Jump to content


Star Trek


  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 KenJennings

KenJennings

    Mr. Establishment

  • Members *
  • 22735 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

There's a lot of Star Trek out there right now, and we've got a half dozen threads about different aspects of it; so I hope this thread can be a one stop shop for news and reactions to all of it.

Sponsored Post

#2 KenJennings

KenJennings

    Mr. Establishment

  • Members *
  • 22735 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:50 PM

And on this Captain Picard Day, we get a teaser for Picard Season 2.



#3 Mosher

Mosher

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:32 PM

I can't see that video, but I will say that I hope they fix Picard.

Unlike most here I really enjoyed Discovery from the beginning (despite a hate for the Klingons),

But Picard really seems to not be Trek.

And I loved DS9 and TNG, so it isn't about Picard the character or about being 'dark'

It's about the Ninja-Elf pandering to the ass-kicking audience out there and everything along that line.

There was enough to like that I watched it all, and it's definitely reparable. But oddly many of my criticisms of Picard were the criticisms others had of Discovery.

I think Discovery really fully came into its own in season three (please develop the bridge more).

I'm also really looking forward to the Pike series. I'm hoping for a bit of story of the week like TNG and TOS, but with the growth DS9 did for characters.

#4 Mosher

Mosher

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

Just watched the teaser on another site, I had heard about the de Lancie appearance and I'm fine with that. I saw nothing to indicate a change in focus, but for some reason I 'feel' positive that there will be one. I'll definitely watch it higher expectations.

#5 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

Ninja-Elf?

#6 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 98994 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

#7 Mosher

Mosher

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 17 June 2021 - 11:02 AM, said:

Ninja-Elf?

Elnor.

Fine character in another show, but feels completely ripped off from LOTR, with touches of the ubiquitous action star skills of today.

Not Trek.

Just how I feel. Did not ruin it for me, Just didn't think it belonged at all.

Edited by Mosher, 17 June 2021 - 03:49 PM.


#8 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

View PostMosher, on 17 June 2021 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 17 June 2021 - 11:02 AM, said:

Ninja-Elf?

Elnor.

Fine character in another show, but feels completely ripped off from LOTR, with touches of the ubiquitous action star skills of today.

Not Trek.

Just how I feel. Did not ruin it for me, Just didn't think it belonged at all.
I feel ya. If it were my show Picard would have been on a different mission.

#9 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:57 PM

Lower Decks is almost Rick and Morty good.

#10 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:29 PM

Where are the pics, the trailer???
https://collider.com...d4gccDM7xnQoBRA

#11 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

On again, off again...on again.
https://movieweb.com...d3ZGA_A-dZM4x5A

#12 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:11 PM

With Kurtzman signing a new 5 year deal here's a look at the future of the franchise. Let's hope that while Star Trek willing be pushing it self that Strange New Worlds will be something for the purist.
https://www.inverse....zman-cbs-picard

#13 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 32865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 11 August 2021 - 09:14 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 17 June 2021 - 02:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Her hair grew back in no time for Nighthawks 2 years later.  I'm always gonna associate her with the MST3K riffed Warrior Of The Lost World starring Robert "Paper Chase guy" Ginty.

"Not one follicle (of hair)." - Crow T Robot

#14 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 98994 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 11 August 2021 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 17 June 2021 - 02:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Her hair grew back in no time for Nighthawks 2 years later.  I'm always gonna associate her with the MST3K riffed Warrior Of The Lost World starring Robert "Paper Chase guy" Ginty.

"Not one follicle (of hair)." - Crow T Robot
I'll have to watch Nighthawks again, I've not seen it since about the late 80's.

#15 Malignant Narcissist

Malignant Narcissist

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 394 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Rush! Music, Tennis, Football(soccer), Cooking, Origami, Juggling...

Posted 12 August 2021 - 04:05 AM

Like Discovery and Picard. Actually preferred the 1st season of Discovery and thought the acting in season 3 seemed to be a bit predictable. Or maybe that's just the main character that I'm thinking of.
But it's nice how they've brought in aspects from the other series. Well, the original in particular - Pike, Archway/Guardian of forever, mirror universe etc

#16 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 32865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:48 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 11 August 2021 - 10:19 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 11 August 2021 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 17 June 2021 - 02:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Her hair grew back in no time for Nighthawks 2 years later.  I'm always gonna associate her with the MST3K riffed Warrior Of The Lost World starring Robert "Paper Chase guy" Ginty.

"Not one follicle (of hair)." - Crow T Robot
I'll have to watch Nighthawks again, I've not seen it since about the late 80's.

Saw it on Starz in the states a year ago where it usually pops up since they've play so many older Universal movies since the creation of the network.  They're even taking the current ones back from HBO for next year's movies on forth once they're done on Peacock.

Apparently, it started out as French Connection 3 but Fox turned it down and the characters got changed for it's own stand alone movie.

Edited by invisible airwave, 12 August 2021 - 06:49 PM.


#17 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2124 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:42 PM

Re-watched the JJ reboot last night with the kids and damn that was a good film. Too bad it got all f***ed up (though 'Beyond' was almost a course correction). Kids were super into it.

I thought the chemistry with the characters was palpable, and the origin story was great. Yeah Eric Bana wasn't the best bad-guy, but the writing shined and the effects still hold up very well.

#18 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 40494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:46 PM

View Postchemistry1973, on 12 August 2021 - 07:42 PM, said:

Re-watched the JJ reboot last night with the kids and damn that was a good film. Too bad it got all f***ed up (though 'Beyond' was almost a course correction). Kids were super into it.

I thought the chemistry with the characters was palpable, and the origin story was great. Yeah Eric Bana wasn't the best bad-guy, but the writing shined and the effects still hold up very well.
Eventually I learned to let go so I could enjoy the film. How could there not be a command staff officer of higher rank than Kirk available to take command?

#19 KenJennings

KenJennings

    Mr. Establishment

  • Members *
  • 22735 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:18 PM

Crush him with a boulder! lol

#20 grep

grep

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2265 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlotte, NC. Formerly from NYC.

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:56 PM

Giant space head.

This show is canon, BTW.  LOL, I love it.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users