsieur Diniz has a reality show back home. What a nut.  :crazy:
Ah, he pulls out of the race. At least he got a lot of coverage.  :cool:

#73 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:22 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 05 August 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

Your winner, Dawid Tomala ( Sensible Party )

#74 pjbear05

pjbear05

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5024 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:38 AM

Does it seem especially appropriate that Japan, as home country, takes the gold in baseball and softball, both of which will not be contested in '24?

#75 pjbear05

pjbear05

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5024 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:42 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 05 August 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

After hearing what happened, he could have used a lot more coverage.  I understand Depends work well.

#76 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

The Sphere

• Members
  • 7539 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:16 PM

Of course watched the men's and women's basketball finals. At least I thought that was the men's hoops finals between the USA and France. Problem is that when I turned it on I could've sworn I was watching a Euro soccer match what with all the flopping the French were doing. Worst of all, the refs rewarded it on several occasions.

Maybe we could just make flopping a new Olympic sport.

#77 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 15061 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:56 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 08 August 2021 - 05:16 PM, said:

Of course watched the men's and women's basketball finals. At least I thought that was the men's hoops finals between the USA and France. Problem is that when I turned it on I could've sworn I was watching a Euro soccer match what with all the flopping the French were doing. Worst of all, the refs rewarded it on several occasions.

Maybe we could just make flopping a new Olympic sport.

Soccer players would probably sweep the medals.

#78 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6654 posts
  • Interests:Very few interests, but many passions

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:04 PM

Shame I can`t feel anything about the Olympics whilst it was on or now that it`s ended. I don`t think I`ve watched one intently ever since Zola Budd tripped up Mary Decker :codger:

#79 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30520 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 08 August 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Shame I can`t feel anything about the Olympics whilst it was on or now that it`s ended. I don`t think I`ve watched one intently ever since Zola Budd tripped up Mary Decker :codger:
Yeah, England vs India today was much more exciting.  ;)

#80 Derek19

Derek19

The Professor

• Members
  • 4179 posts
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:53 AM

For winning twenty-four medals, congratulations, to Canada, and their athletes.  Thank you, to all of the hard working athletes, who participated, and organizers for a successful 2020 Summer Tokyo, Japan Olympics.

Edited by Derek19, 09 August 2021 - 06:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users