Neil's classic car collection set to go up for auction this August

Jag2112

Neil spent so much time collecting and taking care of those cars, only for them to be auctioned off upon his death.

Just like John Entwistle and his guitars.

When Geddy's time comes, I wonder what would happen with his bass and guitar collection.

And baseballs, and wine, etc.

I thought the '63 split window Corvette would be the one I'm most interested in but it only has a 327 in it. Pass.

In 63, you could only get a 327. Vettes didn’t get the big block until 65. The 63’s are highly desirable because of the rear split window. They only made that for one year. From a collecting perspective, the 1963 Corvette is the one you want.

I have an uncle who had a 63 with a 327.

He eventually sold it to a guy who would not leave him alone about it for 6 digits worth of money.

I do not recall a split window on it. Maybe it did have it though.

• Like 1

He eventually sold it to a guy who would not leave him alone about it for 6 digits worth of money.

Your Uncle's story is like two RUSH songs. 'Red Barchetta' and 'Leave That Thing Alone', whereas the other individual would not leave him alone.

1627308009[/url'>' post='4933951']
1626791019' post='4932259']
1624633793[/url'>' post='4924987']
1624632531' post='4924985']
1624631241[/url]' post='4924981']

Neil spent so much time collecting and taking care of those cars, only for them to be auctioned off upon his death.

When Geddy's time comes, I wonder what would happen with his bass and guitar collection.

I thought the '63 split window Corvette would be the one I'm most interested in but it only has a 327 in it. Pass.

In 63, you could only get a 327. Vettes didn’t get the big block until 65. The 63’s are highly desirable because of the rear split window. They only made that for one year. From a collecting perspective, the 1963 Corvette is the one you want.

1627308009[/url'>' post='4933951']
1626791019' post='4932259']
1624633793[/url'>' post='4924987']
1624632531' post='4924985']
1624631241[/url]' post='4924981']

If it was a 63 hard top, it had the split window. 63 hard tops with 4 speeds will easily fetch six figures. 63s with 4 speeds and the fuel injected 327 are worth crazy money.

63 Corvettes may be the only year where a hard top is worth more than a convertible.

Edited by ILSnwdog

Someone on FB threw this curve: "Neil had his silver surfers, by why were his (motor) bikes always red?" Any ideas, M8's?

In the book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Neil mentions that his first red BMW motorcycle was a Christmas present from his first wife Jackie in 1993.

Maybe it was happenstance that red was the chosen colour of the motorcycle and he just happened to like it.

Perhaps Neil thought of his motorcycles as like Red Barchetta's in a way?

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

If it was a 63 hard top, it had the split window. 63 hard tops with 4 speeds will easily fetch six figures. 63s with 4 speeds and the fuel injected 327 are worth crazy money.

63 Corvettes may be the only year where a hard top is worth more than a convertible.

From the crazy rumor file. Some 1963 had the split window modified by owners that didn't like it.

They were owned for his own enjoyment. He's no longer here to enjoy them and his family doesn't have the same use for them. No biggie.

I agree with this, completely. It is the cycle of material possessions in the wake of someone’s death.

And honestly I think it’s best that they be auctioned off, hopefully to people who will appreciate in particular that Neil used to own them.

I’m sure Neil would agree, though- the man’s things do not make the man. They are just things.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 7

Thanks! Interesting to see. I wonder why the Aston Martin didn't sell? He doesn't say if it didn't meet the reserve price or if something else happened??

We don't know. Gooding & Co doesn't release that information. So unless one were watching live they wouldn't know. I tried looking for a live broadcast I couldn't find one.

• Like 1

Thanks! Interesting to see. I wonder why the Aston Martin didn't sell? He doesn't say if it didn't meet the reserve price or if something else happened??

We don't know. Gooding & Co doesn't release that information. So unless one were watching live they wouldn't know. I tried looking for a live broadcast I couldn't find one.

According to Melody Maker, bids did not meet reserve.

https://melodymakermagazine.com/2021/08/17/neil-pearts-classic-car-collection-sells-for-3-9-million/

• Like 2

https://melodymakerm...or-3-9-million/

The Aston Martin did eventually sell according to here.

• Like 3

It's only speculation on my part, but my guess is an initial reserve was set, possibly at the $650K minimum estimate, and nobody wanted to pony up, trying to lowball the seller. A price was eventually settled upon after the car left the auction block. This happens unless an item is auctioned at "no reserve", like say, the automobiles at the Barrett-Jackson auctions.
  • Like 3

It's only speculation on my part, but my guess is an initial reserve was set, possibly at the $650K minimum estimate, and nobody wanted to pony up, trying to lowball the seller. A price was eventually settled upon after the car left the auction block. This happens unless an item is auctioned at "no reserve", like say, the automobiles at the Barrett-Jackson auctions.

Exactly.

• Like 1