choose one  

20 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
    • Huey Lewis And The News - Sports
  2. 2. artist

• Sting
    • Huey Lewis And The News

In the wake of the Police break up, this was the closest thing we got to a new Police album. The reworking of Shadows in the Rain was great.

Demographically, I should love Huey. But I don't. I won't change the station if he comes on, but I also don't ever NEED to listen to some Huey.

• Like 4

Love pretty much all of Sting's solo work, until he started getting all weird with the lute or whatever it's called, all those medieval instruments!
  • Like 3

Sports has so many great pop songs I remember fondly -- it sounds like summer to me, so it gets my vote. Demographics is destiny!

But! Sting was a better musician with more interesting ideas -- for a while, at least -- so he gets the artist vote.

• Like 3

This was kind of hard, but not really. I love the Police, but the only solo Sting album I really like is Ten Summoner's Tales.

Sports has such great pop songs, and captures so much of the 80's. Those songs seemed to be everywhere the year it was released. (I'm not kidding- I was taking ski lessons and they were playing it there :lol:) I think the artists are about equal in talent but I picked Huey Lewis just because I feel that way today.

• Like 3

This was kind of hard, but not really. I love the Police, but the only solo Sting album I really like is Ten Summoner's Tales.

Sports has such great pop songs, and captures so much of the 80's. Those songs seemed to be everywhere the year it was released. (I'm not kidding- I was taking ski lessons and they were playing it there :lol:) I think the artists are about equal in talent but I picked Huey Lewis just because I feel that way today.

you kinda nailed it here. Certain 80's albums make me wish i had be like a teen in the 80's. i was born in 85. so i remember like flashes of the late 80's. but man albums like Sports make me wish i could have been older back then.

Mick

• Like 2

In the wake of the Police break up, this was the closest thing we got to a new Police album. The reworking of Shadows in the Rain was great.

Demographically, I should love Huey. But I don't. I won't change the station if he comes on, but I also don't ever NEED to listen to some Huey.

^^^ This

• Like 1

you kinda nailed it here. Certain 80's albums make me wish i had be like a teen in the 80's. i was born in 85. so i remember like flashes of the late 80's. but man albums like Sports make me wish i could have been older back then.

Mick

Definitely a case of 'be careful what you wish for'. I was born in 1975, and had to endure Huey in constant radio rotation, on top of my own uninformed cassette purchases and playback of his music. One of the 1980s artists that I feel are highly overrated and put on a nostalgia induced pedestal. If I want this brand rock, I put my money where my eddie is.

Edited by stoopid

Sports is one of the best pop albums of all time.

First album I remember hearing. I was 3 when it came out and my dad played it a lot.

Huey Lewis and The News was the first rock band I saw live. I can't actually remember the year. But I was 9 or 10 when it happened. So, it would have been been in '87 or '88.

Huey Lewis- Sports

He never gets brought up in the world of music much now, but I can see from looking him up online that he was huge back then, and listening to his music is NEVER a chore.

As for Sting, I grew up hearing his solo work and this album is nice. But no match for Sports, in my opinion.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Omar Hakim is reason enough to vote for Blue Turtles.

Yep

I saw that tour. I think omar did that tour. Great show and record.

Jealous! Hakim, Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland, Darryl Jones - that was a seriously heavy band.

• Like 1

Sports is one of the best pop albums of all time.

First album I remember hearing. I was 3 when it came out and my dad played it a lot.

Huey Lewis and The News was the first rock band I saw live. I can't actually remember the year. But I was 9 or 10 when it happened. So, it would have been been in '87 or '88.

Oddly enough, since I'm a subscriber to his videos, that's actually the first band that Brad "Cinema Snob" Jones saw live in concert with his dad that he's mentioned in interviews and internet AMAs.

Huey Lewis- Sports

He never gets brought up in the world of music much now, but I can see from looking him up online that he was huge back then

I heard that rumor too but I never really wanted to see for myself, online or otherwise.

Huey Lewis- Sports

He never gets brought up in the world of music much now, but I can see from looking him up online that he was huge back then

I heard that rumor too but I never really wanted to see for myself, online or otherwise.

In that case, avoid Robert Altman's Short Cuts. The carpets do match the drapes for Julianne Moore, though.

Edited by invisible airwave

Omar Hakim is reason enough to vote for Blue Turtles.

Yep

I saw that tour. I think omar did that tour. Great show and record.

Jealous! Hakim, Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland, Darryl Jones - that was a seriously heavy band.

I listen to the live Bring on the Night album fairly often.
  • Like 2