Tokyo Olympics 2021...what are you watching?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 6463 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:31 PM

and the place just goes bananas...

https://twitter.com/...855163251118080

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Edited by librarian, 27 July 2021 - 05:32 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 Rhyta

Rhyta

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:44 PM

View Postblueschica, on 27 July 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

View PostNova Carmina, on 27 July 2021 - 11:33 AM, said:

Biles out for "mental health" reasons. I'll bet USA gymnasts 6 through 999 would have liked a shot. I wonder if she will be composed enough for the individual events.

I was wondering that too.  It's disappointing; I enjoy watching her.  I should have paid more attention to the Olympic qualifiers, I guess!  

It was awesome to see the swimmer from Alaska, Lydia Jacoby, win gold in the women's 100  breaststroke, unexpectedly.  Love when the underdog wins!
I loved the video of her high school watching the race, the screaming and jumping up and down was so fun to watch!  She trained in a 25 yard pool because Alaska is not known for swimming.  She just graduated high school this year.  :dweez:  OOPS...you posted the video already

Edited by Rhyta, 27 July 2021 - 11:46 PM.

#43 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14568 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:40 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 27 July 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 27 July 2021 - 12:29 AM, said:

View Postchemistry1973, on 26 July 2021 - 08:56 PM, said:

I thought the skateboarding was a bit silly. These are not the best in the world. Still - I respect the athletes making a go.

One major contender started skating three years ago. The event needs to grow I guess.

Nyjah Huston and Jagger Eaton and Yuto Horigome and Kelvin Hoefler might disagree with that, and those are just the one's I remember from the 2 times I've watched it. Top skateboarders.

I watched the womens event and they just kept falling off their boards. It was terrible honestly. I understand the skill required, but what athleticism is required? Does this even compare to swimming, or gymnastics?

Not much athleticism, but how much of that is involved with skeet shooting, or curling, or any of the many Olympic sports that people enjoy? Regardless of that, there is a lot of skill and practice to get to that level. I'd like to see Simone Biles be competitive in the Triathlon or do something as simple as a Fakie. Or Katie Ledecky shoot skeet and score many points.

#44 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14568 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:41 AM

View Postlibrarian, on 27 July 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

and the place just goes bananas...

https://twitter.com/...855163251118080

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

That was so awesome.

#45 Malignant Narcissist

Malignant Narcissist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Rush! Music, Tennis, Football(soccer), Cooking, Origami, Juggling...

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:20 PM

Only really caught the table tennis

#46 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2124 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 28 July 2021 - 12:40 AM, said:

I thought the skateboarding was a bit silly. These are not the best in the world. Still - I respect the athletes making a go.

One major contender started skating three years ago. The event needs to grow I guess.

Nyjah Huston and Jagger Eaton and Yuto Horigome and Kelvin Hoefler might disagree with that, and those are just the one's I remember from the 2 times I've watched it. Top skateboarders.

I watched the womens event and they just kept falling off their boards. It was terrible honestly. I understand the skill required, but what athleticism is required? Does this even compare to swimming, or gymnastics?

Not much athleticism, but how much of that is involved with skeet shooting, or curling, or any of the many Olympic sports that people enjoy? Regardless of that, there is a lot of skill and practice to get to that level. I'd like to see Simone Biles be competitive in the Triathlon or do something as simple as a Fakie. Or Katie Ledecky shoot skeet and score many points.

If Simone could LAND a fakie she would be elegible for the team. They could barely complete the course.

One dude had ear buds while competing.

Stupid.

#47 Derek19

Derek19

The Professor

• Members
  • 4117 posts
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

When the 2020 Summer Tokyo Olympics have been televised, and on t.v., I've mostly watched the Women's Canadian Softball team, and Women's Canadian Soccer team.  I've watched some of the other individual, and team event sports Canada has been involved in, too.

Edited by Derek19, 29 July 2021 - 12:28 PM.

#48 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6302 posts
  • Interests:Very few interests, but many passions

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

"Faster, Higher, Stronger" looks a little light these days. The IOC need some new adjectives for the recently-added disciplines. The old rule about it not being a sport if you can do it in your normal shoes doesn`t apply anymore :tsk:

Edited by IbanezJem, 29 July 2021 - 12:27 PM.

#49 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Tin Cup

• Members
  • 4009 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

The women's badminton quarterfinal between S. Korea and Japan was nuts. This is not the same game I played in my backyard as a child!

#50 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14568 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:33 PM

View Postchemistry1973, on 29 July 2021 - 11:34 AM, said:

If Simone could LAND a fakie she would be elegible for the team. They could barely complete the course.

Stupid.

There's no "landing" a fakie. Also, the only thing they need to hear is the sound signaling the end of their run and obviously the earbuds don't block that out. I'd love to be able to listen to music when I'm doing my job (and I bet you would too) but it wouldn't be very conducive to customer service.

#51 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14568 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:34 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 29 July 2021 - 12:31 PM, said:

The women's badminton quarterfinal between S. Korea and Japan was nuts. This is not the same game I played in my backyard as a child!

Meh. You can wear regular shoes and listen to music at the same time. Sport, my ass. :facepalm: ;)

#52 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:57 PM

As a Cardinal fan, you should be able to answer this...

While it may be a different game, are they playing it the right way?

#53 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2124 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 29 July 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

View Postchemistry1973, on 29 July 2021 - 11:34 AM, said:

Stupid.

There's no "landing" a fakie. Also, the only thing they need to hear is the sound signaling the end of their run and obviously the earbuds don't block that out. I'd love to be able to listen to music when I'm doing my job (and I bet you would too) but it wouldn't be very conducive to customer service.

Well fakie ollie is what I meant! Haven’t skated in 35 years!

#54 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Tin Cup

• Members
  • 4009 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:54 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 29 July 2021 - 01:57 PM, said:

Well, it's a pretty high bar, you know, but they did seem to have the proper je nais sais quoi, so yes, I'd say they're playing the right way -- without fans there, it's hard to know if they are also the best in badminton.

#55 Krystal

Krystal

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Van Halen, A7X, Walker, Supernatural, Talking Heads, Metallica, Henry Cavill, Heels

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:10 PM

I watched women's gymnastics and the men's 100m sprint.

#56 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 30 July 2021 - 06:54 AM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 29 July 2021 - 01:57 PM, said:

Well, it's a pretty high bar, you know, but they did seem to have the proper je nais sais quoi, so yes, I'd say they're playing the right way -- without fans there, it's hard to know if they are also the best in badminton.
Seems like all they would have to do is make the claim.  They're at the perfect place to do it...But where is Costas?

#57 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 30167 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:29 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 29 July 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

"Faster, Higher, Stronger" looks a little light these days. The IOC need some new adjectives for the recently-added disciplines. The old rule about it not being a sport if you can do it in your normal shoes doesn`t apply anymore :tsk:
I'm hoping checkers get added soon. We have a girl that could do some damage there. Shit, we need all the help we can get...one gold, one silver so far. :facepalm:

#58 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 14568 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:21 AM

Women's 100 metre final was the all Jamaica show as they took gold, silver, and bronze. Turkish 22 year old won the individual gold in Archery. Also watched some women's badminton and men's water polo (no horses seen).

#59 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:45 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 25 July 2021 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'd be more into these Olympics if I wasn't sleeping during most of the events. It seems all the stuff I'm interested in takes place around 2AM.  :banghead:
I've watched almost exclusively on YouTube, which has been great.

#60 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:49 AM

Not much athleticism...
Maybe not in terms of strength, but plenty in terms of balance, dexterity, concentration, self-control, precision of execution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users