POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?

Texas King

POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: First 6 Led Zeppelin vs. first 6 Rush albums?

• Zeppelin: LZ I, LZ II, LZ III, LZ IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
    • Rush: Rush, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres

I know in a general LZ vs. Rush poll Rush was an easy winner.

But let's see which group of 6 albums would win here?

In my book:

1) LZ I >>>>>> Rush

2) LZ II >>> Fly by Night

3) LZ III >> Caress of Steel

4) ZOSO >> 2112

5) HOTH < A Farewell to Kings

6) Hemispheres = Physical Graffiti

So Zep get my vote, hands down.

What would you say?

• Like 1

I`ll compare the way you have.

Rush > LZ1

FBN > LZ2

CoS = LZ3

2112 = LZ4

AFTK < HOTH

Hemispheres > Physical Graffiti

I guess my preference for late Zep and indifference towards AFTK skew these answers a little.

Edited by IbanezJem

Yeah, Rush without the PW through Power Windows run is just weakened enough to finish behind the mighty Zeppelin.

LZ I > Rush

LZ II > FBN

LZ III > CoS

LZ IV > 2112

HotH < AFTK

PG = Hemispheres (So there's little of Hemispheres, but it's all great, and so much of Physical Graffiti, with some forgettable moments)

LZI vs. Rush

I’m not head over heels for either of them, but LZI has a bit more going on, I’d go with that.

LZII vs. FBN

LZ II is one of my favorite Zep records, FBN falls pretty far down my Rush list. An enjoyable listen, but not consistent enough to match Zeppelin hitting their stride.

LZIII vs. CoS

Caress succeeds doubly in it’s ambition and it’s production where it may fail in its execution at times. LZIII is also experimental, but not in a way that I love. Some songs are classics, some are just good, and the closer is just passable. CoS barely has a dud with ITIGB, but Alex saves it as he saves everything. CoS for me.

Zoso vs. 2112

This one isn’t fair, because 2112 would beat anything else by Zeppelin handily on strength of the title track, but Zoso happens to be Zep’s crowning achievement. Even Four Sticks, which I used to think was filler, has become another highlight for me. Zeppelin manage to capture something raw and primeval across these 8 tracks which they would only manage in limited bursts elsewhere. Maybe it’s the Tolkien influence, maybe the mansion where they recorded, probably it has something to do with all of the pot and Page’s honed powers as a producer. Whatever it is, Zoso narrowly edges out 2112, which rests on it’s laurels for a song or 2 on side 2.

HotH vs. AFTK

See I’d rather put AFTK against Zoso and HotH against 2112, those would both be close to ties. While I love HotH, and consider it one of Zep’s best albums, it does have a few less than remarkable moments (The Crunge and Dancing Days, both of which are enjoyable but not excellent). AFTK is my favorite Rush album, something magical and powerful flowing through each of it’s 6 tracks (yes, even Madrigal, bite me). Rush take the artistic confidence they learned on 2112 and apply it to every idea they can think of, from lilting folk balladry, to classically inspired guitar passages, to funky grooves in odd time signatures, to ethereal atmospherics, to ominous sci fi narrations, to the heaviest riffs of 1977 this side of Judas Priest. AFTK takes the cake, and lops off Page’s crown.

PG vs. Hems

Interesting. One is maybe too long, the other is maybe too short. If they could meet in the middle I might love both a little more. PG inarguably houses many of Zeppelin’a best moments, from the unimpeachable Kashmir to the unstoppable In My Time Of Dying. However, even at just four songs, not even being one of my favorite Rush albums, Hems puts up a fight. Cygnus Book II isn’t the equal of it’s predecessor, but it’s a remarkable right and catchy composition, and sits high in the ranking of the great prog side long epics, beating out all four (still great) songs on Yes’ TFTO. On side two, we have Circumstances, the clearest evidence in years that Rush didn’t need 10 minutes to be progressive and to rock. We also have The Trees, often maligned for it’s parable style lyrics, Alex’s gorgeous acoustic intro gets forgotten about, as well as Geddy’s practically classical bass lines, Neil’s perfect percussion, and a midsection of synths and woodblocks that’s to die for. Not to mention Geddy’s probably the only vocalist in rock who could make trees sound so threatening. Then we have La Villa Strangiato, an instrumental so nice I felt like spelling out its whole name. I love lots of songs on PG, but ultimately it lacks the consistency of Hemispheres, and that’s what tips the scales for me.

So I’ve got three LZ winners, and three Rush winners. I will say, the early Zeppelin victories were by larger margins than any of the Rush victories, but seeing as Rush is my favorite band overall, I’m gonna have to go with them.

• Like 1

Wonder what Zepphead's going to say? (Or rather, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to say)

Just arrived on the thread!! As much as I love Rush, Zeppelin take the vote.

To be honest, in my opinion these Zeppelin albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

For me pretty predictable. Sorry!!

• Like 2

Never been much of a LZ fan tbh.....like The Beatles, they just don't do it for me though I recognise their talent and influence.........I think Rush are easy winners here overall, the lack of tedious bump n' grind and meandering sloppiness count a lot with me.
  • Like 1

Wonder what Zepphead's going to say? (Or rather, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to say)

To be honest, in my opinion these Zeppelin albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

Sabbath's first 6 are awfully close my friend.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 4

If I may paraphrase - to be honest, in my opinion Van Halen`s albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.
  • Like 2

If I may paraphrase - to be honest, in my opinion Van Halen`s albums are the best first 6 than any other band who have ever existed.

Ditto.
  • Like 1

Ditto.

Can you imagine the embarrassment - I`ve only just noticed your name is _hi_water._ and not _hi_water_. My secret shame :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Led Zap, Black Sabbath (see earlier quote) and Van Halen all created brilliant and influential albums. As did Rush.

I know only Led Zep 1 to 4 and I know 2 and 4 are immense. I have probably heard the later albums briefly. I even have Physical Graffiti on vinyl but that's stored away and wasn't played too much for whatever reason.

I love Led Zep 1 too and 3 is ok but not quite in the same league as the others.

Can't really compare with Rush though because even though Led Zep influenced them, Rush moved away from this into more progressive waters via Yes etc.

• Like 2

Ditto.

Can you imagine the embarrassment - I`ve only just noticed your name is _hi_water._ and not _hi_water_. My secret shame :facepalm:

Lol, that's okay
  • Like 1

My rankings:

LZ 1 destroys the Rush debut.

Fly By Night defeats LZ 2, but it was close.

LZ 3 readily beats Caress, but it's their best album.

2112 beats LZ 4, another close one, though.

A Farewell to Kings beats Houses of the Holy easily.

Hemispheres beats Physical Graffiti, again easily.

LZ made fine albums, but this is the Rush forum. Not surprising I lean toward Rush.

odd to stop at 6 albums, Zeppelin only have 2 more studio records and a third comprised of outtakes

Presence v PeW

In Through the Out Door v Moving Pictures

CODA v Signals

completes the comparison - Rush goes 3 and 0 on these records

• Like 1

odd to stop at 6 albums, Zeppelin only have 2 more studio records and a third comprised of outtakes

Presence v PeW

In Through the Out Door v Moving Pictures

CODA v Signals

completes the comparison - Rush goes 3 and 0 on these records

Yeah, perhaps not included because it's no contest by this point.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

I much prefer Rush over LZ any day of the week. Zeppelin were OK but I've always contended that most of their albums were poorly recorded and could've sounded a lot better with a legit producer behind the console instead of the band doing it all themselves

Sabbath's first 6 are awfully close my friend.

Indeed! I had forgotten about them!!

hehehe ... not even close!
  • Like 1