Roll The Bones (1991): Songs Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

21 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Face Up
    • Where's My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Heresy
    • Ghost Of A Chance
    • Neurotica
    • You Bet Your Life
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Face Up
    • Where's My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Heresy
    • Ghost Of A Chance
    • Neurotica
    • You Bet Your Life
  3. 3. Just an extra question... which do you prefer?

Roll the Bones is another album like Presto where if I take about the top 5 songs it makes a good album, but unfortunately there are quite a few average or below average songs that bring it down. I won't say I dislike either album because they each have some great tunes, but both are inconsistent and could've used better production. I've noticed I prefer live versions of several Roll the Bones tracks, which is unusual since I almost always prefer studio versions.

I've never really cared for You Bet Your Life. It has always kind of reminded me of We Didn't Start the Fire, another song I dislike.

I've never really cared for You Bet Your Life. It has always kind of reminded me of We Didn't Start the Fire, another song I dislike.

WHAT
  • Like 1

I've noticed I prefer live versions of several Roll the Bones tracks, which is unusual since I almost always prefer studio versions.

After streaming Bowie's Loving The Alien box set a couple of times, I say the same can be said for some songs on Never Let Me Down from his Glass Spider tour and I'm sure he would agree since he disowned that album and even took Too Dizzy out of the remaster since he hated it so much.

WHAT

"WHAT" that I don't like it? Or you don't see the connection? Or that I don't like We Didn't Start the Fire? (Or all of the above? :D)

My aversion to We Didn't Start the Fire may have something to do with a school project where we each had to do a report on something mentioned in the song. I swear the teacher played that song a hundred times over.

WHAT

"WHAT" that I don't like it? Or you don't see the connection? Or that I don't like We Didn't Start the Fire? (Or all of the above? :D)

My aversion to We Didn't Start the Fire may have something to do with a school project where we each had to do a report on something mentioned in the song. I swear the teacher played that song a hundred times over.

Both the connection and the fact you don't like that Billy Joel tune.

I had to vote "neither" for the last question.

Though I would say I find Presto more consistent, while Roll the Bones has higher highs, but also lower lows

RUSH's most successful album in terms of songs that charted. The slick production doesn't bother me, just the last two tracks are really, really bad. Neurotica has a great intro, though.
  • Like 1

This could get tricky later on, as there are a few songs that I can`t summon up anything of beyond a chorus. Might play it safe and vote for Where`s My Thing? each time: no bad lyrics.
  • Like 1

RUSH's most successful album in terms of songs that charted. The slick production doesn't bother me, just the last two tracks are really, really bad. Neurotica has a great intro, though.

Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity! - Niles Crane.
  • Like 2

These later albums are the diametric opposite of the classic albums, where you're spoiled for choice to eliminate as oppose to being spoiled for choice to be the overall winner.
  • Like 2

I'm assuming Dreamline will win the album title, which I agree with.

But it's quite safe.

I actually like You Bet Your Life- and I hate We Didn't Start the Fire.

Neurotica doesn't bother me at all, like Goose said it starts well. But it was always going to be Neurotica or You Bet that lose the first round. So I'm protecting You Bet merely because I like it.

There are songs I like less on this album, but they're all safe. There are no songs I dislike on Roll the Bones.

RTB is Rush's worst. However it's nothing to do with the title track, which succeeds endearingly even through the cheesy rap from a great guitar solo, some nice funky riffs, and great melodies in an extended arrangement. I also saw it live so I'm biased there. Most of the second half of the album is pretty beat, but the worst offender is Heresy, with Neurotica close behind. Both of these songs are the dregs of RTB's weak mastering, and the songwriting is whiny and wimpy. Neurotica gets a slight past for being slightly more uptempo and for leftover grace of the Def Leppard song it's ripping off, so Heresy is the worst.

There, that'll probably rile up some people, lol. Just my opinion!

RTB is Rush's worst. However it's nothing to do with the title track, which succeeds endearingly even through the cheesy rap from a great guitar solo, some nice funky riffs, and great melodies in an extended arrangement. I also saw it live so I'm biased there. Most of the second half of the album is pretty beat, but the worst offender is Heresy, with Neurotica close behind. Both of these songs are the dregs of RTB's weak mastering, and the songwriting is whiny and wimpy. Neurotica gets a slight past for being slightly more uptempo and for leftover grace of the Def Leppard song it's ripping off, so Heresy is the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRs6AmQEkEo

I'm assuming Dreamline will win the album title, which I agree with.

But it's quite safe.

I actually like You Bet Your Life- and I hate We Didn't Start the Fire.

Neurotica doesn't bother me at all, like Goose said it starts well. But it was always going to be Neurotica or You Bet that lose the first round. So I'm protecting You Bet merely because I like it.

There are songs I like less on this album, but they're all safe. There are no songs I dislike on Roll the Bones.

Good songwriting that won't appeal to hardcore proggies, but is accessible to those that appreciate tighter arrangements.

Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity! - Niles Crane.

Consider the source! - everyone else

Though I would say I find Presto more consistent, while Roll the Bones has higher highs, but also lower lows

A decent assessment.
  • Like 1

You misspelled 'Madrigal'.

A decent assessment.

A think a lot of the songs on here have higher highs and lower lows e.g. You bet your life starts off wells then plumbs the depths.

Actually I think all of the songs have highs (sort of) and lows without being consistent in quality - apart from Dreamline, Bravado and Ghost of a Chance which, to me, seem consistent in what their trying to do, whether you like them or not.

Ghost is my personal fave with the 'another-high-energy-opener-Rush-can-do-in-their-sleep'-Dreamline 2nd.

Don't get the blasting Neurotica gets - it's not the worst on offer here.