Geddy Auctioned Six Guitars From His Collection

blueschica

I thought this was new but it's not . . . :facepalm:

yfabKJyl.pngredTVZKl.png

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Well, I thought this was an upcoming thing, and Rush Fan Forever was nice enough to point out that this was two years ago! So, this is an old story . . .sorry . . maybe I will take it down later tonight, although RFF's follow up on the guitars is interesting.

From Guitar.com-

"Geddy Lee of Rush has put up six guitars from his private collection – including a ’59 Burst – up for auction.

The sale of the prog rockers’ axes is organised by Mecum Auctions, a vintage car and motorcycle auction company that will make its foray into guitars next month. Lee’s guitars will be auctioned alongside instruments previously owned by Carlos Santana and Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen.

Leading the six instruments Lee has put up for sale is a special-edition 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard (seen above). The guitar is “in stunning original condition, save for a single refret”, Mecum’s website notes, and will come in its original case.

Four other Gibsons are also on the block: A 1960 ES-345 – with a current bid of $5,000 at press time – a 1960 ES-355, a 1965 ES-335 and a 1967 Flying V. A 1955 Fender Stratocaster wraps up Lee’s collection of axes going under the hammer.

Mecum Presents: Guitar Search by Domino will take place in Las Vegas from 10 to 12 October. More info about the auction at mecum.com.

Edited by blueschica

It says Las Vegas 2019 Oct 10-12

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick bought Geddy's 1959 Gibson Les Paul as noted here.

As well, Nielsen was interviewed recently by Guitar Player magazine and mentions the guitar.

... back in January 2020, I actually won Geddy Lee's former 1959 Les Paul Standard at a Mecum auction in Florida. I'd known about the guitar for a long time and I was semi-chasing it, because the 1959 Les Paul that my Rick Nielsen "Collector's Choice" Gibson Custom Historic model was based on was also a guitar I got in Canada, around 1980. I sort of forgot all about this particular guitar until it resurfaced with Geddy. The auction was January 10, and right as the gavel went up, the same day and same hour - the same minute basically - was when Neil Peart died. I didn't want to seem like a ghoul, so I didn't tell anyone immediately that I had the guitar. Eventually word got out, and the guitar dealer Drew Berlin offered me twice what I paid for it. And when Steven Tyler saw that I had the guitar, he offered me even more money for it. [Did you take Steven's offer?] Nope! ...

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

As well, Nielsen was interviewed recently by Guitar Player magazine and mentions the guitar.

... back in January 2020, I actually won Geddy Lee's former 1959 Les Paul Standard at a Mecum auction in Florida. I'd known about the guitar for a long time and I was semi-chasing it, because the 1959 Les Paul that my Rick Nielsen "Collector's Choice" Gibson Custom Historic model was based on was also a guitar I got in Canada, around 1980. I sort of forgot all about this particular guitar until it resurfaced with Geddy. The auction was January 10, and right as the gavel went up, the same day and same hour - the same minute basically - was when Neil Peart died. I didn't want to seem like a ghoul, so I didn't tell anyone immediately that I had the guitar. Eventually word got out, and the guitar dealer Drew Berlin offered me twice what I paid for it. And when Steven Tyler saw that I had the guitar, he offered me even more money for it. [Did you take Steven's offer?] Nope! ...

Thank you for the heads up! I didn't notice the date! :facepalm: :facepalm:

What does Tyler want it for? He can't play a lick!

• Like 1

Maybe Steven Tyler was going to gift it to Joe Perry.

Joe Perry owns a 1959 Gibson Les Paul, which he sold but was later returned.

Joe Perry, Eric Johnson ("Cliffs of Dover" fame), and Slash are part of this journey of the guitar.

Check out the story about it below. You'll notice how Cheap Trick is mentioned again indirectly.

How Slash Reunited Joe Perry with a Prized '59 Les Paul

Edited by RushFanForever

Joe Perry, Eric Johnson ("Cliffs of Dover" fame), and Slash are part of this journey of the guitar.

Check out the story about it below. You'll notice how Cheap Trick is mentioned again indirectly.

Well if Perry wanted it that bad for years, and then finally got it as a 50th birthday present, how did Geddy Lee get it? And why would he want it, he's not even a guitarist and I don't think he's a big Aerosmith fan either.

Well if Perry wanted it that bad for years, and then finally got it as a 50th birthday present, how did Geddy Lee get it? And why would he want it, he's not even a guitarist and I don't think he's a big Aerosmith fan either.

And how did Rick get involved? Was he competing with Perry for the guitar since the 80's? Does Perry still want it? Why don't they just get another? In fact Rick has more guitars than Guitar Center by now I bet.

Edited by treeduck

Just seems funny looking back that Perry had to sell his Les Paul....it was the early 80's well into their career they must've of saved a few bucks ;)

Regarding Rick Nielsen.....must be nice to throw around 200k...damn!.....I mean the guy has more vintage guitars than any one person

could play in a lifetime....he was like a kid in a candy store when he won it

Just seems funny looking back that Perry had to sell his Les Paul....it was the early 80's well into their career they must've of saved a few bucks ;)

Regarding Rick Nielsen.....must be nice to throw around 200k...damn!.....I mean the guy has more vintage guitars than any one person

could play in a lifetime....he was like a kid in a candy store when he won it

As Joe said in the clip with Conan O'Brien, he had left Aerosmith and needed the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnl3HA8a848

I like Joe Bonamassa's interview with Rick Nielsen - they're both massive instrument collectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyMWkcr5-8

From Louder.

Thinking Out Loud: Rick Nielsen

...But it’s never been about fame or money for me. I’m a musician, so I’m supposed to be poor. I worked hard when we were struggling along and I’ve worked hard since we’ve done well.

Edited by RushFanForever