Jump to content


Tokyo Olympics 2021...what are you watching?


  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Tin Cup

  • Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:52 PM

I'm watching all of it! Or whatever comes on next. Soccer, softball, swimming, track, triathlon, I'm just fascinated by what the human body can do. It's all amazing in its own right.

Having said that, skateboarding?

Sponsored Post

#22 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    Vapor Trail

  • Members *
  • 15061 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:24 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 25 July 2021 - 09:52 PM, said:

I'm watching all of it! Or whatever comes on next. Soccer, softball, swimming, track, triathlon, I'm just fascinated by what the human body can do. It's all amazing in its own right.

Having said that, skateboarding?

It's new this year.

#23 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 30522 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 25 July 2021 - 09:52 PM, said:

I'm watching all of it! Or whatever comes on next. Soccer, softball, swimming, track, triathlon, I'm just fascinated by what the human body can do. It's all amazing in its own right.

Having said that, skateboarding?
Breakdancing in 2024.  :wacko:

#24 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 30522 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:55 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 25 July 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

Watching USA vs Russia in volleyball. Americans will have a tough time doing any damage in this tournament without Russel and the other Sander. Hoping to stay awake long enough to see Poland vs Italy coming up later.
Russia 3 USA 1 ----- Poland 3 Italy 0

#25 Laurabw

Laurabw

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1508 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:nj
  • Interests:golf, hockey, skiing, ballet, Adult School of Rock, Pilates, indoor climbing, community theater

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

swimming, gymnastics, golf, equestrian, the sport climbing when it starts, the rowing, the softball, the wrestling.

#26 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 7539 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

A lot of stuff but so far have really focused on women's softball. Fantastic sport.

#27 Leanne

Leanne

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2425 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:18 PM

I watch as much of the Olympics as I can, I love it! Right now I'm watching diving.

#28 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 30522 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

View PostLeanne, on 26 July 2021 - 07:18 PM, said:

I watch as much of the Olympics as I can, I love it! Right now I'm watching diving.
So, it's soccer, is it?  :wub:

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2150 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

I thought the skateboarding was a bit silly. These are not the best in the world. Still - I respect the athletes making a go.

One major contender started skating three years ago. The event needs to grow I guess.

#30 Steevo

Steevo

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 13365 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:50 PM

Skating and surfing pretty much.

#31 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    Vapor Trail

  • Members *
  • 15061 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:29 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 26 July 2021 - 08:56 PM, said:

I thought the skateboarding was a bit silly. These are not the best in the world. Still - I respect the athletes making a go.

One major contender started skating three years ago. The event needs to grow I guess.

Nyjah Huston and Jagger Eaton and Yuto Horigome and Kelvin Hoefler might disagree with that, and those are just the one's I remember from the 2 times I've watched it. Top skateboarders.

#32 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Tin Cup

  • Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:10 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 26 July 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostLeanne, on 26 July 2021 - 07:18 PM, said:

I watch as much of the Olympics as I can, I love it! Right now I'm watching diving.
So, it's soccer, is it?  :wub:

Boo! boo!

#33 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Tin Cup

  • Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 26 July 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

A lot of stuff but so far have really focused on women's softball. Fantastic sport.

I'm watching the gold medal match now. Tense.

Given the avarice, cupidity, and corruption of the IOC is boundless, isn't it weird that softball hasn't been an event for two cycles, but skateboarding now is? And breakdancing soon? Is softball that limited in its global appeal?

#34 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2150 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 27 July 2021 - 12:29 AM, said:

View Postchemistry1973, on 26 July 2021 - 08:56 PM, said:

I thought the skateboarding was a bit silly. These are not the best in the world. Still - I respect the athletes making a go.

One major contender started skating three years ago. The event needs to grow I guess.

Nyjah Huston and Jagger Eaton and Yuto Horigome and Kelvin Hoefler might disagree with that, and those are just the one's I remember from the 2 times I've watched it. Top skateboarders.

I watched the womens event and they just kept falling off their boards. It was terrible honestly. I understand the skill required, but what athleticism is required? Does this even compare to swimming, or gymnastics?

#35 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Tin Cup

  • Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:53 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 27 July 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

I understand the skill required, but what athleticism is required? Does this even compare to swimming, or gymnastics?

(Psst! no, not really . . . )

#36 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:31 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 27 July 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 26 July 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

A lot of stuff but so far have really focused on women's softball. Fantastic sport.

I'm watching the gold medal match now. Tense.

Given the avarice, cupidity, and corruption of the IOC is boundless, isn't it weird that softball hasn't been an event for two cycles, but skateboarding now is? And breakdancing soon? Is softball that limited in its global appeal?
Apparently it will not be back at Paris in '24.  Possible for L.A. In '28, or Brisbane in '32.

#37 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Tin Cup

  • Members
  • 4091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:33 AM

Biles out for "mental health" reasons. I'll bet USA gymnasts 6 through 999 would have liked a shot. I wonder if she will be composed enough for the individual events.

#38 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 11946 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 27 July 2021 - 11:33 AM, said:

Biles out for "mental health" reasons. I'll bet USA gymnasts 6 through 999 would have liked a shot. I wonder if she will be composed enough for the individual events.

I was wondering that too.  It's disappointing; I enjoy watching her.  I should have paid more attention to the Olympic qualifiers, I guess!  

It was awesome to see the swimmer from Alaska, Lydia Jacoby, win gold in the women's 100  breaststroke, unexpectedly.  Love when the underdog wins!

#39 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6656 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bonchester Bridge, Scotland
  • Interests:Very few interests, but many passions

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:33 PM

Nice to see Andy Murray playing, albeit his singles days are probably over.

Feel sorry for Biles. It`s incredible that this doesn`t happen more often across the sporting world and I`m guessing that now it`s seen as a permitted action, the gates are open - without the weight of recrimination and anger that would have always been the case from national bodies - for mental health/stress/anxiety withdrawals?

#40 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2150 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 27 July 2021 - 02:33 PM, said:

Nice to see Andy Murray playing, albeit his singles days are probably over.

Feel sorry for Biles. It`s incredible that this doesn`t happen more often across the sporting world and I`m guessing that now it`s seen as a permitted action, the gates are open - without the weight of recrimination and anger that would have always been the case from national bodies - for mental health/stress/anxiety withdrawals?

It’s all about what the impact on marketing is. Can’t piss off the consumers and license holders.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users