Beatles Get Back documentary by Peter Jackson now NOT in theaters

So it's going to be a 6 hour "mini-series" shown over Thanksgiving weekend on Disney+ rather than a tight, 2 hour movie shown in theaters as was originally planned. To say I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the year 2021. I have no intention of paying Disney Inc. to watch this and if Jackson received a butt ton of cash to sell the rights to Disney and stretch it out to 6 hours to hell with his greed. That's my guess of course.

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/beatles/get-back-documentary-disney-plus/

• Like 4

It better not be on Premier either which is reserved for the theatrical movies like Black Widow and Cruella. It was supposed to be on Hulu since 20th Century Studios owns it. It should have just stayed there especially Hulu is a little cheaper monthly.

Curse Disney, those stupid gits.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

It would have been so much better in the theaters, this stinks. :boo hiss: Thought you were better than this Jackson... :16ton:

Sounds like the jingle jangle of cash-in proved too much. What a wasted opportunity. Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

It would have been so much better in the theaters, this stinks. :boo hiss: Thought you were better than this Jackson... :16ton:

Have you seen Bad Taste? He`s really not better than this :tsk:
  • Like 2

Have you seen Bad Taste? He`s really not better than this :tsk:

Nope haven't seen it, guess it wasn't good. After LOTR and the Hobbit, I had heard he had bought rights to Temeraire and thought oh boy he could do dragons really well but perhaps not, haven't heard anymore about it for a long time.

I can't imagine a 6 hour mini series on the recording of the Get Back fiasco. I was so looking forward to a nice 90 minute movie celebrating the positivity of the Beatles' music. OVER KILL.
  • Like 1

I can't imagine a 6 hour mini series on the recording of the Get Back fiasco. I was so looking forward to a nice 90 minute movie celebrating the positivity of the Beatles' music. OVER KILL.

100% agree with your entire post.

I read a long article on this and it actually turns out much more positive than anyone remembers including Paul McCartney. Even the ex Beatles began to believe all of the stories of disfunction, but apparently there was much more levity during the process.
  • Like 2

I read a long article on this and it actually turns out much more positive than anyone remembers including Paul McCartney. Even the ex Beatles began to believe all of the stories of disfunction, but apparently there was much more levity during the process.

I've read the same thing and as a result I was really looking forward to the movie.

SIGH

6 hours is more content and the subscription is $15/month (?) which is cheaper than most quality theaters (and you get to press pause to pee). I'm in the minority of this thread in thinking the disappearance of movie theaters in general won't affect me one bit. Certainly in this case moving it to a streaming service is providing all of us more footage and details.
  • Like 1

I understand people's frustrations... but...

I know for myself, if I was watching an hour and a half film about those sessions, I would be thinking about the fact that THIS is it - no one is going to have the access/resources to ever work with this footage again - and that there is SO MUCH sitting there that we're never ever going to see. To me, a 6 hour mini series about it seems just right.

This is not to say it isn't motivated by greed. I do not have Disney Plus and will not be getting it...but knowing that thing is out there in 6 hour form means at some point along the line I'll end up seeing it.

• Like 2

On the streaming thing...... I've dropped cable - 2 months ago, and went full in with a few services. Costs less each month, and I feel like I've got slightly more variety of choices. It works , here, because our internet service is good.

40 bucks for a FireTV stick was the only hardware investment. And that's already been paid for with the savings over the last 2 months.

Why did i do it? For the content. Paying for Disney+ (Star Wars), and Paramount+ (Star Trek), on top of traditional cable doesn't make sense. Evaluating, I found that I could get pretty much the same level of service (old school 'cable' channels (Discovery, History, Smithsonian, Weather as examples) ) plus some of the new services for less. So I pulled the plug, so to speak.

YMMV.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

On the streaming thing...... I've dropped cable - 2 months ago, and went full in with a few services. Costs less each month, and I feel like I've got slightly more variety of choices. It works , here, because our internet service is good.

40 bucks for a FireTV stick was the only hardware investment. And that's already been paid for with the savings over the last 2 months.

Why did i do it? For the content. Paying for Disney+ (Star Wars), and Paramount+ (Star Trek), on top of traditional cable doesn't make sense. Evaluating, I found that I could get pretty much the same level of service (old school 'cable' channels (Discovery, History, Smithsonian, Weather as examples) ) plus some of the new services for less. So I pulled the plug, so to speak.

YMMV.

We cut the cable 10 years ago and haven't looked back. Unfortunately trends in recent years has been to nickel and dime, so the cost/benefit is slowly diminishing.

• Like 1

I understand people's frustrations... but...

I know for myself, if I was watching an hour and a half film about those sessions, I would be thinking about the fact that THIS is it - no one is going to have the access/resources to ever work with this footage again - and that there is SO MUCH sitting there that we're never ever going to see. To me, a 6 hour mini series about it seems just right.

This is not to say it isn't motivated by greed. I do not have Disney Plus and will not be getting it...but knowing that thing is out there in 6 hour form means at some point along the line I'll end up seeing it.

Wish there was a way ALL of the footage would be released at some point but that is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

I've watched the first two parts and I'm loving it. Parts are monotonous but there's a lot of great information and footage.

I'm not saying more because you should see it if you appreciate The Beatles.

• Like 4