Presto (1989): Songs Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

20 members have voted

1. 1. Let's immune/keep... (Choose 1 or 2)

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Scars
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Anagram (For Mongo)
    • Red Tide
    • Hand Over Fist
    • Available Light
  2. 2. Let's eliminate... (Choose 1 or 2)

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Scars
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Anagram (For Mongo)
    • Red Tide
    • Hand Over Fist
    • Available Light

Having just had another quick listen to this I find the trouble with this album is that there's not much between all of the tracks. I have a couple of faves that stand out for me but I' m guessing there's not much to choose between all of these for most people.

Personally, I couldn't pick out any that I didn't like, they are all at least ok. I guess it's just not memorable compared to other albums (or am I saying the obvious again!).

Difficult to know where to start. This first vote is without a recent listen. I will listen to the album tomorrow.

Immune: The Pass (I would have chosen not to vote for any but I don't think that's an option.)

Eliminate: First two that spring to mind are Anagram & Scars

Edited by zepphead

I like Presto a good deal. I think, tinny production/mastering aside, many of the songs hold up as little nuggets of pop prowess. However there is certainly filler, and Anagram and Hand Over Fist both fit that description. Immunity for my favorite track, Available Light, and for Presto which is a win in the songwriting department even if it sounds way better live.

For me, about half the album is great and half is average to weak. I do find it is a very pleasant album to listen to, but some of the tracks I'd rarely listen to individually.

I've never gotten into Superconductor. I know some really like it but I can't seem to get into it. Anagram is fairly boring musically so I also went with that one.

Voting on the late 70s albums was very difficult as I love all of those songs and didn't want to eliminate any of them.

Voting on this one will also be very difficult as I am not much of a fan of this album, never play the entire album anymore, and not as much familiar with the tracks. At least I won't get sentimental in the least bit if certain songs are eliminated.

The way the poll is set up you can choose to eliminate everything. The way Presto sounds, that option is tempting but I'll be nice and only vote to eliminate two.

the bigger oroblem, when it comes to Presto at least, is that you're forced to vote to keep one song.

• Like 1

Water, if you read this, I thought of saying this earlier. I don't know if you noticed, and realized, "Ibanez" did more, than two "eliminates". Either he can change, and limit it back to a maximum of two, or don't count his, since he did more, than that. Maybe, have him not included in anymore of Rush's Presto. Edited by Derek19

Water, if you read this, I thought of saying this earlier. I don't know if you noticed, and realized, "Ibanez" did more, than two "eliminates". Either he can change, and limit it back to a maximum of two, or don't count his, since he did more, than that. Maybe, not have him included in anymore of Rush's Presto.

i will withdraw my votes if all the Dereks, 1-18 included, agree.
  • Like 1

It's going to be a bitter end. Show Don't Tell, The Pass, War Paint, and Superconductor. All great songs.
  • Like 1

This album really runs the gamut from A to B . . .

Keep: The Pass

First Out: uh . . . can't go wrong here . . . so, "Red Tide," a song I can't remember at all.

A to B and back again! If Presto had been released as a standalone single with no B-side and no accompanying album, I`d give it a C+. Those other songs drag it down to the realms of my History A Level when I completed the two years` work in the last four days :16ton:
  • Like 1

This album really runs the gamut from A to B . . .

Keep: The Pass

First Out: uh . . . can't go wrong here . . . so, "Red Tide," a song I can't remember at all.

You should listen to Red Tide again like I did recently. It may be suffering from late-in-the-track-listing syndrome.

It's one of the best on this album in my opinion. (Which means it will probably still get voted out by everyone else!).