Presto (1989): Songs Elimination (Round 2)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Let's immune/keep:

2. 2. Let's eliminate:

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Red Tide
    • Available Light
  3. 3. Who gets 10th Place?

Show Don't Tell - 1 eliminate vote, 2 immune votes - -1

Chain Lightning - 3 eliminate votes, 4 immune votes - -1

The Pass - 0 eliminate votes, 8 immune votes - -8

War Paint - 4 eliminate votes, 0 immune votes - 4

Scars - 8 eliminate votes, 3 immune votes - 5

Presto - 1 eliminate vote, 5 immune votes - -4

Superconductor - 4 eliminate votes, 2 immune votes - 2

Anagram - 8 eliminate votes, 2 immune votes - 6

Red Tide - 4 eliminate votes, 2 immune votes - 2

Hand Over Fist - 7 eliminate votes , 2 immune votes - 5

Available Light - 2 eliminate votes, 3 immune votes - -1

"Anagram (For Mongo)" will take last place. However, we have to determine who takes 10th and 9th place for "Scars" and "Hand Over Fist".

11. "Anagram (For Mongo)"

10. ???

9. ???

For loving to liking Rush songs from "Presto", here is mine.

Available Light

Show Don't Tell

the Pass

Presto

(Tie. On "Hold Your Fire", similar to "Second Nature", and "Open Secrets", these two songs can switch.) Scars

War Paint

Chain Lightning

Superconductor

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Anagram (For Mongo)

You'd think the most rocking tracks, Superconductor and Red tide, would hold more sway amongst fans of a prog rock band but I guess you lot like the 'poppier' stuff.

I know Superconductor is a bit of marmite track but for me, it's head and shoulders above everything. But what do I know? And I like marmite!! :chickendance:

Keep: The Pass

Ditch: War Paint

To my mind these sound ok but kind of similar. Both arpeggio-driven-style tracks (unless my memory's gone) that sound alike...apart from the 'boys and girls together...' stuff near the end of War Paint.

But what do I know (yet again apparently).

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot that Superconductor is one of the worst Rush songs ever.

And I'm sorry that you're missing out on one of their best songs ever. Well, not their best ever but still a good 'ol rocker compared to the average POP stuff on display here.

• Like 1

Then I do not get it with that song.

It's not 1st time members have a diff opinion about tracks and it won't be the last. That's part of the fun of these polls isn't it?

I also don't get why some don't like this song. Maybe it's the stop-start nature of the riff, maybe it's just something else. We all hear things a little differently. At least we agree on liking a certain band from Toronto. ;)

It's not 1st time members have a diff opinion about tracks and it won't be the last. That's part of the fun of these polls isn't it?

I also don't get why some don't like this song. Maybe it's the stop-start nature of the riff, maybe it's just something else. We all hear things a little differently. At least we agree on liking a certain band from Toronto. ;)

I’ve never quite understood the extra hate for this one either, but I think it has something to do with either the corny repeating deep vocal on the hook, or.... the Xanaconductor debacle.

I’ve never quite understood the extra hate for this one either, but I think it has something to do with either the corny repeating deep vocal on the hook, or.... the Xanaconductor debacle.

I'm intrigued. What is the Xanaconductor debacle? Should I be ashamed that I don't know that as a Rush fan?

See, I barely pay attention to the deep vocal but I'm focused on the riff and driving nature of the song. Prob various reasons why people don't like this or certain songs though I'm guessing.

maybe it's just something else.

I think it is more that it is a pedestrian lick.

Edit: Xanaconductor is a reference to Xanadu seguing into Superconductor on the Roll the Bones tour.

Edited by 78jazz

Keep: The Pass

Ditch: War Paint

To my mind these sound ok but kind of similar. Both arpeggio-driven-style tracks (unless my memory's gone) that sound alike...apart from the 'boys and girls together...' stuff near the end of War Paint.

But what do I know (yet again apparently).

I think my problem is that I find quite a lot of the album 'just ok' and War Paint fits that bill.

For some reason The Pass just resonates with me.

• Like 2