The Devil's Horns DIO sign

treeduck

So I was going through my Ronnie James Dio collection of Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio albums getting ready for my later on in my continuing listening series THE SCHEDULE ™ ® ℠, and I got to thinking about DIO and the whole devil's horns gesture. Then I thought, I've seen that somewhere recently, now where was it? So I was thinking where've I seen it? It can't be on those albums I just listened to from 1969...? So I checked, and YES here it is!

yellow-submarine-609e899a9f5ec.jpg

• Like 6

So I was going through my Ronnie James Dio collection of Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio albums getting ready for my later on in my continuing listening series THE SCHEDULE ™ ® ℠, and I got to thinking about DIO and the whole devil's horns gesture. Then I thought, I've seen that somewhere recently, now where was it? So I was thinking where've I seen it? It can't be on those albums I just listened to from 1969...? So I checked, and YES here it is!

yellow-submarine-609e899a9f5ec.jpg

The Beatles probably got it from the yoga thing they were into at the time, whereas Dio probably got it from his Italian heritage. Like most things, the horns have been around for a thousand years meaning loads of different things :codger:
  • Like 1

It's a hand gesture that's been around forever. Dio gets credit for "creating" it because he did it so often live that it caught on with the rock/metal community. Dio said he got it from his grandmother. It's an old Italian superstition. Throw the horns up and you are protecting yourself from the evil eye. Throw the horns in a downward direction and you're giving the evil eye to someone.

I wonder if there are any interviews with whoever drew the cover for Yellow Submarine that would tell you why they decided to have John do that.

• Like 2

It's a hand gesture that's been around forever. Dio gets credit for "creating" it because he did it so often live that it caught on with the rock/metal community. Dio said he got it from his grandmother. It's an old Italian superstition. Throw the horns up and you are protecting yourself from the evil eye. Throw the horns in a downward direction and you're giving the evil eye to someone.

I wonder if there are any interviews with whoever drew the cover for Yellow Submarine that would tell you why they decided to have John do that.

Because Paul is dead, of course!
  • Like 2

Dio certainly popularised it.

Here is a 1969 album rear cover from early doom rockers Coven

coven_album_cover_devil_horns.jpg?w=599&h=600&q=75

The first track on this album is called ...... Black Sabbath!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 5

Featuring a supposed actual black mass. A fun, creepy album whose music is a stark contrast to their hit One Tin Soldier from Billy Jack.
  • Like 1

Always thought it was pretty gay myself....

So then you like it huh?

Of course dahling xxx

What about your birthday thread? Have you not seen that yet?

Nope...will segue over and take a look

• Like 1

Bass player’s name is...Oz Osbourne (seriously)!!!

This came out 6 months before the BS debut.

• Like 1

Really weird connections to the two bands. Coven can't be accused of jumping on any band-wagon because as you rightly say, they had their album out there first. Edited by zepphead

Really weird connections to the two bands. Coven can't be accused of jumping on any band-wagon because as you rightly say, they had their album out there first.

Don`t let the names Greg Osborne and John Osbourne spoil the story :laughing guy:

BTW, Esther "Jinx" Dawson was a lot hotter than Ozzy.

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Really weird connections to the two bands. Coven can't be accused of jumping on any band-wagon because as you rightly say, they had their album out there first.

They're the same band from an alternate universe, and right after the album came out they disappeared into another dimension. :aliensmiley:

• Like 1

Everyone in the camp was trying to find ways to fend off Yoko.

• Like 1

Is this the band that did Come To The Sabbat?

• Like 1

Is this the band that did Come To The Sabbat?

They had a roadie called Ward Butler.

• Like 1

Everyone in the camp was trying to find ways to fend off Yoko.

paul-mccartney-with-mick-jagger-1024x697.jpg

• Like 1

51203239936_df7f71b9a2_z.jpg

Keith Richards on whether the name of The Beatles’ last album inspired one of The Rolling Stones’ albums

In a 1971 interview with Robert Greenfield of Rolling Stone, Richards discussed everything from Chuck Berry to Phil Spector to the death of Brian Jones. Greenfeld asked Richards if the Fab Four’s final outing inspired the title of Let It Bleed. Although The Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed slightly before The Beatles released their similarly-titled album, the two bands worked on the albums simultaneously, so it’s possible the Fab Four inspired The Rolling Stones. Richards had some contradictory things to say about this matter.

“Just a coincidence because you’re working along the same lines at the same time at the same age as a lot of other cats. All trying to do the same thing basically, turn themselves and other people on. ‘Let It Bleed’ was just one line in that song Mick [Jagger] wrote. It became the title . . . we just kicked a line out. We didn’t know what to call that song. We’d gone through ‘Take my arm, take my leg’ and we’d done the track.” Then, Richards expressed a different sentiment.

“We dug that song so . . . maybe there was some influence because Let It Be had been kicked around for years for their movie, for that album. Let it . . . be something. Let it out. Let it loose.” Judging from Richards’ comment, it’s unclear if the title of The Beatles’ final album inspired Let It Bleed — but it’s clear which of the albums the public liked better.

Is this the band that did ComeTo The Sabbat?

That would be Mercyful Fate. \m/

• Like 3

Is this the band that did ComeTo The Sabbat?

That would be Mercyful Fate. \m/

I saw King Diamond live for the first time in 2014. I still haven't washed all the evil off of me yet.

• Like 3