Questions about the eliminations...

_hi_water._

11 members have voted

1. 1. So what should we do with the "immune option" ?

• Keep it the way it always has been.
    • Keep it, but whoever wins the "immunity" section gets immunity for that round. However, if that same song also gets the most eliminate votes, the second most voted song to be eliminated will get eliminated.
    • Abolish the immune option.
    • I'll let other people have their say/not sure.
  2. 2. Upcoming results (and past results)...

• Let's keep the results the way they should be (first option above).
    • Let's change the results (second & third option above).
    • Let's have different results as if it was the way it has been and the new way.
  3. 3. Would you like to see past results in a different order to see what it would've been like if different?

• Yes!
    • No!

In case you haven't noticed, there has been some beef going around in "Hold Your Fire (1987): Songs Elimination (Round 7)". TRFers were talking about the options to "Immune" a song.

Here's the thread:

http://www.therushfo...nation-round-7/

We're almost done with the classic 12 albums, and I really wanted to do the post-HYF albums (we might as well start off those eliminations with choosing a couple songs to eliminate).

We can definitely make these eliminations continue, I just want to know what y'all have to say about it, because I feel bad when I seem to piss people off, or at the very least leaving people scratching their heads.

Reply to this post if you have any questions. Feel free.

Edited by _hi_water._

So your first option of keeping it how it's always been - is that what you described yesterday as immune votes cancel out elimination votes, but a song can still be eliminated if it ends up with the most elimination votes, even if it gets the most immune votes? For example, Turn The Page got 10 elimination votes, but it got 7 immune votes (more than any other song) for a net of 3 adjusted elimination votes. That was the most of any song's adjusted elimination votes.

If that's how you've always been doing this, and there have been other times you've had to work those numbers, then I get it. I just never looked closely enough at your work to notice that's how you were treating immunity.

Immunity to me means that even if a song gets really hated on, if it wins immunity in a round, it is safe for that round. And even that can cause its own problems.

So your first option of keeping it how it's always been - is that what you described yesterday as immune votes cancel out elimination votes, but a song can still be eliminated if it ends up with the most elimination votes, even if it gets the most immune votes? For example, Turn The Page got 10 elimination votes, but it got 7 immune votes (more than any other song) for a net of 3 adjusted elimination votes. That was the most of any song's adjusted elimination votes.

If that's how you've always been doing this, and there have been other times you've had to work those numbers, then I get it. I just never looked closely enough at your work to notice that's how you were treating immunity.

Immunity to me means that even if a song gets really hated on, if it wins immunity in a round, it is safe for that round. And even that can cause its own problems.

In some cases, a song that is hated on could be immune for a round, if there's enough immune votes to cancel out the eliminate votes.

In some cases, a song that is hated on could be immune for a round, if there's enough immune votes to cancel out the eliminate votes.

It seems entirely possible that you may have missed his point.

This whole series has been a lot of fun, especially as we've moved into later albums where the top picks are less obvious. Thanks for doing all the work, h-w!
  • Like 2

With Presto an elimination choice of all of the above should be instituted.

_hi_water could save everyone the pretence of picking a favourite from the next few records by increasing elimination to 7 or 8 songs each round, then we could pick from the remaining 2 or 3 and move on.
  • Like 1

I'm listening to Chain Lightning right now, and it sounds great.

I loved Presto upon its release, and still do. Guitars and drums up front. 80s Casio synth influence gone. Fantastic vocals from Geddy. Strong lyrics from Neil (with a couple of notable exceptions). It's recorded at a low volume, with little bottom end, but I adjust that with my stereo and it sounds fine.

• Like 4

Chain Lightning is my favorite off Presto. It took on greater meaning to me when Neil suffered the passing of his daughter. I had young children myself at that time and this song, about watching the sky with his daughter, resonated.

Edited by Mosher

Chain Lightning is my favorite off Presto. It took on greater meaning to me when Neil suffered the passing of his daughter. I had young children myself at that time and this song, about watching the sky with his daughter, resonated.

:yes: