POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?

Texas King

POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?

• Zeppelin: LZ I, LZ II, LZ III, LZ IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
    • Rush: Rush, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres

Wonder what Zepphead's going to say? (Or rather, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to say)

Just arrived on the thread!! As much as I love Rush, Zeppelin take the vote.

To be honest, in my opinion these Zeppelin albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

For me pretty predictable. Sorry!!

If I may paraphrase - to be honest, in my opinion Van Halen`s albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

Led Zap, Black Sabbath (see earlier quote) and Van Halen all created brilliant and influential albums. As did Rush.

I know only Led Zep 1 to 4 and I know 2 and 4 are immense. I have probably heard the later albums briefly. I even have Physical Graffiti on vinyl but that's stored away and wasn't played too much for whatever reason.

I love Led Zep 1 too and 3 is ok but not quite in the same league as the others.

Can't really compare with Rush though because even though Led Zep influenced them, Rush moved away from this into more progressive waters via Yes etc.

I wasn't going to vote but thinking about, Led Zep basically hit the ground running via Jimmy Page's groundwork (I believe) and being an accomplished session guitarist whereas Rush peaked later, many would argue (or maybe were developing would be a more appropriate phrase here). So Rush's curve of development was a bit different to LZ's. Led had a steep incline up at the beginning and Rush were steadily rising.

I love all the Rush albums but 2112 onwards were where things were getting really interesting but Led had hit their peak from 2 onwards and didn't come down until post-these 6 albums (maybe Coda but I'm not overly-familiar with the later ones).

So Led Zep trump Rush because the development of both bands was different.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 1

Wonder what Zepphead's going to say? (Or rather, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to say)

To be honest, in my opinion these Zeppelin albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

If I may paraphrase - to be honest, in my opinion Van Halen`s albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

hehehe ... not even close!

I have to agree although I like Van Halen quite a lot. But I think many rock fans tend to overrate their classic (Roth-era) discography.

I'd say that Van Halen made two great albums: the debut and Fair Warning, two very good but not great: VH II and Women and Children First, I find 1984 to be average at best and Diver Down below average.

These bands have a superior string of first 6 abums than Van Halen:

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 3

I have to agree although I like Van Halen quite a lot. But I think many rock fans tend to overrate their classic (Roth-era) discography.

I'd say that Van Halen made two great albums: the debut and Fair Warning, two very good but not great: VH II and Women and Children First, I find 1984 to be average at best and Diver Down below average.

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

I have two bands that I consider their early output to be above everyone else; VH and the one this forum is dedicated to (although I`m kind of discounting the debut). Early Zep just didn`t work for me. III, HotH and In Through The Out Door are my go-to Zep records. I know that`s unusual. As for Sabbath, I`d say pretty parallel to VH in terms of hitting the ground running and staying on form, but as my musical hero is Eddie... well, nobody else had him.
  • Like 1

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

I’m liking this post for acknowledging Queen to have one of those classic first 6 album runs, though I seem to be more of a fan of some of those Van Halen albums than TK.

• Like 2

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

I would add Steely Dan too.

• Like 1

Zeppelin's studio records are all masterpieces - even Presence and ITTOD - not equal but all great in their own way. They didn't need any ramp up time like Rush did, sure I like Rush better but hard to touch the small number but amazing studio albums of LZ - had they continued for a couple of decades more the greatness would most certainly faded. The phrase "die young and leave a beautiful corpse" applies to the LZ catalogue.

Live in concert it was a case of diminishing returns. Come October of 1972 they had peaked and started to deteriorate slowly but steadily.

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

Yes! Good call

• Like 2

Sabbath's first 6 are awfully close my friend.

"Black Sabbath is Led Zeppelin's ugly cousin." - Dave Grohl

• Like 4

Of the two, Led Zeppelin was the superior band. Superior songs, superior singer, superior drummer, superior bassist.

But Van Halen had a guitar player who was extraordinary. Nobody can match him, not Alex, not Page, not SRV, nobody. That's why they'll be remembered.

• Like 1

Of the two, Led Zeppelin was the superior band. Superior songs, superior singer, superior drummer, superior bassist.

But Van Halen had a guitar player who was extraordinary. Nobody can match him, not Alex, not Page, not SRV, nobody. That's why they'll be remembered.

I'd say Ritchie Blackmore definitely can match him.

• Like 2

There are no albums out there by anyone better than COS 2112 AFTK or Hemispheres, quite a few of equal standard none better, although some have advantages in their differences

Zep a totally different kind of music can't be compared really, is like comparing rush with the Human League or something

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

That is because you are very smart.

• Like 2

Texas King, said: I have to agree although I like Van Halen quite a lot. But I think many rock fans tend to overrate their classic (Roth-era) discography.

I'd say that Van Halen made two great albums: I and Fair Warning, two very good, but not great: II and Women and Children First, I find 1984 to be average at best, and Diver Down below average.

These bands have a superior string of first six albums, than Van Halen:

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Queen

If "Iron Maiden" is going to be thought of, and be mentioned, then "Judas Priest" should be thought of, and mentioned, too, because they released six string, and in a row of great, and classic c.ds, and albums. Just like if it was vice versa. As in, if one gets mentioned, then the other one should be.

Edited by Derek19

I appreciate that Zep heavily influenced Rush

( especially on the first 3 Rush albums anyway ) and I personally highly rate LZ : II & IV ( the other Zep albums I quite like

but rarely listen to them all the way through ) so my vote goes to my favourite band off all time , RUSH !