Presto (1989): Songs Elimination (Round 3)

_hi_water._

19 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

2. 2. Eliminate:

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Presto
    • Red Tide
    • Available Light

Show Don't Tell - 0 eliminate votes, 3 immune votes -3

Chain Lightning - 3 eliminate votes, 3 immune votes 0

The Pass - 3 eliminate votes, 7 immune votes -4

War Paint - 4 eliminate votes, 1 immune vote 3

Presto - 1 eliminate vote, 2 immune votes -1

Superconductor - 7 eliminate votes, 2 immune votes 5

Red Tide - 1 eliminate vote, 2 immune votes -1

Available Light - 3 eliminate votes, 2 immune votes 1

"Superconductor" has been eliminated.

11. "Anagram (For Mongo)"

10. "Scars"

9. "Hand Over Fist"

8. "Superconductor"

I'll say it again, this is a tough album to choose from. There's a lot of great songs here. Final rounds are going to be brutal. Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Even if a couple of people, which I can name two usernames in particular including "Ibanez" are being sarcastic by saying about arguing, angry, upset, and pissed, might not be able to actually tell the difference between a person, individual, and people, who are, and or aren't without knowing them first. I haven't liked, and have laughed how a few people say they aren't going to pick, and choose Rush songs, then they decide to do it, anyways. Talk about not being honest, and keeping their words. We have another person, who has took the time to do this, and he wasn't consistent with counting immunes, keeps, eliminations, and tiebreakers. Edited by Derek19

I'll say it again, this is a tough album to choose from. There's a lot of great songs here. Final rounds are going to be brutal.

:laughing guy:

Good one

• Like 3

Same vote as last round -

In: The Pass

Out: War Paint

Ridiculous. War Paint is a great song. Like the way the same riffs sound feminine or masculine depending on who Geddy is singing about. Red Tide is sort..well...meh. Thin, uninspired.

• Like 2

Ridiculous. War Paint is a great song. Like the way the same riffs sound feminine or masculine depending on who Geddy is singing about. Red Tide is sort..well...meh. Thin, uninspired.

Ridiculous? .... not really. As the saying goes, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Part of the rich tapestry of life!!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

It is a bummer to see so many votes eliminating War Paint.

Good song, but every other song that's currently still in the elimination is better IMO
  • Like 1

They all kinda suck but

I: SDT

E: The Pass

Edited by laughedatbytime

I have this theory that you guys n gals may or may not shoot down that the change in style at this point and maybe from Power Windows onwards was down to Geddy concentrating more on 'crafting' songs rather than making songs around riffs that he and Alex maybe came up with from jamming together or separately. So I theorise that Alex's influence was more around how to bring some guitar parts to Ged's songs rather than the other way around.

I might be completely off of course. But I think that it makes for more songs that are well-crafted pop-rock or whatever you want to call it rather than hard-rocking or prog-type riff stuff that probably came from Alex's (and Ged's?) noodling in the past.

Neil stated in The Lighted Stage doc that they tried to play to their strengths and Alex's strength was suggested to be jamming around on his guitar and they'd record it all to pick out the nuggets that they'd use later. I'm sure he brought more to the table than that but I think it was suggested that Geddy was the one who was a bit more disciplined with song creation.

So my back-of-a-fagpacket theory is that that's why this era and this album became a bit 'meh' for some who longed for more hard-rocking or riff-based stuff.

I've got Alex's solo album and it is very guitar-riff based but I haven't heard Geddy's '..headache..' album although I've caught a bit of it occasionally and my 1st thoughts were that it was reminiscent of this era.

So those who keep saying 'meh' to this stuff, blame Geddy for learning how to write songs (properly?). I'm (obviously) joking there but one could argue that maybe he was composing more on keyboards rather than trying to 'craft' songs (on paper?).

• Like 1

Ridiculous? .... not really. As the saying goes, one man's meat is another man's Madrigal.

fixed
  • Like 1