Soundcheck on Live105

Moonraker

In a day of large corperate control on the music business, it is a breath of fresh air to hear a program that still plays interesting music. Live105 in SF is an alternative station that plays a lot of the new and emerging acts coming out today as well as select alternative artists from the 80's and 90's. But where they really shine are on programs like soundcheck, which runs on Sundays from 8pm to 10pm. In these hours, they play new music that you've never heard about before as the premise. And that is exactly what they do for 2 hours. This show, hosted by Aaron Axelsen, has gotten San Francisco and the DJ considerable attention in the music business as a place for emerging music as of recently.

Tonight, they played these artists...

Danger Doom - Space Ho's

Editors - Blood

Death Cab for Cutie - Earth Angel

Nightmare of You - Why Am I Always Right?

Minipop - Fingerprints

Bloc Party - Two More Years

Alkaline Trio - Mercy Me

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth

Spoon - I Turn My Camera On

Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds

She Wants Revenge - I Don't Want to Fall in Love

Autolux - Here Comes Everybody

Why? - Crushed Bones

Joy Zipper - 1

Living Things - Bom Bom Bom

The Sounds - Tony the Beat

Youth Group - Forever Young

We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt

Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

Nada Surf - Always Love

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

The Shoreline - Dirty Devils

Wolf Parade - You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son

Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch

The Unseen - Paint It Black

U2 - I Will Follow

Sun Kil Moon - Ocean Breathes Salty

--

There were also quite a few songs that stuck out to me as well. "Fingerprints" by Minipop I liked, it was very somber with distorted guitars and soft moaning vocals. Minipop is a local band that recently won a battle of the bands to play a festival in Oakland a couple months ago. Also "2 More Years" by Bloc Party was really cool, that song was supposed to be on the b-side to some UK import, so it was interesting hearing new stuff from them not on thier album.

The She Wants Revenge song "I Don't Want to Fall in Love" is the new one from this band that the station is promoting pretty heavily. They are actually playing a number of upcoming shows with The Lovemakers and Every Move A Picture, probably the 2 fastest growing bands in San Francisco right now, mostly due to the exposure from this station and this show. Autolux was also especially cool to hear, they have been opening for NIN recently, though they havent come through the Bay Area yet (they will on 11/19), but I will be seeing them in December. They are supposed to be very good live, so that was wetting my appetite for thier show.

There was also a bit of a Rush reference in this show too. Aaron Axelsen was introducing the band Broken Social Scene as one of the best acts to come out of Canada since Rush or Bryan Adams, and was quite right about them. They definatly had this incredible sound to them that I cant wait to come through here. They also played the Arctic Monkeys as a way to promote thier Popscene show in November. Popscene is also owned and operated by Aaron, so every Thursday, there is always a new and emerging act playing there. Thier single is also apparently #1 in the UK right now according to him, is this correct Madra? The We Are Scientists track was also very good, I will be looking for them to come through town as well.

Anyway I thought I would share this little gem of a program that is very good at introducing new & good music. Sometimes you have to dig deep to find good new artists in todays musical climate, but this show is like a goldmine for good music. Check out Live 105's website for more information about soundcheck and other artists played.

Wicked! Very nice bands biggrin.gif San Fran is rad for music

Broken Social Scene is one of my favs. Although I can't seem to get into their last cd...Beehives. I just can't sit down and listen to it. But the rest of their stuff is wicked good. Bloc Party is another band that I LOVE lately. Into so many Brit bands lately it's funny. Wolf Parade is super good too!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 7 2005, 09:04 AM)
Wicked! Very nice bands biggrin.gif San Fran is rad for music

Broken Social Scene is one of my favs. Although I can't seem to get into their last cd...Beehives. I just can't sit down and listen to it. But the rest of their stuff is wicked good. Bloc Party is another band that I LOVE lately. Into so many Brit bands lately it's funny. Wolf Parade is super good too!

Yeah, Wolf Parade is really cool, they opened up for Arcade Fire at the Warfield show last month and are gonna be back in town in early January I think. I may have to hit thier show again as well, I remember really liking it.

I love bloc party....I was addicted to their CD back in Spetember....and my friend let me borrow his copy of Silent Alarm Remixed which is actually pretty cool. The bonus disc features an acoustic version of "plans" which has to be my favorite song by them. Get the remixed Banquet from the website for free, it's actually really cool.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 7 2005, 02:24 PM)
I love bloc party....I was addicted to their CD back in Spetember....and my friend let me borrow his copy of Silent Alarm Remixed which is actually pretty cool. The bonus disc features an acoustic version of "plans" which has to be my favorite song by them. Get the remixed Banquet from the website for free, it's actually really cool.

Nice! i'll have to look for that biggrin.gif

I've missed the last few nights for various reasons, but tonight's Soundcheck was an INCREDIBLE one.

The Subways - Oh Yeah

X - Los Angeles

The Living Blue - Murderous Youth

Day One Symphony - A Vicious Circle

She Wants Revenge - These Things

Surferosa - Royal Uniform

Autolux - Here Comes Everybody

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor

The Proles - Good In Blk & Wht

Overview - American Dream Machine

Hard-Fi - Cash Machine

Antony and the Johnsons - You Are My Sister (with Boy George)

White Rose Movement - Love Is a Number

Rogue Wave - Publish My Love

Nightmare Of You - I Want to Be Buried in Your Backyard

Metric - Monster Hospital

Birdmonster - Resurrection Song

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth

Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds

Nada Surf - Always Love

Hot Chip - Over and Over

Sun Kil Moon - Ocean Breathes Salty

Alkaline Trio - Mercy Me

Minipop - Fingerprints

Lady Sovereign - 9 to 5

Send for Help - Burmese Tiger Pit

---

Like I said, very good soundcheck tonight. They played a handful of local bands on tonights show, including Minipop, Overview, Birdmonster, Send For Help and Day One Symphony. There is going to be a show at Cafe Du Nord (tiny little bar) where all 5 of them are going to do a battle of the bands kind of thing to compete for the opening slot at Not So Silent Night. Most were good, Birdmonster stood out to me.

In addition, tonight, like all soundchecks, they were giving tickets away to concerts if you called in. I was fortunate enough to be one of the first 5 callers for Autolux, so my 2nd Autolux show will be a free one. Which is great cuz its at popscene, this tiny little club that holds no more then 250 people, and I get to stand in the VIP line and get in first. PLUS!! I was talking online to a friend of mine who is going to the Nightmare of You show, and when they said to call in for tickets for that show, she told me her sister won. Both of them already had tickets, so I was promised the winning ticket. 2 free tickets, to two shows I was planning on going to this week, I'm happy biggrin.gif

Going back to the music on the setlist, there were a few standout artists. It was nice hearing a new She Wants Revenge getting played, they were great live last August at Popscene, and will be back in town for New Years. Surferosa had that swedish ABBA sound to them, but they were enjoyable. And Metric is definatly a favorite of mine, I hope they start putting that song in regular rotation. A few sleepers too, truthfully the Antony and the Johnson's was a little wierd for my taste, but I think it was due in large part to Boy George's atrocious singing.

2 free tickets in one night though, this is shaping up to be a good week biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 7 2005, 06:26 AM)
They also played the Arctic Monkeys as a way to promote thier Popscene show in November. Popscene is also owned and operated by Aaron, so every Thursday, there is always a new and emerging act playing there. Thier single is also apparently #1 in the UK right now according to him, is this correct Madra?

Yep, it was Number One about a month ago - They've been seriously tipped by NME in the UK as 'the next big thing' - not bad. I agree re : We Are Scientists - There's an Irish language station here called Radio na Gaeltachta, who after years of banning songs in English have allowed one of it's DJs introduce an alternative service at night called Anocht (Tonight) FM.

He's been championing We Are Scientists a bit, and his show is fst becoming the best on national radio.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Dec 5 2005, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 7 2005, 06:26 AM)
They also played the Arctic Monkeys as a way to promote thier Popscene show in November.  Popscene is also owned and operated by Aaron, so every Thursday, there is always a new and emerging act playing there.  Thier single is also apparently #1 in the UK right now according to him, is this correct Madra?

Yep, it was Number One about a month ago - They've been seriously tipped by NME in the UK as 'the next big thing' - not bad. I agree re : We Are Scientists - There's an Irish language station here called Radio na Gaeltachta, who after years of banning songs in English have allowed one of it's DJs introduce an alternative service at night called Anocht (Tonight) FM.

He's been championing We Are Scientists a bit, and his show is fst becoming the best on national radio.

We Are Scientists actually have gotten a bit of airplay on this show as well, though they didnt get played last night. They are going to be in SF at popscene later this month and I was planning on checking that show out. Arctic Monkeys were here as well a couple weeks ago, but I had a pressing engagement with NIN to attend to, so I wasnt able to see them, maybe next time.

Update. Live105 is now streaming from thier website, so it will be possible for anyone with an internet connection to check them out. Soundcheck also now runs from 7pm to 10pm PST, an hour longer then normal. Expect to hear new music from Built To Spill, Morrissey, Mogwai, Anti Flag, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Secret Machines and The Raconteurs (Jack White and Brendson Benson's new band). There will also be an instudio session with the band The Cloud Room.

Anyone who is free for a few hours tomorrow night, check out this broadcast. This is the best show in San Francisco for debuting new music.

Live 105 soundcheck page

Listen Live (registration required)

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 11 2006, 09:21 PM)
Update. Live105 is now streaming from thier website, so it will be possible for anyone with an internet connection to check them out. Soundcheck also now runs from 7pm to 10pm PST, an hour longer then normal. Expect to hear new music from Built To Spill, Morrissey, Mogwai, Anti Flag, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Secret Machines and The Raconteurs (Jack White and Brendson Benson's new band). There will also be an instudio session with the band The Cloud Room.

Anyone who is free for a few hours tomorrow night, check out this broadcast. This is the best show in San Francisco for debuting new music.

Live 105 soundcheck page

WOOHOO! This rocks! I'll be listening for sure now biggrin.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 11 2006, 09:21 PM)
Update.  Live105 is now streaming from thier website, so it will be possible for anyone with an internet connection to check them out.  Soundcheck also now runs from 7pm to 10pm PST, an hour longer then normal.  Expect to hear new music from Built To Spill, Morrissey, Mogwai, Anti Flag, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Secret Machines and The Raconteurs (Jack White and Brendson Benson's new band).  There will also be an instudio session with the band The Cloud Room.

Anyone who is free for a few hours tomorrow night, check out this broadcast.  This is the best show in San Francisco for debuting new music. 

Live 105 soundcheck page

WOOHOO! This rocks! I'll be listening for sure now biggrin.gif

Yeah its really a great thing they are doing. Especially with so many alternative rock stations being eaten up by Clear Channel the last few years. These guys better not get eaten up, this show alone is more important then the entire playlist of every major station in the area.

Archived