Roll The Bones (1991): Songs Elimination (Round 6)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Where's My Thing?
    • Ghost Of A Chance
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Where's My Thing?
    • Ghost Of A Chance

Okay, with the indifferent, uninspired, and lackluster out of the way, it's time for the execrable "rap" to go. Don't let the door hit you in the gluteus max on your way out.
  • Like 1

I’ve never been as enamored with Ghost Of A Chance as most folks around here, but from here on out I’m more or less okay with any of the rest of them winning. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Why are people immunizing Roll the Bones? I don't get it it's a joke song with that "rap".

Because Wheres My Thing shouldve been the first or second song out

• Like 2

Why are people immunizing Roll the Bones? I don't get it it's a joke song with that "rap".

Because Wheres My Thing shouldve been the first or second song out

I'd have voted for that one by now, if Roll the Bones had gone by the wayside already, but there it stays!

• Like 1

The rap is crap - lyrics and delivery. I`d rather they`d sampled 60 seconds of Public Enemy.

The rap is crap - lyrics and delivery. I`d rather they`d sampled 60 seconds of Public Enemy.

Neil: "We'd even been in contact with people like Robby Robertson; we thought we'd like to try his voice on it and had contacted his office, and so on. John Cleese we thought of; we were going to do it as a joke version, get John Cleese in it: "Jack, relax." Get him to camp it up, but again from the musicality and longevity factors, that would have got tired quickly; that's the trouble with jokes."

John Cleese? Well, that would certainly have been... something completely different

• Like 3

The rap was an idea that I am not opposed to, but it doesn't really work precisely because it really sounds like they are trying too hard to slip into a niche they do not occupy. The writing isn't in a voice that they use and that makes it come off as false.

They would have been better off using an actual rapper who could rephrase Neil's words so that they ring honestly.

As a comic note it would work live as a surprise, but on an album I think it became dated almost instantly.

But it was catchy, I know it by heart.

And even so- I like the song.

I will add that using a guest vocalist has the precedent of Aimee Mann- who has an excellent solo career and is a great songwriter herself. So there are several rappers who could have done this justice. As it stands it sounds so much like someone who thinks they understand the form, but who actually really doesn't.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

The rap was an idea that I am not opposed to, but it doesn't really work precisely because it really sounds like they are trying too hard to slip into a niche they do not occupy. The writing isn't in a voice that they use and that makes it come off as false.

They would have been better off using an actual rapper who could rephrase Neil's words so that they ring honestly.

As a comic note it would work live as a surprise, but on an album I think it became dated almost instantly.

Yeah when the rap voice says "you dig?" and "homeboy" it's cringe city. All you can hope is that it's a parody and Huggy Bear comes out and gives us the "word on the street"...

Yeah when the rap voice says "you dig?" and "homeboy" it's cringe city. All you can hope is that it's a parody and Huggy Bear comes out and gives us the "word on the street"...

Just wait till the next album, they make RTB's bad rap lyrics seem like the apotheosis of authenticity.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

On a more serious note, the only song on RTB is really "dislike" is actually RTB, and really only because of that horrible (I can't remember exactly who said it, but they described it perfectly) dad rap. The rest of the song is fine. Good, even. All of RTB is pretty groovy imo. Face Up's a jaunty li'l ditty. Heresy, while a bit "contemporary easy listenin'" carries no less a message than Red Sector A. I don't really get the hostility towards them. I mean, yeah, Dreamline's easily the best tune on the album, but it's a decent album.

Maybe I'm prejudiced because it's the first Rush album I bought with my own money.

Neil: "We'd even been in contact with people like Robby Robertson; we thought we'd like to try his voice on it and had contacted his office, and so on. John Cleese we thought of; we were going to do it as a joke version, get John Cleese in it: "Jack, relax." Get him to camp it up, but again from the musicality and longevity factors, that would have got tired quickly; that's the trouble with jokes."

John Cleese? Well, that would certainly have been... something completely different

RTB the song was always my opportunity to take piss break and then pick up a fresh beer. The only times I've ever walked out on a Rush setlist.

66776195.jpg
  • Like 2

Ian-Nodding-Yes.gif

Out: Where's My Thing?

Your-Post-Is-Bad.gif

Will-Ferrell-LOL.gif
  • Like 1