Neil's classic car collection set to go up for auction this August

Jag2112

Neil spent so much time collecting and taking care of those cars, only for them to be auctioned off upon his death.

Just like John Entwistle and his guitars.

When Geddy's time comes, I wonder what would happen with his bass and guitar collection.

• Like 1

Neil spent so much time collecting and taking care of those cars, only for them to be auctioned off upon his death.

When Geddy's time comes, I wonder what would happen with his bass and guitar collection.

And baseballs, and wine, etc.

I thought the '63 split window Corvette would be the one I'm most interested in but it only has a 327 in it. Pass.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

I thought the '63 split window Corvette would be the one I'm most interested in but it only has a 327 in it. Pass.

OK, I will take it! :) :)

• Like 2

This feels vaguely depressing.

The end.

That's because it is depressing.

On the other hand, maybe part of the reason people collect valuables is so that it will add to the value of their estate when they leave this vale of tears?

What would Carrie do with his cars? Maybe they cost a lot for upkeep and storage.

And his daughter is still too young to drive.

• Like 1

Geddy's friend Daniel Richler (who collaborated on Big Beautiful Book of Bass) would bring up this quote from comedian Steven Wright.

“You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

This would also apply to an individual's possessions that stay behind when they pass on.

The widow/widower and/or next of kin won't necessarily have any use for the inherited possessions either.

On a side note, there's a blog post here, which comments on the quote.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

The man had taste, no one can argue that.

Indeed, and when you have the money that he obviously had, reliability isn't an issue.

Was thinking the same thing. I would trust that Aston Martin to get groceries, and our market's 1 mile away.

• Like 1

those cars we're loved for sure, and i hope they end up in caring hands once they're auctioned. it would be cool if part of the money was donated to the American Cancer society.
  • Like 1

i'm wondering if the cars that are going to auction are just a small sample of his whole collection? wish there was a video of Neil showing off his whole collection, and telling car stories.

The cars being auctioned comprise most of his 'collector' cars, but not all cars he owned. For instance, he had a Porsche 911 Speedster, 2001 BMW Z8 and a 2010 Aston Martin DBS.

Many people have heard the story of Carroll Shelby taping a $100 bill to the passenger-side visor of a 427 Cobra. He would tell the passenger, "If you can grab that bill once I floor this thing, you get to keep it." And of course, nobody could power their hands up to the visor with that monstrous acceleration.

I leave you with this curvaceous version of sex on wheels:

• Like 1

wish there was a video of Neil showing off his whole collection, and telling car stories.

The only car article that comes close to this is from Hagerty magazine published in February 2012.

Small Beginnings: Models fueled Rush drummer’s passion for cars

The only other option where Neil is discussing his cars are in his books and archived website posts.

Edited by RushFanForever

i'm wondering if the cars that are going to auction are just a small sample of his whole collection? wish there was a video of Neil showing off his whole collection, and telling car stories.

The cars being auctioned comprise most of his 'collector' cars, but not all cars he owned. For instance, he had a Porsche 911 Speedster, 2001 BMW Z8 and a 2010 Aston Martin DBS.

the cars that you just mentioned, i was familiar with as well. just wanted to see if anyone knew more about his whole collection.

wish there was a video of Neil showing off his whole collection, and telling car stories.

The only car article that comes close to this is from Hagerty magazine published in February 2012.

Small Beginnings: Models fueled Rush drummer’s passion for cars

The only other option where Neil is discussing his cars are in his books and archived website posts.

that's a great article.

In 63, you could only get a 327. Vettes didn’t get the big block until 65. The 63’s are highly desirable because of the rear split window. They only made that for one year. From a collecting perspective, the 1963 Corvette is the one you want.
  • Like 1

In 63, you could only get a 327. Vettes didn’t get the big block until 65. The 63’s are highly desirable because of the rear split window. They only made that for one year. From a collecting perspective, the 1963 Corvette is the one you want.

The ranking of Neil's collection from a guy who's taste is more Bandit Trans Am.

Where We Talk the Muscle Cars of the Malaise Era - Malaise Muscle Car

The ranking of Neil's collection from a guy who's taste is more Bandit Trans Am.

How you rank both Maseratis before the Lambo Maura is beyond me. The Miura was Lambos first “super car”.

How you rank both Maseratis before the Lambo Maura is beyond me. The Miura was Lambos first “super car”.

I made an edit to make my criteria more clear.

if i was wealthy enough to be able to afford one, I would also have something with a 427 in it. Someone famous once said, there's no substitute for cubic inches.

• Like 1