I'm getting old whether I like it or not...eye surgery

Rhyta

So I found out this week I am going to need cataract surgery. I have been expecting it since I knew I had it forming since 2017. It is very blurry and it was sobering how bad I did reading the eye chart. :eh:

I came home and starting reading up on what was ahead of me and got a bit freaked out. They will be operating while I am conscious, it worries me to think about whether I am going to be seeing them cutting around in there. They will give sedation to a point and it will keep your eye from blinking. Still makes me a bit scared.

Anyone gone through this or know someone who has? Just curious.

• Like 9

I worked in Ophthalmology until 2010, and know more than most, maybe. If anything, surgeries are safer and more effective now and they were 95% trouble free then, even on older more difficult eyes. Look forward to the solution, don't worry about the process - it's a big thing for you but very routine for the surgeon.
  • Like 6

So I found out this week I am going to need cataract surgery. I have been expecting it since I knew I had it forming since 2017. It is very blurry and it was sobering how bad I did reading the eye chart. :eh:

I came home and starting reading up on what was ahead of me and got a bit freaked out. They will be operating while I am conscious, it worries me to think about whether I am going to be seeing them cutting around in there. They will give sedation to a point and it will keep your eye from blinking. Still makes me a bit scared.

Anyone gone through this or know someone who has? Just curious.

It's the most common surgery performed in the US (and maybe the world) and when it's done, you'll likely be surprised how much better you can see. I've had guys report they can see colors better and read street signs again.

• Like 5

I haven't had the surgery, but a few friends have had it and come through with flying colors. As fordgalaxy said, they could definitely see better afterward. We'll be with you! Better reading afterward :)
  • Like 7

I know my mom, who needed to get the procedure done recently, and one of my male friend's parents, who lived in Brampton/Bramalea, and lives in Milton, Ontario, needed to have their's done. The procedure is routine. Before my mom got the operation, and procedure done, she had a talk with the eye doctor, and nurse, who specializes in those types of procedures on what, and how it will be done, so my mom would feel at ease. My mom had prescription eye drops put in before, and after, too, and was feeling nervous because she didn't know what to expect. She needed to get both of her cataracts done, but it was one at a time, and now, she has said her eyes feel better.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

Rhyta...

...this procedure is rather routine these days.

I brought a friend to have it done a few years back.

The doctor told her it was so routine they should be doing it in a kiosk at the mall.

Of course, this does nothing to soothe the anxiety that comes along with any kind of procedure like this, etc.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers that you won’t be anxious.

I Peter 5:7 says...

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

Easier said than done at times.

Be brave, my friend.

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 7

Welcome to the old person club. Sucks but can't be changed.

I had the surgery in my right eye about 4 years ago. It formed as the result of a football injury my freshman year in high school in 1971. I can assure you if you are actually awake, you aren't conscious and will remember nothing. The worst part of the whole thing for me was not being allowed to drink coffee the morning of the surgery. I'm not kidding. My eyesight in that eye has improved greatly though it'll never be 20/20 because of other residual effects of the injury.

I wish you a smooth procedure and hope everything turns out well for you. Please let us know afterwards.........

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

Yes! Congenital cataracts runs in my family. My sister and I were born with it, my mum before us, my grandfather before her and his mother before him.

It's a bit of a story but in a nutshell:

Mum and sister had implants but this was years ago. They were under general anaesthetic.

Due to complications, I have only had the right one done, just last year. And yes, I was conscious throughout. You can't really see much. There's a really bright light shining on your face and they kept putting various drops in your eye so you get these weird visual effects like something out of a sixties music video.

I was there for about a hour because they had to do extra stuff. Your operation will be about 20 minutes.

I hope it goes well for you. :hug2:

• Like 4

Thanks so much everyone. I have since talked with my cousin and he told me a lot of things that will help me keep my anxiety level down. I know the end result will be worth it but I haven't had many surgeries so just a bit nervous.

I go in July 1st so don't have long to wait, will keep you posted although I may have to be off line for a few days. Said you shouldn't read or watch tv the first few days afterward, so it will be audio book time for me :D

Appreciate the support :ebert:

• Like 4

Thanks so much everyone. I have since talked with my cousin and he told me a lot of things that will help me keep my anxiety level down. I know the end result will be worth it but I haven't had many surgeries so just a bit nervous.

I go in July 1st so don't have long to wait, will keep you posted although I may have to be off line for a few days. Said you shouldn't read or watch tv the first few days afterward, so it will be audio book time for me :D

Appreciate the support :ebert:

Sending wishes for quick healing! Hopefully you can listen to the hockey finals and be able to see the last few games. :)

• Like 2

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow, Rhyta. I will pray to St. Lucy for you. She is the patroness of eye disorders. :)

I'm sure everything will be fine. Just do as they say afterward. Rest and don't use the eyes.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. It seems that we still had a session for measuring my eye so I get the right size lens. So that is what we did today and my actual surgery won't be until the 27th. Sorry for the windup and no show...yet it was good to have a bit more information and the assistant could answer any questions I had. Have to get special eye drops and start using them the week prior to the surgery, more prep than I realized. Bet the time will go by fast.
  • Like 4

Ok, thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. It seems that we still had a session for measuring my eye so I get the right size lens. So that is what we did today and my actual surgery won't be until the 27th. Sorry for the windup and no show...yet it was good to have a bit more information and the assistant could answer any questions I had. Have to get special eye drops and start using them the week prior to the surgery, more prep than I realized. Bet the time will go by fast.

Your eye surgery is the same day as my operation.

Here's praying for the best possible outcome for the both of us.

• Like 3

Your eye surgery is the same day as my operation.

Here's praying for the best possible outcome for the both of us.

I noticed that, we'll double team the Man upstairs so things go well for both of us. :)

• Like 3

Crap, I may need to join you a few years down the road. I had my eye examination today, which I missed last year as I was tied up by all the unplesantries involving Karen. The doctor noticed the beginning stages ofthe formation of cataracts in both eyes. "Nothing to worry about right now, but definitely keep up with your annual exams" he tells me. But can us old farts be so sure?

Rhyta, was this how things started out for you in 2017? TiA!

• Like 1

Crap, I may need to join you a few years down the road. I had my eye examination today, which I missed last year as I was tied up by all the unplesantries involving Karen. The doctor noticed the beginning stages ofthe formation of cataracts in both eyes. "Nothing to worry about right now, but definitely keep up with your annual exams" he tells me. But can us old farts be so sure?

We all get cataracts if we live long enough. Nothing to worry about unless you let it go too far and try to drive when you can't see very well.

• Like 3

Yeah pretty much, went for an exam for new glasses and the Optometrist told me I had a cataract forming on the left eye. Wasn't really a problem for a few more years but it has been getting worse over the months and these last two have been bad. Feel like I have something in my eye or my glasses are dirty but when I clean them, there's still a cloudy film. Reading is harder so I have been using my Nook so I can increase the size of the text. That right there shows I"m old :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Rhyta, is your surgery still scheduled for the 27th?

Yes it is coming up next week. Saturday have to start putting the eye drops in four times a day. Yay :eyeroll:

But it will be worth it.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1